Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who do you WANT to be the Flames starting goalie in 2017–18?
Ryan Miller (UFA) 0 0%
Jonathan Bernier (UFA) 0 0%
Steve Mason (UFA) 0 0%
Brian Elliott (UFA) 0 0%
Chad Johnson (UFA) 0 0%
Mike Condon (UFA) 0 0%
Philipp Grubauer (Trade) 0 0%
Calvin Pickard (Trade) 0 0%
Marc Andre-Fleury (Trade) 0 0%
Jaroslav Halak (Trade) 0 0%
Antti Raanta (Trade) 0 0%
Cam Ward (Trade) 0 0%
Joonis Korpisalo (Trade) 0 0%
Mike Smith (Trade) 0 0%
Jon Gillies 0 0%
David Rittich 0 0%
Peter Mrazek (Trade) 0 0%
Micheal Neuvirth (Trade) 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 05:23 AM   #161
Flames_F.T.W
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm not dead set on any one goalie, but the team needs a homerun here. They can't have another season of questionable goaltending. That probably means Bishop of MAF as they are amongst the most proven available goalies.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:55 AM   #162
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Elliott at 2.5M is basically being run out of town because of two poor games. I can only imagine how bad it's going to be if Calgary goes out and signs a 6-7M goalie and they don't meet the fans' lofty expectations. It's not going to be pretty.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to StrykerSteve For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2017, 06:19 AM   #163
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

I voted Ben Bishop as if they can get him at a decent cost that would be the answer, but if he`s expensive then MAF in a trade as while expensive, only two years left and then can hopefully turn to one of the prospects.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:55 AM   #164
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post
Elliott at 2.5M is basically being run out of town because of two poor games. I can only imagine how bad it's going to be if Calgary goes out and signs a 6-7M goalie and they don't meet the fans' lofty expectations. It's not going to be pretty.
No kidding, it's going to be ugly
Old 04-26-2017, 07:01 AM   #165
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's not just two bad games. It's the fact that I never know which Elliott is going to show up. Too streaky and inconsistent to be a starter.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2017, 07:05 AM   #166
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
It's not just two bad games. It's the fact that I never know which Elliott is going to show up. Too streaky and inconsistent to be a starter.
We'll just have to agree to disagree on that front. He had a tough start to the season, new team, new baby, basically an all new life. I can forgive and forget. After that, he was rock solid the rest of the way once he got the starter's net back.

Those last two games just came at the worst possible time and are what most people will remember him for. Fact is, this team doesn't make the playoffs without him. Not to mention he's been equally as solid for the past few years in STL, leading the league in most goaltending stats.

Last edited by StrykerSteve; 04-26-2017 at 07:10 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to StrykerSteve For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2017, 07:23 AM   #167
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

He was good for about 1/3 of the season. He almost cost the team getting to the playoffs in the first place. He then was poor in the final three games, and may well have cost the team the series at he most important time of the year.

That is all a bit different than having 2 bad games all year.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:30 AM   #168
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Now is the time to find our Talbot, Andersen, Dubnyk, Jones, Lehner, etc.
What if his name is Gillies?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 04-26-2017, 07:36 AM   #169
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Who do you WANT the Flames Starting Goalie To Be Next Season

Quote:

He's not being run out of town because of 2 games though.

October, November, December - he was not a good goalie.

January, February, March - he was a good goalie.

Playoffs - he was not a good goalie

He split his season in half - with one half being great, and one being awful. That alone is not what you want from a starting goalie. The hope was that his great play would continue into the playoffs, but it didn't. He fell apart.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2017, 07:38 AM   #170
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
What if his name is Gillies?
I'd bet on Parsons, but either way would be a huge success for the Flames.

I think that is why it is key not to commit too much term/dollars to whoever the bring in.

I'd actually be fine with Elliott if not for the 3rd rounder at re-signing.

Treliving will sort it out.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:43 AM   #171
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree. I think you do have to put in a stopgap for the next 2-3 years, an experienced goalie who can transition from starter to backup over that period, with the hope that one of the kids steps in.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 04-26-2017, 08:21 AM   #172
Slap_Shoot_the_Super_Shot
Draft Pick

It's hard to comprehend that after this trying season and super disappointing playoffs, that there are fans who support bringing back Brian Elliott for another kick-at-the-can as our starting goaltender.

Other than the fact he will cost us an upcoming third round draft pick, he also cost us a playoff series. The 10 game winning streak shadowed what was really a disappointing season from an expected starting goaltender:

0-3-1 vs. the Oilers
0-4 vs. the Ducks (Regular season and playoffs)
1-1-1 vs. the Canucks
6-7-2 vs. Pacific Division

In the 16 games he lost in the regular season, his GAA was 3.61, in the playoffs he had a 3.89 GAA. These aren't stats and outcomes of a successful starting goaltender that is going to give this team the opportunity to improve next season and make some noise in the playoffs.

I agree that there isn't a plethora of amazing or team altering UFA goaltenders available this off-season, but with the expansion draft and amount of GM roster alterations that will have to happen, we need to aim for someone that is going to have a big impact on this team, instills confidence in the forwards and D and who can steal 4 or 5 games on their own. Settling for another backup or 2nd tier goalie as your starter again will be completely unacceptable.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slap_Shoot_the_Super_Shot For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2017, 08:25 AM   #173
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Quote:
We'll just have to agree to disagree on that front. He had a tough start to the season, new team, new baby, basically an all new life. I can forgive and forget. After that, he was rock solid the rest of the way once he got the starter's net back.

Those last two games just came at the worst possible time and are what most people will remember him for. Fact is, this team doesn't make the playoffs without him. Not to mention he's been equally as solid for the past few years in STL, leading the league in most goaltending stats.
All of that is true, but go and have a look at his playoff performance prior to last year. Last year's playoff's scream outlier when viewed in context with the rest of his career. It's too bad because I agree with your assessment above up until the playoff stuff. I think there is enough info to say that he does not perform in the playoffs.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:31 AM   #174
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Has anyone done the leg work to see which of the potentially available goalies has the best record against the pacific? Just curious.

Edit - hockeyreference.com seems to have this info. Career highlights for Bishop for example

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...hobe01/splits/

vs. Anaheim 7-0-2
vs. Los Angeles 4-2-0
vs. Vancouver 4-3-0
vs. Edmonton 5-1-1
vs. Arizona 3-1-2

My goodness, that record vs. Anaheim...

Last edited by Toonage; 04-26-2017 at 08:37 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2017, 08:39 AM   #175
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is laughable. 2 bad games? Elliott was beyond brutal and his play was a huge reason the Flames were in 30th place mid November.

He redeemed himself from that performance by going on his late season run but cemented his fate with that first round series. Why are we giving up a 3rd rounder (conditional pick we have to send to the Blues if we re-sign him) when he already proved to be a failure?

I agree if we spend on a goalie there are going to be expectations but if the Flames do spend $6M on a goalie then rightfully so the fans will be pissed
Old 04-26-2017, 08:40 AM   #176
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Has anyone done the leg work to see which of the potentially available goalies has the best record against the pacific? Just curious.

Edit - hockeyreference.com seems to have this info. Career highlights for Bishop for example

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...hobe01/splits/

vs. Anaheim 7-0-2
vs. Los Angeles 4-2-0
vs. Vancouver 4-3-0
vs. Edmonton 5-1-1
vs. Arizona 3-1-2

My goodness, that record vs. Anaheim...
Ha ha ha. Certainly something one may have to consider. I feel the Flames can never truly turn the corner until they start consistently beating the Ducks at home and on the road. You can argue that the Oilers sweeping the Flames (who have owned them for a while now) was a big springboard to their success this season.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:47 AM   #177
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukes View Post
All of that is true, but go and have a look at his playoff performance prior to last year. Last year's playoff's scream outlier when viewed in context with the rest of his career.
Not really. He's only been given a shot in the playoffs 4 times before this year, the last 2 were excellent. People see his playoff numbers from 2014-15 and forget he only played half a game. In 2012-13 he had a sub 2 GAA but the Blues just couldn't score. Even his playoffs in 2011-12 weren't that bad with a 2.37 GAA and .904 SV% in 8 games. His only bad playoffs were this year and his second year in the NHL.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:55 AM   #178
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Elliott got ypu to the playoffs on the back of an 11 game win streak. Those who use the excuse he almost....haha....almost kept the Flames out of the playoffs as a reason he should not be back are grasping at straws. Yes, he had a weak start, then he made Flames history. That alone let's me consider bringing him back.

The real issue for me is when it comes to Elliott, did the playoffs shatter his confidence beyond repair. Because the Flames cannot afford another slow start next year. So at this point I think it's better to just let sleeping dogs lie and find a younger solution.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:58 AM   #179
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

Voted MAF. His contract makes the most sense if we want to develop a starter for the next 10 year from within.

The Following User Says Thank You to Swayze11 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2017, 09:04 AM   #180
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Elliott got ypu to the playoffs on the back of an 11 game win streak. Those who use the excuse he almost....haha....almost kept the Flames out of the playoffs as a reason he should not be back are grasping at straws. Yes, he had a weak start, then he made Flames history. That alone let's me consider bringing him back...
I also think the Flames should—and will explore scenarios in which Elliott is re-signed. I don't have a problem bringing him back, but I do believe there will be better options this summer. Elliott is probably #3-5 on my list of potential starters for the Flames, but I don't think he is a bad option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread