Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-07-2017, 07:51 AM   #41
Slava
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
I have literally never heard a blues, reds, or gunners fan, celebrate finishing second.
Whose celebrating? It's a statement of fact. Under Pochettino we have improved every year by about 16 points a year and that was good for second place last year. Truthfully the clubs you mentioned are the ones thrilled we finished second and didn't win the league though.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 07:54 AM   #42
devo22
Franchise Player
 
devo22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Austria, NOT Australia
Exp:
Default

Paul Mersons prediction.



I think those are pretty realistic. Personally I think Chelsea is still the team to beat ahead of City and I'd also swap United and Spurs, but that's just me. Bournemouth also too low for me, they've had a great summer so far.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:02 AM   #43
GirlySports
Franchise Player
 
GirlySports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

there are 4 tiers of the premier league

Race for championship - Chelsea, Spurs, Man City
Race for 4th - ManU, Liverpool, Arsenal
-
-
-
-
Everton is 7th
-
-
-
-
8-20 fight to avoid relegation
__________________
Watching the Oilers defend is like watching fire engines frantically rushing to the wrong fire

GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:07 AM   #44
devo22
Franchise Player
 
devo22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Austria, NOT Australia
Exp:
Default

The Guardians prediction:

1 Man City
2 Chelsea
3 Man United
4 Spurs
5 Liverpool
6 Arsenal

EDIT: same for the Telegraph.

Last edited by devo22; 08-07-2017 at 08:18 AM.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:43 AM   #45
devo22
Franchise Player
 
devo22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Austria, NOT Australia
Exp:
Default

Virgil van Dijk throws a hissy fit.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40855579
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:01 AM   #46
Bagor
Franchise Player
 
Bagor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Spartanville
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
there are 4 tiers of the premier league

Race for championship - Chelsea, Spurs, Man City
Race for 4th - ManU, Liverpool, Arsenal
-
-
-
-
Everton is 7th
-
-
-
-
8-20 fight to avoid relegation
No
__________________


Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2017, 11:08 AM   #47
Locke
ness Monster
 
Locke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Income Tax Central
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Virgil van Dijk throws a hissy fit.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40855579
He handed in a Transfer request, I dont know about 'Hissy Fit' but yeah, if I were van Dijk I'd be pretty choked about how this off-season has gone for him.
__________________
- "Somebody may beat me, but they're going to have to bleed to do it."
- Steve Prefontaine
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:12 AM   #48
devo22
Franchise Player
 
devo22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Austria, NOT Australia
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
He handed in a Transfer request, I dont know about 'Hissy Fit' but yeah, if I were van Dijk I'd be pretty choked about how this off-season has gone for him.
yeah well, if a player signs a new 6 year contract without a buyout clause, gets tapped up by a German guy in Blackpool, refuses to train and then completely ####s on his team four days ahead of the season, I think "hissy fit" is pretty accurate. If you don't want your team to block your "ambition", then don't commit to them long-time and behave unprofessionally when another team comes calling. Poor from him on all accounts.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2017, 11:14 AM   #49
Locke
ness Monster
 
Locke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Income Tax Central
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
yeah well, if a player signs a new 6 year contract without a buyout clause, gets tapped up by a German guy in Blackpool, refuses to train and then completely ####s on his team four days ahead of the season, I think "hissy fit" is pretty accurate. If you don't want your team to block your "ambition", then don't commit to them long-time and behave unprofessionally when another team comes calling. Poor from him on all accounts.
Okay....thats all news to me.
__________________
- "Somebody may beat me, but they're going to have to bleed to do it."
- Steve Prefontaine
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:19 AM   #50
Bagor
Franchise Player
 
Bagor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Spartanville
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
The Guardians prediction:

1 Man City
2 Chelsea
3 Man United
4 Spurs
5 Liverpool
6 Arsenal

EDIT: same for the Telegraph.
Don't think this is far off.

Fourth will be determined by time spent in Europe. If Spurs do their Spurs thing and go out early they should snatch fourth. If they manage to stay in Europe for any length of time it'll cost them their PL spot. No depth.

If they get 4th the annual we won nothing but, celebrations begin again. If not, it's because...Wembley.
__________________


Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 12:05 PM   #51
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.
 
The Big Chill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
yeah well, if a player signs a new 6 year contract without a buyout clause, gets tapped up by a German guy in Blackpool, refuses to train and then completely ####s on his team four days ahead of the season, I think "hissy fit" is pretty accurate. If you don't want your team to block your "ambition", then don't commit to them long-time and behave unprofessionally when another team comes calling. Poor from him on all accounts.
He didn't refuse to train, that's what he is saying in the article.

I agree with you on the contracts, but that is pretty much par for the course these days.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 12:11 PM   #52
devo22
Franchise Player
 
devo22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Austria, NOT Australia
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
He didn't refuse to train, that's what he is saying in the article.

I agree with you on the contracts, but that is pretty much par for the course these days.
he says he didn't refuse, but "wasn't in a settled mindset" to do so. I guess it depends on how you define "refuse", but I don't see a difference here to be honest.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 12:20 PM   #53
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.
 
The Big Chill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
he says he didn't refuse, but "wasn't in a settled mindset" to do so. I guess it depends on how you define "refuse", but I don't see a difference here to be honest.
Well he was told to train alone because he wants to leave. To me that sounds like he was always willing to train with his team.

It doesn't really matter in the end though, it looks like he'll get his move. I don't think it's set which club he moves to though.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 12:50 PM   #54
GirlySports
Franchise Player
 
GirlySports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
No
just trying to be funny

like this

__________________
Watching the Oilers defend is like watching fire engines frantically rushing to the wrong fire

GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 01:23 PM   #55
Slava
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
Don't think this is far off.

Fourth will be determined by time spent in Europe. If Spurs do their Spurs thing and go out early they should snatch fourth. If they manage to stay in Europe for any length of time it'll cost them their PL spot. No depth.

If they get 4th the annual we won nothing but, celebrations begin again. If not, it's because...Wembley.
It might not be far off, but the point about Europe should include Chelsea. They haven't got a lot of depth either (it's all loaned out) and played last year with something crazy like 13 starters. This year it's more demanding, so it will be interesting to see how Conte prioritizes.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 12:11 AM   #56
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player
 
d_phaneuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Exp:
Default

No point judging depth until the window closes
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:24 AM   #57
Bagor
Franchise Player
 
Bagor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Spartanville
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
No point judging depth until the window closes
In the meantime all you can do is judge on what is at present.

RB already an issue for you lot.
__________________


Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:32 AM   #58
devo22
Franchise Player
 
devo22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Austria, NOT Australia
Exp:
Default

Tim Fosu-Mensah going on loan to Crystal Palace. Really good move for him, I think ... he knows de Boer from Ajax and they have a big need for CB/RB. Hopefully he gets the playing time he needs to make the next step, the tools are all there.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:23 AM   #59
Slava
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
In the meantime all you can do is judge on what is at present.

RB already an issue for you lot.
How's the depth at United? Seems to me you guys were forced to choose between Europa and the league at the end of the season as well. It's not easy for PL clubs to compete for the title and meaningfully in Europe as well.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:31 AM   #60
devo22
Franchise Player
 
devo22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Austria, NOT Australia
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
How's the depth at United? Seems to me you guys were forced to choose between Europa and the league at the end of the season as well. It's not easy for PL clubs to compete for the title and meaningfully in Europe as well.
if there's one thing that United has, it's depth. And they needed it ... they played 64 games last season. Spurs played 53, Chelsea and Liverpool less than 50. You need a deep squad for 60+ games, that's for sure. United having to choose between PL and EL had nothing to do with depth, but with a really poor home record. Only 8 wins, but 10 draws ... that's what ultimately cost them a top 4 spot.

and honestly, looking at the Tottenham team, I see no depth. You only have one RB, your only cover for Kane is Janssen. Your only CB backup is Wimmer. Your first XI is amazing, but you're one key injury away from disaster. Don't forget that United lost their top striker (Ibrahimovic) and one of their CB starters (Rojo) to season-ending injuries, plus Shaw, plus Young, plus various other injuries over the course of the season. You need depth to overcome that. Spurs don't have that.

That being said, it'll be really interesting to see how Chelsea and Liverpool cope with Europe. They don't seem to have a lot of depth either, and not playing in Europe last season certainly helped them a lot.

Last edited by devo22; 08-08-2017 at 07:33 AM.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:47 PM.

Calgary Flames
2016-17




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016