Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2015, 01:08 PM   #81
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
It isn't even the horsepower going up, the old cars had terrible handling and brakes and drove on bias tires. Driving a modern car and thinking back to one of my first cars (a 59 Chev), I can't believe the difference. In those days the speed limit was 70MPH on most BC highways and now it's 55 or 60 MPH (90 or 100 K).
I think that the problem isn't that cars are improving and getting more awesome, but rather that people aren't.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 01:09 PM   #82
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbsey-123 View Post
Sooo....thought this was a thread about radar detectors not general morality. Anyways check out www.kmph.ca .....looks to be a Canadian company selling all the best brands/packages.
Thanks,

What's the best one for the best money?
Old 03-31-2015, 01:30 PM   #83
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Radar detractors are becoming pretty useless at this point.

Lasers don't reflect in the same manner as radar. You won't get a warning with a laser gun like you do with a radar gun.

I'd invest in a jammer but that's a big deal if you get caught.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 01:36 PM   #84
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post

Lasers don't reflect in the same manner as radar. You won't get a warning with a laser gun like you do with a radar gun.

I disagree, the majority of speed enforcement (highways and photo/speed on green) still uses K/Ka band radar, which a radar detector can give ample warning of.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:49 PM   #85
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anything that's moving will still use Radar, so I still think there is a very valuable use for a radar detector.

A laser jammer will likely be on my horizon.

As an FYI - the new permanent photo radar boxes in Saskatchewan all use Laser, and if you don't know what you're looking for they are extremely easy to miss. If you are looking for coverage for that new system, then you'll need at least two sensors and most likely 3.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 01:51 PM   #86
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Maybe you're right, mine broke ages ago but I remember getting "lasered" more than positive warnings of real traps.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:22 PM   #87
Forbsey-123
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post

I read on the KMPH website that the jammer sensors also beep to assist you with parking, which makes them legal to install.
Forbsey-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 11:27 PM   #88
gladaki
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I need one of these. I think I saw a flash from a parked truck tucked away behind the construction sign, near Flanders Avenue S.W. off of Crowchild Trail. Is that a construction zone, it was snowing so couldn't see much. I was on 75 and there was hardly any car there at 11:45 PM. ?..Construction zone with no signs of life is confusing specially when you are on Crowchild. It will be really BS if i end up getting the ticket. How can they expect me to slow down when car in front and back is at same speed..yes, I see flash for car in front as well..But couldn't slow down immediately.

Last edited by gladaki; 12-09-2015 at 11:39 PM.
gladaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 12:19 AM   #89
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have no idea what you are saying and have less idea why your post shows as being edited...?...!...
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 12:32 AM   #90
gladaki
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

ha ha
Probably frustrated by Photo radar and idea of ticket which is coming next year for me
gladaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:43 AM   #91
blueski
Scoring Winger

Exp:

For those that argue about max speed being increased, I know this much, by the time I see a deer at night and hit the brakes, I can safely stop and easily steer around them only if I'm going about 95. If I'm doing 130, I usually am doing about 60 km by the time I pass them and it's a little sketchy. This is for deer that are slowly crossing the road.

So, the speed limit works pretty well for my setup - a POS cargo van with average headlights and brakes. My tires are the best that I can buy.

I totally have no problems with others on the road going faster, they can obviously stop faster and maneouver better.

The thing that gets me about photo radar is that it takes human judgement right out of play. I have spoken to a lot of police officers and most tell me that they exercise discretion when giving tickets. Time of day, traffic volume, average speed of vehicles, weather, condition of road, condition of your vehicle. Photo radar can do none of that. All of the officers I've spoken to agree that it is wide differences in speed that cause major accidents. They also say that any time they set up a trap, they real in the big fish, there's enough of them to keep them constantly busy.

I've seen enforcement step up so much in the last ten months in alberta that I'm driving the speed limit as much as possible now. Feels like this obvious tax grab will backfire for them in terms of a much smaller tax grab on fuel tax from people driving slower.
blueski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:52 AM   #92
blueski
Scoring Winger

Exp:

So let's pretend in the next election a candidate or party says that they will only allow photo radar to ticket speeders if they are exceeding the average flow for the past n minutes by x%. Would you vote for them? That x could be scientifically justified. Major snowstorm 100 km posted limit, traffic going 85, some yahoo does 108 by everyone. He gets a small ticket. Daytime light traffic, everyone driving 105, some one passes at 113, no tickets for anyone. Not a hard problem to code a solution for.
blueski is offline   Reply With Quote