Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2016, 05:54 PM   #1901
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
Am I alone in not giving a crap if I'm driven by a convicted criminal? Sounds like a pretty decent job to let them rejoin society.
I would hope so. Someone arrested for an home invasion who just got out of jail having my full name, address and pretty much all the information they'd need to take advantage of that? No thanks.

Someone who just got out for a serious sexual assault driving my mom around?

You make it seem like all convicted criminals are just decent humans trying to make a living. I'm sure a lot are, even most but why would Uber take that risk? Furthermore, why would the city allow that?
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 06:03 PM   #1902
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm conflicted actually.

On the one hand testing the vetting process makes sense but on the other employing criminals seems like something our Civic Authorities shouldnt be involved in.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 06:16 PM   #1903
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Someone arrested for an home invasion who just got out of jail having my full name, address and pretty much all the information they'd need to take advantage of that? No thanks.
Speaking of which, I'd imagine it's not a great idea to get a ride to the airport if you're leaving your house empty for a while.

EDIT: http://abc7ny.com/news/colorado-uber...s-home/610234/
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 06:19 PM   #1904
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I'm conflicted actually.

On the one hand testing the vetting process makes sense but on the other employing criminals seems like something our Civic Authorities shouldnt be involved in.

Meh, I've always seen that as thinking of yesteryear. Anything should be done for the greater good, and I apply that across the board, and progressive goverments are starting to get on board with this line of thinking.

If statistics show that society is better off with more rehabilitation and less incarceration then don't hold back to satisfy people's sense of revenge and justice.

If statistics show that penalizing drug users adds negative value to society don't continue to do so because people feel a sense of justice in drug users being locked away.

If using convicted criminals and compensating them makes the most sense to test a claim by a large company trying to quickly bully their way into your market, so that you can come to a conclusion on the safety of your city's citizens, aka the greater good of society, you just do it.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 06:24 PM   #1905
Swarly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
I would hope so. Someone arrested for an home invasion who just got out of jail having my full name, address and pretty much all the information they'd need to take advantage of that? No thanks.

Someone who just got out for a serious sexual assault driving my mom around?

You make it seem like all convicted criminals are just decent humans trying to make a living. I'm sure a lot are, even most but why would Uber take that risk? Furthermore, why would the city allow that?
by all the information they'd need you mean like what they can look up in a phone book in 2 seconds?

there are a lot easier ways to get your name and address rather than driving drunk people around for minimum wage.
Swarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 06:24 PM   #1906
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Meh, I've always seen that as thinking of yesteryear. Anything should be done for the greater good, and I apply that across the board, and progressive goverments are starting to get on board with this line of thinking.

If statistics show that society is better off with more rehabilitation and less incarceration then don't hold back to satisfy people's sense of revenge and justice.

If statistics show that penalizing drug users adds negative value to society don't continue to do so because people feel a sense of justice in drug users being locked away.

If using convicted criminals and compensating them makes the most sense to test a claim by a large company trying to quickly bully their way into your market, so that you can come to a conclusion on the safety of your city's citizens, aka the greater good of society, you just do it.
Also, who really knows whay "employment" meant in this case.

1) salary, benefits, full-time at City

2) hey, here's $100 bucks, can you fill this out?

I'm assuming it's closer to 2 than to 1.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2016, 06:25 PM   #1907
jayswin

Exp:

Plus, I'd imagine the "compensation" isn't much. It's not like they're going to a registered sex offender or violent assault criminal and saying "Hey, we've lined up a job for you, how does that sound?!".

They're likely paying them a few bucks to quickly go on the site and attempt to get through their "background check", and that's the end of their "employment".
Old 04-23-2016, 06:25 PM   #1908
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarly View Post
by all the information they'd need you mean like what they can look up in a phone book in 2 seconds?
What is a phone book?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2016, 06:26 PM   #1909
jayswin

Exp:

Exactly what I was thinking, even less I bet. "Hey we'll pay you $20 an hour for an hour registration process".
Old 04-23-2016, 06:27 PM   #1910
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post

This is just a fancy way of saying that the ends justify the means regardless of any other factors.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 06:29 PM   #1911
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:

there are a lot easier ways to get your name and address rather than driving drunk people around for minimum wage.
Yeah, except the key connection in taking you as a passenger is that they now know you are going away and conveniently have your info.

A phone book with a million names, numbers and addresses doesn't do anything for a criminal unless their out casing places.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2016, 06:32 PM   #1912
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
This is just a fancy way of saying that the ends justify the means regardless of any other factors.
Yes, although I'd argue my posting style could be better summed up as needless rambling than dressing up a point.
Old 04-23-2016, 06:33 PM   #1913
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I'm assuming criminals are less likely to repeat offend if given jobs, but lets not get into that here.

How about this:

would you rather have an ex-con driving you around in an UBER late at night, alone, with all your information

or

Would you rather have an ex-con type in some information on an application to see if they would be hired to do the above; thus preventing ex-cons from getting the above job in the future
Old 04-23-2016, 06:35 PM   #1914
Handsome B. Wonderful
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think I've had a land line since 1998. Go ahead, find me in the phone book.
Handsome B. Wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 06:46 PM   #1915
jayswin

Exp:

On a slightly off topic point I actually read about a scenario that I thought about when everyone started ditching landlines, that I figured was a pie in the sky, flying unicorn scenario, but is actually starting to become standard operating procedure for home invaders;

If they can find your cell phones they always take them, even if they're crappy old phones. I read about a Calgary family the other day where they were beaten up by the home invaders who made a point of rounding up their phones and then were left with no way to phone police as like most people they ditched their land line.

So they had to limp over to their neighbors house at 4am and phone the police from there. The real issue in these scenarios is if you're alone and don't know your neighbors (aka they're not answering their door in the middle of the night) or your alone and badly injured and can't get outside.
Old 04-23-2016, 07:15 PM   #1916
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

How is that any different from an old school home invasion where the bad guys cut the phone line? Dad's not gonna pull out wire strippers and electrical tape to get the phone working, he's going to limp next door at 4am.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2016, 07:55 PM   #1917
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

If you're worried about that happening, keep an old phone charged somewhere. You can call 911 even without a sim.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 08:39 PM   #1918
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

The mayor spouting off is just Nenshi being Nenshi. It's his blessing and curse.

It tells you how real his safety concerns are though when he's perfectly happy hopping in a car that follows none of them.

'I urge you not to be a passenger or driver'. Unless it's in another city I guess.
Bend it like Bourgeois is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bend it like Bourgeois For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2016, 08:45 PM   #1919
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bend it like Bourgeois View Post
The mayor spouting off is just Nenshi being Nenshi. It's his blessing and curse.

It tells you how real his safety concerns are though when he's perfectly happy hopping in a car that follows none of them.

'I urge you not to be a passenger or driver'. Unless it's in another city I guess.
Yeah the hypocrisy is amusing. I kind of feel bad for him if he had no idea that his words were being recorded. He probably said some things that he would rather weren't out there for public consumption, but of course he didn't think he was talking to the entire world. It looks bad that he called the CEO a dick, and it's not becoming for the mayor of a city to have those public scenes, but not the end of the world.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 08:54 PM   #1920
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

He explains his use of Lyft thusly. He does this kind of thing. I remember when we examining and implementing the 300 bus to the Airport, he would only take Airport busses when travelling, like Montreal's "747" route. Now, he seems to take ride sharing whenever on the road for more first-hand knowledge.

"In any case, when I travel to places where ridesharing is legal, I often use services like Uber and Lyft, specifically so I can talk with the drivers and better understand their job and their understanding of the regulatory environment under which they operate. For example, I always ask about their insurance, the number of hours they drive, and how much they have to pay as a driver versus what the ridesharing company pays. This has helped me a lot with my on-the-ground knowledge as the City has been working on developing its own rules..."

From his statement

http://calgarymayor.ca/stories/on-ma...nts-about-uber