Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2024, 02:05 PM   #221
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1746999502924390652

imagine winning an award in 2024 labeled 2023 for a tournament you won in 2022. Those awards have always been a joke, but when it comes to Messi, they really outclown themselves.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2024, 02:11 PM   #222
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1746999502924390652

imagine winning an award in 2024 labeled 2023 for a tournament you won in 2022. Those awards have always been a joke, but when it comes to Messi, they really outclown themselves.
Its almost as though a foreign benefactor might have paid them to do it....

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 10:44 AM   #223
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mourinho got the Sack.

Quote:
José Mourinho has left Serie A side Roma with immediate effect, the team announced on Tuesday, hiring club legend Daniele De Rossi as his interim replacement until the end of the season.

Mourinho's contract was up at the end of the season but, following their 3-1 defeat to AC Milan on Sunday and with the club in ninth in Serie A, the owners and the manager have parted ways.
https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/...urinho-manager

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 01-16-2024, 10:45 AM   #224
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

And Xavi doesnt look to be too far behind him.

Quote:
Barcelona coach Xavi Hernández is fighting to keep the players onside with a section of the first-team squad losing faith in him, several sources have told ESPN.

Barça were beaten 4-1 by Real Madrid in the Spanish Supercopa final on Sunday, but sources say the disillusionment predates that humbling Clásico defeat in Saudi Arabia.
https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/...g-room-sources

Old 01-17-2024, 04:42 AM   #225
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1747542095923982550

too bad there's a club desperate enough to throw him a lifeline.
Old 01-17-2024, 09:02 AM   #226
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love Hendo, but come on...people had to know that moving to Saudi Arabia wasnt going to be all sunshine and lollipops.

Old 01-17-2024, 11:09 AM   #227
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
https://twitter.com/user/status/1747542095923982550

too bad there's a club desperate enough to throw him a lifeline.
Looks like not everyone is loving Saudi Arabia.

Quote:
Karim Benzema is exploring his options in the January transfer window after six underwhelming months at Saudi Pro League club Al Ittihad, sources have told ESPN.

The 36-year-old striker is not happy with how his stint in Saudi Arabia is panning out so far, despite the 2022 Ballon d'Or winner having scored 15 goals in 24 games in all competitions since joining the lucrative league as a free agent.
https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/...i-exit-sources

Old 01-17-2024, 12:39 PM   #228
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s weird, but when you do things purely for the money they’re just not as good.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 03:40 PM   #229
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
It’s weird, but when you do things purely for the money they’re just not as good.
... about that.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...ttifaq-uk-tax/
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2024, 05:09 PM   #230
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Oh. So he's a 'home-sick' idiot.

He deferred salary to acquire a tax status, couldnt stick it out and now he's screwed.

Brilliant stuff. Well...I love Hendo and all but thems the breaks. You try and work the system and cant hack it? Not a lot of sympathy from me.

Old 01-18-2024, 01:56 PM   #231
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking of idiots, Gabby Agbonlahor said Vidic is the most overrated defender ever, and that he was easy to play against. (Trolling united for clicks?)

His career record vs United? 1 win in 22 games.

Clinical.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 03:18 PM   #232
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Speaking of idiots, Gabby Agbonlahor said Vidic is the most overrated defender ever, and that he was easy to play against. (Trolling united for clicks?)

His career record vs United? 1 win in 22 games.

Clinical.
I mean, I didnt like Vidic (United) *spits on floor* but whatever you think about him, he was objectively a very good and competent CB.

He had a long career.

Old 01-18-2024, 06:50 PM   #233
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meanwhile Slippy who hasn't won in eight games with three goals scored is awarded a 2-year contract extension.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 07:35 PM   #234
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm the furthest thing from a Manchester United supporter, but Vidic was absolutely class. Better than Ferdinand and Terry in my opinion. He's up there with Van Dijk and McGrath as the best we've seen in the Premier League. Agbonlahor was a decent striker but not fit to tie Vidic's boots.
MegaErtz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 10:07 AM   #235
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Looks like not everyone is loving Saudi Arabia.
a few idiots are. Look, this one is even better than Haaland!

https://twitter.com/user/status/1748373015333613776
Old 01-19-2024, 10:48 AM   #236
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
a few idiots are. Look, this one is even better than Haaland!

https://twitter.com/user/status/1748373015333613776
Okay...that photo looks like hes auditioning for a part as a Bond villain.

He and Elon can get a Volcano Headquarters somewhere and plot the overthrow of society.

I'm not even going to check the Stats to see if he's even close to right because he plays in Saudi where most of his opponents are probably plasterers and bricklayers during the week whereas Haaland plays against Professionals and has been injured for some time...I could go on forever as to why the comparison is garbage.

Ronaldo is losing it. I dont know whats going on there. Maybe the Saudi heat is melting his brain or something...

Old 01-20-2024, 10:08 AM   #237
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Al Nassr defender Aymeric Laporte has said many players like him that joined Saudi Pro League last summer clubs are "dissatisfied," citing working conditions and broken promises.

"It's a big change compared to Europe, but in the end it's all adaptation," Laporte told Spanish newspaper Diario AS. "They haven't made it easy for us. In fact, there are many players that are dissatisfied. They do look after us but not enough for my liking. That is to say, in Europe they pay you a good salary, but they take better care of you.

"I speak from my own experience and I don't know what the experience of others is like. For my part, what I have seen is that they try to bring you in, but then there is the day-to-day life and that is different."

"The ultimatum what you give them doesn't matter to them," Laporte said. "I mean, they're really going about their business. You negotiate something and then they don't accept it after you have signed it. ... It's a bit of a bummer that I don't know [would happen] if in Europe. Of course, the same thing that they take away from you in that respect, they compensate in other ways."
https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/...layers-unhappy

"Saudis lie and Riyadh sucks. In other news...Water...how wet is it? More news at 11."

Old 01-20-2024, 10:22 AM   #238
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/...layers-unhappy

"Saudis lie and Riyadh sucks. In other news...Water...how wet is it? More news at 11."
Old 01-20-2024, 10:38 AM   #239
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ronaldo is losing it. I dont know whats going on there. Maybe the Saudi heat is melting his brain or something...
If my boss was paying me $900k a day for my past accomplishments, I'd go on whatever TV show he's on and say whatever makes said boss feel good about the signing as well, true or not.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 10:42 AM   #240
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
If my boss was paying me $900k a day for my past accomplishments, I'd go on whatever TV show he's on and say whatever makes said boss feel good about the signing as well, true or not.
In fairness, I wonder how much some of these guys are 'really' getting paid.

There are salaries but theres gotta be more. I wonder if Hendo just didnt have a sweet enough deal? My only caveat to that is...I know its a generalization but the English dont like to leave England or mainland Europe.

Thats why theres only a handful of Englishmen playing football outside of the UK.

But if I were making that kind of money? I'd tell people you could drink sand if it meant my paycheque would clear.