Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 11:44 AM   #61
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll be at the game tonight. I haven't been to a Flames game for probably four years. I am excited.
The Following User Says Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2013, 11:47 AM   #62
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

So do you guys think McGrattan in the lineup makes everyone play a little bigger? Is that still an issue in 2013? I like the guy, and I hear he's great in the room, so is that the angle?

Otherwise all I see is a fourth line that stalls the progression of the other three lines which is frustrating to watch.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2013, 11:47 AM   #63
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

So do you guys think McGrattan in the lineup makes everyone play a little bigger? Is that still an issue in 2013? I like the guy, and I hear he's great in the room, so is that the angle?

Otherwise all I see is a fourth line that stalls the progression of the other three lines which is frustrating to watch.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2013, 11:50 AM   #64
Husky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Looks like Stempniak will draw in:

Randy Sportak ‏@SUNRandySportak 9s #Flames lines:
Galiardi-Stajan-Jones;
Cammalleri-Backlund-Hudler;
Baertschi-Monahan-Stempniak;
Bouma-Colborne-McGrattan.

Reinhart and Jackman out
Be nice when Glencross is back, bump Galiardi down to the 4th line and McGrattan out of the lineup...or one would think...
Old 11-12-2013, 11:54 AM   #65
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Agreed. The playoff teams are laughing at us for icing a goon 82 games a year.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:58 AM   #66
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wait what? Normal looking lines? Interesting that they took Hudler away from Monahan, but I guess Backlund could use the talent on his wings. Can't wait to see Smid in action/
The Following User Says Thank You to Anduril For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2013, 11:59 AM   #67
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
At least McGrattan is a decent 4th line player. I wouldn't say he's nothing but a goon. Jackman on the other hand, is not an overly great player and he sucks at fighting.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2013, 12:08 PM   #68
Cheerio
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cheerio For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2013, 12:11 PM   #69
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

I'd like to see Hartley try and roll four lines more. If that means McGrattan can't play more than he has been (~5 mins or so a game), double shift some of your other wingers in the top 9, or roll through them. Surely it's do-able.

Not sure on how the other forwards on the team feel or play with an enforcer around. It seems like it's a hard thing to talk about on a player by player, case by case basis without turning into a fighting debate.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:26 PM   #70
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The thing is last year we were the smallest team in the NHL.
We're improving on that but we still need to protect a number of players. McGratten serves that purpose. Sure it would be nice to have a tough who could take legitimate minutes but they're hard to find so until we get bigger and tougher, we need an enforcer.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:29 PM   #71
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I've noticed that the Flames have not been roughed up this year, whereas last year, teams were physically, and some might say, bullying the small Flames. None of that has happened this year, can that all be because McGrattan is in the lineup? or is the team just a little bit bigger?

When I watch highlights of other teams games, I see lots of fights, and brawls, and physical play, yet you never really see too much of that when the Flames play. The Leafs game was about as much of that stuff as we saw and it was basically McGrattan beating up on Mclaren and then SOB beating up on Ashton for a cheap hit.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:30 PM   #72
Willi Plett
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobHopper View Post
The record speaks for itself, just being realistic here.
Are you?

Wow.

I'm not responding more specifically other than that because I think that says it all.
The Following User Says Thank You to Willi Plett For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2013, 12:35 PM   #73
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd like to see Jones with Monahan and Baertschi again at some point.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:43 PM   #74
Phaneufenstein
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Maybe we can score a PP goal?

How long has it been?
Old 11-12-2013, 12:44 PM   #75
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I'd like to see Jones with Monahan and Baertschi again at some point.
I agree. Perhaps once Glencross is back they can reunite Glencross-Stajan-Stempniak and slide Jones to the kid line?
Old 11-12-2013, 12:45 PM   #76
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Jones hasn't played the same since returning from his injury. He definitely was a bigger presence, stronger on the puck and fighting for those garbage goals more before. It's too bad cause his style, like Galiardi's made this team tougher to play against.

He needs to get back to that crashing and banging.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:48 PM   #77
Flames Fan, Ph.D.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
I've noticed that the Flames have not been roughed up this year, whereas last year, teams were physically, and some might say, bullying the small Flames. None of that has happened this year, can that all be because McGrattan is in the lineup? or is the team just a little bit bigger?

When I watch highlights of other teams games, I see lots of fights, and brawls, and physical play, yet you never really see too much of that when the Flames play. The Leafs game was about as much of that stuff as we saw and it was basically McGrattan beating up on Mclaren and then SOB beating up on Ashton for a cheap hit.
I've not noticed it too much in general, but did notice that in the first SJ game of the year we were visibly outmuscled (not roughed up). Dressing McGrattan won't address that problem.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:51 PM   #78
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I think it is a combination of things:

1) Other than one BIG mistake, McGrattan hasn't been a liability this year. If he was, I think you would see him benched much more regularly.
2) The Flames are still one of the smallest teams in the league - I think in the bottom 5 or so, IIRC from some list I saw early this season.
3) Flames are a younger team - sometimes you need that kind of support to your youth as they can be bullied out there, and vets especially sometimes get a bit angrier when they see a rookie playing rough.
4) The Flames' system is based on a hard forecheck and work ethic - sometimes can rile up an opponent (though they aren't throwing out the big hits).
5) Hartley loves having an enforcer in the lineup. If he thinks there is real value there (as do other coaches and players - i.e. Iginla always wanted one on the team) then there is a reason for it.

Worst case scenario is that McGrattan gets stapled to the bench all game, and some other player who is running hot gets a few extra shifts as a reward. I never thought that dressing an enforcer means that he needs to come out every shift on the 4th line - though McGrattan seems capable of that somewhat, though offensively challenged. He does take the body and hits harder with more regularity than any other Flames forward at this point.

McGrattan doesn't seem to be any more of an offence killer out there than Galliardi. Galliardi brings hard work and a very good forechecking ability, and also a bit of an instigator out there that annoys the other teams. McGrattan is a guy who 'calms down' the other team somewhat and provides a bit of courage to a young team that is still one of the smallest in the NHL. Until there are legitimately better options, I don't see the point. I wouldn't really want a reasonable scoring line (by today's scratches, Reinhart) having to play against a rugged 4th line that the opposing coach sends over to run guys through the boards to create 'energy' for their team. I would rather Hartley keep utilizing McGrattan to not only help stop that from happening, but to provide a little bit of energy for the Flames.

However, I am probably in the minority. Most people seem to want to see a 4th line of Bouma - Knight - Reinhart or something similar.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2013, 12:56 PM   #79
Flames Fan, Ph.D.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
3) Flames are a younger team - sometimes you need that kind of support to your youth as they can be bullied out there, and vets especially sometimes get a bit angrier when they see a rookie playing rough.
I think we can dispense with that notion now. It was part of the rationale for keeping MacDonald, and that didn't turn out. Plus, MacGrattan isn't the only vet on this team.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:57 PM   #80
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So do you guys think McGrattan in the lineup makes everyone play a little bigger? .
I have heard interviews on the Radio with Flames players on the above topic, they state having McGratton does make them all play bigger.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flambers For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
gtd , sushi , winwinwinwinwinwinwin , winwinwinwinwinwinwinwin