Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2018, 10:20 AM   #61
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
Young guy here. Don't understand e-sports.

I'd rather just play games.
Do you watch the Flames play hockey? What's the difference? Why don't you just go play hockey instead of watching a bunch of sweaty 20-something dudes play hockey?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
JMN
Old 03-07-2018, 11:25 AM   #62
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's a pretty huge difference between watching people perform athletics in the real world vs someone performing a digital replication of something on screen holding a controller.

Watching Messi score an amazing goal in real life is a far more incredible feat and more thrilling to watch than some guy with a controller making Messi score an amazing goal in an EA FIFA competition.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:26 AM   #63
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
There's a pretty huge difference between watching people perform athletics in the real world vs someone performing a digital replication of something on screen holding a controller.

Watching Messi score an amazing goal in real life is a far more incredible feat and more thrilling to watch than some guy with a controller making Messi score an amazing goal in an EA FIFA competition.
If thats your thing then sure.

For millions of people the opposite is true. Maybe not for FIFA but for video games in general.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:27 AM   #64
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post

lol, you're saying that because you like watching hockey. I don't watch any team sports and don't see any difference. Watching other people have fun playing a game is lame to me regardless of it being a sport or a video game.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:49 PM   #65
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
lol, you're saying that because you like watching hockey. I don't watch any team sports and don't see any difference. Watching other people have fun playing a game is lame to me regardless of it being a sport or a video game.
I have to agree. I feel the same watching snooker, ice dancing, football, or soccer. It's cool I guess... but I don't care enough to appreciate any bit of it. At the end of the day you spent a real long time learning something and now you have a mostly useless skill.

I'm not into e-sports but the notion that it's lame is odd considering all sports are a bit stupid.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 01:08 PM   #66
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
lol, you're saying that because you like watching hockey. I don't watch any team sports
Hold on... what are you doing here?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2018, 04:14 PM   #67
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Do you watch the Flames play hockey? What's the difference? Why don't you just go play hockey instead of watching a bunch of sweaty 20-something dudes play hockey?
I can go into my basement and play video games with people all over the world instantly. It's much harder to do that with an actual sport.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:28 PM   #68
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://kotaku.com/the-story-behind-...ent-1731364088

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:42 PM   #69
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

2017 International Prize Pool was $25 million. For comparison, golf had the Masters and the US Open at $11 million and $12 million respectively.

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:49 PM   #70
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
I can go into my basement and play video games with people all over the world instantly. It's much harder to do that with an actual sport.
Not much harder though. Every night of the week if you wanted you could find a sport to play. Are you saying that your enjoyment in watching something is proportional to the effort required to do it yourself at a much lower skill level.

That doesn't make sense.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:31 AM   #71
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Hold on... what are you doing here?
Oh I think we all know, and it is ####ing awesome.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:52 AM   #72
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

I don't get e-sports - I always hated going to that one friend's house who didn't have enough N64 controllers, so we took turns watching each other play.

I also don't get EDM and any other latest music trend.

Or YouTubers and how they have millions of followers.

But there's no denying their popularity and who am I to judge and try and hold things back? It's no different than my dad not liking what I liked, and his dad not liking what he did.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to calf For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2018, 12:42 PM   #73
Static
Draft Pick

A bit of history on competitive gaming

and just for fun
Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 12:48 PM   #74
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
If thats your thing then sure.

For millions of people the opposite is true. Maybe not for FIFA but for video games in general.
Even if some people find video game competitions far more entertaining, there's no real argument to be made that actually doing it in real life is more impressive a skill than doing it with a controller.

That's the thing about esports. No matter what game they're playing it all comes down to using a controller. There's no real world physical achievement. No matter which you enjoy watching more, performing the action in the real world requires far more skill, athleticism etc.

It doesn't make one more fun or entertaining than the other, but simulating a real world action with your hands will never be as impressive as actually doing it.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 01:05 PM   #75
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

The cool part for me is that you can watch these uber players go at it and kick ass, and then you can log on a minute later and try it yourself.

I'm in awe of what some of those monsters can do in CS:GO. Then I try the same tactics and get lit up. It's fantastic.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 05:23 PM   #76
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
The cool part for me is that you can watch these uber players go at it and kick ass, and then you can log on a minute later and try it yourself.

I'm in awe of what some of those monsters can do in CS:GO. Then I try the same tactics and get lit up. It's fantastic.
That's because they are using PED's. Well on their way to matching real athletes in that regard. Do they drug test for E-sports yet?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 06:48 PM   #77
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

I think part of the appeal is that it seems like nobody has an inherent physical advantage (which is not true, because to perform at the the highest level you need insane reflexes, but it seems to be). It's similar to why some people prefer games like hockey and soccer to more purely physical events like running or swimming, but to a far greater magnitude.

For me, I only watch games that I play, and my main motivations are to see what the game is like at the highest level, and if I can apply lessons from the games to my own play. In a way, it's more rational than watching the Flames because of their affiliation with the city where I lived most of my life.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:32 AM   #78
JMN
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
That's because they are using PED's. Well on their way to matching real athletes in that regard. Do they drug test for E-sports yet?
Yes. Adderall is used often by e-sports professionals, especially in MOBA games that are a best of 3 or 5 and where each game can go beyond an hour.
JMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 03:36 PM   #79
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watch the competitive scene of Heroes of the Storm (MOBA game). I quite enjoy watching it. The most recent Western Clash at Katowice was great and the final series was fantastic.

I find it's tough to find my team though. Players move around between teams all the time and middling to bottom teams come and go. Not a lot of consistency when compared with traditional sports.

This is the main game I play but the only e-sport I watch. I have tried watching League of Legends and DOTA 2 as they are in the same genre but they are completely alien to me. While I am far from a pro player I know a lot about Heroes of the Storm and can follow a competitive match easily. But watching another MOBA is like starting from scratch. Same with Overwatch. I haven't really played the game much so it's hard to tell what is going on during a pro match. So much chaos in my eyes. I suppose traditional sports have the same barrier to entry.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 04:33 PM   #80
Static
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
This is the main game I play but the only e-sport I watch. I have tried watching League of Legends and DOTA 2 as they are in the same genre but they are completely alien to me. While I am far from a pro player I know a lot about Heroes of the Storm and can follow a competitive match easily. But watching another MOBA is like starting from scratch. Same with Overwatch. I haven't really played the game much so it's hard to tell what is going on during a pro match. So much chaos in my eyes. I suppose traditional sports have the same barrier to entry.
Yup, that's why casting and gameplay analysis has had to improve as well. Good casters can describe all the complexity and still make it understandable for casual viewers.
Static is offline   Reply With Quote