Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 09:16 PM   #181
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
For real? Not knowing anything about the situation and whether or not any other teams are enquiring, not knowing if he's a good human being or not, you're going to sit there and judge him if he signs with some other team and has no effect on your life personally? Even though it doesn't undo or take away from his accomplishments and effort in the Calgary community, you're going to assume he's dead from this point on because of a sports game played by millionaires that only effects your life if you watch it online or on TV?

You're seriously that small of a person? Maybe it's time you stepped back a little bit and realized its just a game and it's not important in life.
We are considering his accomplishments of skating and shooting a rubber disc into a mesh basket for our team. If that's what we're celebrating, there's nothing wrong with cheering against him for doing it for someone else
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2017, 09:32 PM   #182
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
We are considering his accomplishments of skating and shooting a rubber disc into a mesh basket for our team. If that's what we're celebrating, there's nothing wrong with cheering against him for doing it for someone else
Pft. Reason has no place here.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheFlamesVan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2017, 09:38 PM   #183
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
If Iginla joined the Oilers I would boo him mercilessly at all times he ever touched the puck in the Saddledome. What an abomination.

I'd also hope that would be it for the Flames retiring his number. Maybe they could do one of those really stupid Forever a Flame things for #12 instead since it's sort of an insult anyway.

Yeah, it'd be pretty weird.

At some point in sports, the emotion does actually mean something or there really is no point in watching. A guy like Iggy signing with the Oilers truly would seal any doubts people should have that these guys are exclusively in it for the money.
Why would Iginla signing with the Oilers alter your view of professional athletes, or him in general? The BofA means a lot more to fans than any current Flame or Oiler I would imagine. And from there, only a relative handful take it to the extreme that some fans do.

Do you think Dougie Hamilton or Troy Brouwer care any differently about the Oilers than any other NHL team. I don't think they do. It's a fan rivalry.

At this point I've gotten rather used to seeing Iginla in other teams sweaters. What would be weird is seeing him don a Flames sweater again.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:39 PM   #184
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't really worry about him going to the Oilers much. I can't remember where I picked up on it (I know I read it somewhere, or was in some interview with someone 'in the know'), but apparently Iginla does very much care about his legacy in Calgary. Going to the Oilers or the Canucks would tarnish that legacy for a great many fans.

Fans are emotional. If you are just looking for emotionless entertainment, there are thousands of other options out there. When you start following sports or are involved in sports, emotions are part of the experience.
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2017, 09:41 PM   #185
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I don't really worry about him going to the Oilers much. I can't remember where I picked up on it (I know I read it somewhere, or was in some interview with someone 'in the know'), but apparently Iginla does very much care about his legacy in Calgary. Going to the Oilers or the Canucks would tarnish that legacy for a great many fans.

Fans are emotional. If you are just looking for emotionless entertainment, there are thousands of other options out there. When you start following sports or are involved in sports, emotions are part of the experience.
Wrong thread?
Old 06-25-2017, 09:42 PM   #186
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Why would Iginla signing with the Oilers alter your view of professional athletes, or him in general? The BofA means a lot more to fans than any current Flame or Oiler I would imagine. And from there, only a relative handful take it to the extreme that some fans do.

Do you think Dougie Hamilton or Troy Brouwer care any differently about the Oilers than any other NHL team. I don't think they do. It's a fan rivalry.

At this point I've gotten rather used to seeing Iginla in other teams sweaters. What would be weird is seeing him don a Flames sweater again.
What? Do you ever listen to interviews?

All players love to play their 'rivals' more than just another team. It means more to them. This isn't some fan-driven sentiment. The rivalry between the Oilers and the Flames has been watered down since the Oilers sucked so bad for so long, but even then you would always hear players during those interviews between periods talking about it, and how much easier it is to 'get up for these games'.

You are just talking nonsense, really. Fan driven? Not a chance. I expect the BoA to explode again on the ice.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:44 PM   #187
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper_3434 View Post
Wrong thread?
No, this is the Spencer Foo thread, in which we discuss Iginla playing for those chumps up north.

I think you are looking for the "Where will Iginla sign" thread in which there is link with a post that takes you to a hidden thread in which we are discussing Spencer Foo's brother being chosen by Chicago.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:56 PM   #188
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm so excited to see Jankowski play in the NHL next season.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2017, 10:02 PM   #189
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Fire GG! This team hasn't won a single game this season. His system is clearly too complicated for the players to grasp.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:02 PM   #190
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
It has taken him a long time to get to this point from his draft year. Finally, we'll get to see the next Joe Nieuwendyk.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric Vail For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2017, 10:06 PM   #191
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Vail View Post
It has taken him a long time to get to this point from his draft year. Finally, we'll get to see the next Joe Nieuwendyk.
Feels like a long time, but I'm pretty sure if he plays a full season this year, he and Joe would have both played their first full seasons at the same age.

Ha but I guess technically he was drafted younger... so you're right. My point is just that his development timeline is normal, as excited as we have all been to see him play.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:08 PM   #192
Two Fivenagame
First Line Centre

Exp:

Honest question (and forgive me if it's been asked before)

Did the Flames make a mistake by selecting Mark Jankowski in the first round of that draft? It seems like the Flames went off board with the pick.

I have also been told "there is no board".

Gosh I'm just so confused.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:21 PM   #193
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:
Default Molberg: Flames one of 3-4 teams in the running to land college FA Spencer Foo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post

Rivalries definitely are not just created by fans. Backlund hates Vancouver and the Canucks with a burning passion and has expressed it publicly.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:26 PM   #194
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Fivenagame View Post
Honest question (and forgive me if it's been asked before)

Did the Flames make a mistake by selecting Mark Jankowski in the first round of that draft? It seems like the Flames went off board with the pick.

I have also been told "there is no board".

Gosh I'm just so confused.
From what I recall, we drafted him a little higher than anyone projected him to go. I think some sources had him going around 28-35. We took him at 21.

Not crazy "off the board", but a little bit of a stretch maybe. I think it bothered people more because Maatta was on a lot of people's wishlist and he went right after Jankowski. Looking at the draft in hindsight though, it looks like there was a big ledge around where the Flames picked so it seems reasonable that they would take a swing at the fences.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:28 PM   #195
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
I am too. I recall some of your previous posts about him in the Stockton thread. What do you think his floor and ceiling is at NHL level?

EDIT: Ha! I guess I'm carrying on the tradition of making all non Jankowski threads about Jankowski.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Lebowski For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2017, 10:29 PM   #196
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

^ The reaction I think was mostly because Pierre McGuire went nuts about the pick on tv.

Edit - I re-watched it and it wasn't as bad as I remembered (not Eberle game tying goal ruining level). But he and McKenzie were definitely surprised.

Last edited by TheFlamesVan; 06-25-2017 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Misspelled that dweebs name.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheFlamesVan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2017, 10:33 PM   #197
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamesVan View Post
^ The reaction I think was mostly because Pierre McQuire went nuts about the pick on tv.
You could say he went all Quagmire. Giggity

Sorry didn't know what else to say. Your spelling made me think of Quagmire.
The Following User Says Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2017, 10:37 PM   #198
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamesVan View Post
^ The reaction I think was mostly because Pierre McQuire went nuts about the pick on tv.
Oh yeah,that too. It definitely has an effect on the optics and of course, internet sheeple followed suit.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:40 PM   #199
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I am too. I recall some of your previous posts about him in the Stockton thread. What do you think his floor and ceiling is at NHL level?
Floor - With the way he skates and thinks, I really can't see him being anything short of an effective 38-42 point top 9 two-way center. We'll see if he has that innate ability to drive puck possession, but a 6'4" Mikael Backlund is really what I see every time I watch him, except a bit more effective on the power play. Granted, Backlund was probably our best player in 2016-17 and being able to play that perfectly in the NHL is a lofty expectation for a floor, so maybe whatever a poor man's Backlund is. 2013-14 Backlund?

Ceiling - uh,

High.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2017, 10:40 PM   #200
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Anyone see how he holds his stick? Top scouts call it the Kung Foo grip
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calf For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread