Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 11:21 AM   #81
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

How in the world does Bollig keep getting starts!?!?!

If you tell me size then screw that. All he has used his size for is to take stupid penalties.

Wtf Hartley. Stahp.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:21 AM   #82
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still don't see many scoring threats other than Johnny.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:22 AM   #83
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hiller over Ortio is nonsense, and I try to not criticize lineup moves too much since I don't know WTF I'm talking about most nights.

However, Ortio is not some 21 year old noob that needs to be protected. He was the best goalie on the team last year, but he 'needed to play' and the big club needed some stability.

Ortio is 24 years old. He was the best goalie in pre-season. The only way the Flames were beating the Ducks in the playoffs is if Ortio came out of the press box and did something remarkable. Hell, if Ortio doesn't injure his knee he might have been our round 1 starter.

Stop ####ing around and play your best goalie.

Break down the goals against the Isles.

1. Deryk Engelland vacates the front of the net on the PK and Grabovski has nobody within ten feet of him when he gets the puck.
2. Nielsen's shot flat out handcuffs Ortio - maybe it was deflected, but that's one I'd say should be stopped. Didn't look easy.
3. Bad defensive zone coverage from Jooris. Again, not an easy save. Ortio has to stop at least one of these.
4. Sure, let's just leave Kyle Okposo alone in the slot for three seconds. No chance.

3 of 4 goals are the result of blown assignments and free offensive looks from within 15 feet of the net. When they weren't abandoning Ortio to his fate, we got to watch the most solid, composed goaltending performance of the entire season.

Maybe all he's doing is watching the throne for Gillies, but it would do wonders for team confidence to play more games in front of a guy who just might be good enough instead of a guy they know is not.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:33 AM   #84
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Flames vs Senators - 5:30 - TVAS, SN1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Hiller over Ortio is nonsense, and I try to not criticize lineup moves too much since I don't know WTF I'm talking about most nights.

However, Ortio is not some 21 year old noob that needs to be protected. He was the best goalie on the team last year, but he 'needed to play' and the big club needed some stability.

Ortio is 24 years old. He was the best goalie in pre-season. The only way the Flames were beating the Ducks in the playoffs is if Ortio came out of the press box and did something remarkable. Hell, if Ortio doesn't injure his knee he might have been our round 1 starter.

1. Deryk Engelland vacates the front of the net on the PK and Grabovski has nobody within ten feet of him when he gets the puck.

2. Nielsen's shot flat out handcuffs Ortio - maybe it was deflected, but that's one I'd say should be stopped. Didn't look easy.

3. Bad defensive zone coverage from Jooris. Again, not an easy save. Ortio has to stop at least one of these.

4. Sure, let's just leave Kyle Okposo alone in the slot for three seconds. No chance.

3 of 4 goals are the result of blown assignments and free offensive looks from within 15 feet of the net. When they weren't abandoning Ortio to his fate, we got to watch the most solid, composed goaltending performance of the entire season.

Maybe all he's doing is watching the throne for Gillies, but it would do wonders for team confidence to play more games in front of a guy who just might be good enough instead of a guy they know is not.

I want to see Ortio to succeed as much as anybody, but come on man. Ortio was our best goalie last year? The guy played six frickin games. There was never a chance of him starting the playoffs

And even in those six games he still only had a save percentage of .908. Far from spectacular

Last edited by bax; 10-28-2015 at 11:35 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2015, 11:35 AM   #85
cofias
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
icon57

Flames... Please win tonight.

That is all.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:35 AM   #86
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
No shooters. Flames lack guys that fire the puck hard at the net. Snipe a top shelf from the wing. Without that the middle becomes easier to defend.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:39 AM   #87
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

We need Cammilleri back.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:49 AM   #88
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
We need Cammilleri back.
Just so he can be traded for Drouin.
The Following User Says Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2015, 11:52 AM   #89
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
I guess after a 31 goal season and a couple goals this year, Monahan is already washed up? His snipe against that hack AHL goalie was just a fluke shot right? Holtby or something was his name. Total hack.

Hudler's got 3 goals this year too. He's no threat either I suppose.

Gio - 3 goals.

Jones - 3 goals.

Flames went from 8th highest scoring team in the NHL to no one but Johnny can score. Interesting all these guys forgot how to hockey.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2015, 11:52 AM   #90
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post

Ortio lost so it's Hiller's turn.

If Hiller loses, we will all expect Ortio to get the next one. If that's the strategy, it has to work both ways.

Also, you can argue that none of the goals were Ortio's fault. But the bottom line is that he didn't get it done. So time for a switch.

If Hiller loses but gets the next start anyway, THEN you'll have a valid argument.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:53 AM   #91
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We need Cammilleri back.
Small, aging, left wing, overpriced.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2015, 12:13 PM   #92
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We need Cammilleri back.
Tried to re-sign him, reports were they offered Cammy pretty close to what NJ offered as far as dollars were concerned, I think NJ offered more years. That ship has sailed.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:15 PM   #93
JohnnyT
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Small, aging, left wing, overpriced.

To be fair he has more points than every single flame on what I would assume most here would consider a weaker team. So while I don't disagree that he shouldn't or isn't coming back he would probably help this team if he did
Old 10-28-2015, 12:19 PM   #94
hwy19man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Centre Ice channels for:
Wednesday, October 28
Flames at Senators, 1730h/5:30 pm Mountain
Flames feed in red

Game is on Sportsnet One in Canada, therefore it is not on Centre Ice.

USA
Indemand - Game 1 SD Game HD1
Directv - 770 SD 770-1 HD
Dish - 574 SD No HD Hopper channel 475-02

Sirius Radio-- Siri Internet 926
XM Radio-- XM Internet 926
SXM Radio-- SXM Internet 926

must show all Flames games nationally when they play on Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays !!!
Old 10-28-2015, 12:21 PM   #95
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Gaudreau playing on second line according to NHL update on my phone.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:24 PM   #96
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Which is our second line? Which is our first line? Hopefully the Sens can't figure out the matchup either and one of the lines breaks loose.
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2015, 12:32 PM   #97
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Go Flames go!
Old 10-28-2015, 12:35 PM   #98
ScorchyScorch
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
I want to see Ortio to succeed as much as anybody, but come on man. Ortio was our best goalie last year? The guy played six frickin games. There was never a chance of him starting the playoffs

And even in those six games he still only had a save percentage of .908. Far from spectacular
The .908% is because game 82 against Winnipeg factored in where he was coming off injury and playing behind callups. He was spectacular in every other game, even the Anaheim one he was solid, just Honda Center.

Yeah 4 goals against wasn't great but the team was tired, slow, poor defensively, and got worse as the night wore on. And didn't put any offence up.

Basically all the games not against Winnipeg, Ortio has given us starter quality performances.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:40 PM   #99
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Flames_Fan View Post
Gaudreau playing on second line according to NHL update on my phone.
This was a stupid notification. It's not like Gaudreau has been demoted. This is just shaking things up and trying to spread the offense out.

If anything, it should have read "Hartley creates another first line".
Old 10-28-2015, 12:41 PM   #100
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I guess after a 31 goal season and a couple goals this year, Monahan is already washed up? His snipe against that hack AHL goalie was just a fluke shot right? Holtby or something was his name. Total hack.

Hudler's got 3 goals this year too. He's no threat either I suppose.

Gio - 3 goals.

Jones - 3 goals.

Flames went from 8th highest scoring team in the NHL to no one but Johnny can score. Interesting all these guys forgot how to hockey.
Easy champ.... I dind't Say Monahan was bad so just calm the hell down. Gaudreau has the most pure skill on the team and after that there's Monahan and after that Hudler and the way its looked so far this season, Monahan and Hudler look good because of Johnny. Don't get me wrong, I love Monahan and I"m glad we have him but him alone just doesn't seem as much of a threat. This team is lacking another purely offensively gifted forward, someone else like Gaudreau. Someone else for the other team to key in on. All I'm saying is that this team needs at least one more dynamic forward like Gaudreau. Every time Johnny is on the ice, it's electrifying and he seems to put the other team on their heels, we don't have another player like that and that's what this team needs.

And if you're going to throw Jones in the mix when talking about offensive forwards, there's no point discussing this further.

Tags
gtd , winwin , winwinwinwinwinwinwinwin