Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 10:26 AM   #1
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon31 Flames @ Kings, 8:30 pm, SNW

Flames: 17-15-3, 37 points, 5th in the Pacific, 9th in the West, 18th league.

Kings: 17-11-6, 40 points, 4th in the Pacific, 8th in the West, 14th league.

The Flames have broken down the season into 7 game segments, and they had won the first four segments to start the year, putting them into a strong playoff position. Then came the streak in the last segment where the team went 0-6-1 for 1 point. Brutal for sure, but at least they can turn the page and start a new segment (or series if you will) and forget about the lack of results in the last one. Let's be honest here, if they win every segment for the rest of the year, this will likely be a playoff team. Is that a realistic expectation? I don't know for sure. Is this team as bad as their last segment? No way. Are they as good as their first four segments? Probably not, but they aren't that far away either. Tonight is a road game before a Holiday Break. This should be a game for them to leave everything on the ice and rest easy over that break. A win would give them peace of mind and let them breathe a little over those days off with family and friends. A loss would only compound their worries, and they would likely stew over it for those 4 days leading to them gripping their sticks even tighter when they come back. I would rarely call a game a "must win" game unless the team is on the verge of being eliminated from the playoffs, but this is as close to a must win as there is to turn a season around. A win tonight against the reigning Stanley Cup Champions on their ice after losing 8 straight games would be just the right confidence boost to a young team that is struggling to find their game. A loss wouldn't be a death knell, but I doubt they would play much better than .500 hockey the rest of the year if they don't win tonight.

So the Kings have been sitting waiting for the Flames since Saturday where they had a convincing win over the Coyotes that came after a win over the Blues where they scored 6 goals against a normally stingy team. This is following a rough Eastern road trip where they managed just 1 win in 5 games. 10 goals in their last 2 games does not bode well for the Flames, especially since the Kings have struggled to score for most of the early season outside of "That 70s Line", with the 17th ranked offense at 2.74 GF/G. Most of those recent goals were due to a Powerplay that scored on 5 of 11 opportunities. Unreal. The Kings leading scorer, Jeff Carter, has just one more point than our rookie Johnny Gaudreau, although he did pick up 7 points in his last 3 games and is red hot. Even hotter is Anze Kopitar who has 9 points in his last 3 games, including a 5 point night against St. Louis. Marion Gaborik also has 8 points in his last 4 games, including 6 goals. It should be noted as well that Tyler Toffoli has the same amount of points as Gaudreau. One player in particular who has struggled this year is Dustin Brown. The normally pugnacious power winger's game has been diminishing the past 2 seasons and is now on pace for just 14 goals and 24 points. Not only that, but he's brought down his line defensively too, with an uncharacteristically team worst -8.

The offensive struggles for the Kings have been problematic, but doesn't limit their success. This is still a team built on goaltending and defense. How impressive is it that they've lost Slava Voynov for nearly the entire season to date, and likely won't see him play for the team anytime soon, if ever again, and their defense doesn't miss a beat. How many teams can lose a player that plays top 4 minutes and was their 6th leading scorer last year with 34 points and not miss him significantly? It just speaks to the depth on defense and the coaching of Sutter to play a strong team defensive game. The Flames limping offense will have to find a way to beat a team that has the 6th best GA/G and an elite goaltender in Jonathan Quick who is having another Vezina worthy season with his 2.29 GAA and .923 Sv%. However despite having a strong defensive team, the Kings have only the 16th best Penalty Kill in the league, so this could be an opportunity to stimulate a Flames Powerplay that was at one time top 10 in the league and operating at over 20%. Someone for the Flames other than Hudler and Gaudreau needs to step up offensively. There have been signs of the team breaking out, but not enough to get over the hump. Defensively, the Flames have been pretty good, but somehow the puck has been ending up in the back of their net just a little more often than the opposition.

For whatever reasons this streak has gone on as long as it has, I think it ends tonight. The Kings were a team the Flames went 3-2-0 against last year, with a less talented team, and every game was a spirited, tight checking affair. I expect tonight to be no different. The Flames are hungry and the Kings are feeling good about themselves. It's the last game before the Kings go on a 5 day Holiday Break of their own on home ice and they might just be thinking ahead to spending time with their families and let the Flames in enough to steal 2 points.

Monahan has been practicing with Gaudreau and Hudler of late. No changes to the defense. Hiller has played the last two and done fairly well, and Ramo has been sick of late, so I think you see Hiller play again tonight. No confirmation yet.

Flames
Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler
Raymond-Jooris-Colborne
Glencross-Granlund-Jones
Bouma-Stajan-Byron

Giordano-Brodie
Russell-Wideman
Diaz-Engelland

Hiller

Kings
Gaborik-Kopitar-Carter
Brown-Stoll-Williams
Pearson-Lewis-Toffoli
Clifford-Richards-King

Muzzin-Doughty
Martinez-Greene
McNabb-McBain

Quick

Alright, after a couple of GDTs where I was down I give a hearty…

GO FLAMES GO!!!

Last edited by Cali Panthers Fan; 12-22-2014 at 10:36 AM.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2014, 10:31 AM   #2
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

... At least it's only 3 days until Christmas?
Old 12-22-2014, 10:47 AM   #3
iheartmonahan
Draft Pick

Pretty important upcoming four games for the Flames here, at least to those who still remain optimistic on playoff aspirations. Have the chance to make up some ground on LA with two games, and you've gotta think that they need two wins against the Oilers before the end of the year. I think the streak ends tonight.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:54 AM   #4
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

We're going to get slaughtered. 4-1 LA unfortunately. We won't win until after Christmas.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:21 AM   #5
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

i probably can't watch, so i'm betting the flames win!

Go flames go!
Old 12-22-2014, 11:51 AM   #6
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

Monahan with Hudler & Gaudreau??! Hell yes.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:53 AM   #7
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameZilla View Post
Monahan with Hudler & Gaudreau??! Hell yes.
They played together last game too.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:58 AM   #8
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I've done a couple things since last game that I haven't done since we were winning. So based on my weighty superstitions, I think we'll finally turn the tables tonight.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:06 PM   #9
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

I have the feeling we will be on this losing streak when we play the Mighty Oylaz and they will beat us to keep the streak alive.

Gotta hit the bottom of the barrel hard before we can climb out.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:10 PM   #10
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

8-0 Flames.

Byron with all 8 goals, all on breakaways.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:14 PM   #11
HUSKER4FLAMES
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
8-0 Flames.

Byron with all 8 goals, all on breakaways.
If that happens, and I hope it does, that will double his success percentage to about 4 percent.

GO BYRON
Old 12-22-2014, 12:17 PM   #12
Cflames_12.5
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I don't like this but I feel like were going 9 loses after tonight.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:21 PM   #13
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Flames Fan View Post

#SadScrivens
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2014, 12:23 PM   #14
Scoutski
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Given the most recently history of both teams...

I am not looking forward to walking in to work tomorrow.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:24 PM   #15
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Roger Millions @RogMillions
Karri Ramo to start in net vs #LAKings . Was very good at Staples Center last season.

Josh Jooris is scratched for #Flames vs Kings. Upper body injury suffered vs #Canucks

Jooris slashed to wrist in Canucks game. #Flames
Old 12-22-2014, 12:25 PM   #16
The_Future
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries. Johnny Hockey with 4 points in the the 4-1 win.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The_Future For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2014, 12:28 PM   #17
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not even thinking playoffs anymore. Just hoping to see entertaining hockey from them the rest of the way. Win or lose.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:30 PM   #18
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let's hope for some classic Gio destroying Dustin Brown moments.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:44 PM   #19
Rollin22x
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Let's hope the Flames battle for pucks in this game. I've noticed in the last few games they've been playing it safe and not racing to the puck to recover but racing to the player that has no problem taking the puck. It really looks like everyone is second guessing each other.

If the Kings get a good start - lucky goal or ridiculous break away, it will be another hard game to watch right till the end.

3-2 Flames!
Old 12-22-2014, 12:45 PM   #20
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hartley seems to like Hiller.
Closed Thread