Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2017, 05:17 PM   #961
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canadian Gabriella Dabrowski wins mixed doubles. Makes history in process, as per tsn.

http://www.tsn.ca/dabrowski-makes-ca...h-win-1.773413
Old 06-08-2017, 05:18 PM   #962
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

And Milos parts ways with his coach Krajek

http://www.tsn.ca/tennis/article/rao...jicek-1.774017
Old 06-09-2017, 04:48 AM   #963
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully this Murray, Wawrinka will be a good one.

Close first set, Murray wins in the tiebreak. A couple of crazy good points in the tiebreak.

I had to leave for work, so I can't watch the rest, or Rafa's match

Last edited by bigtmac19; 06-09-2017 at 06:42 AM.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:09 AM   #964
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Nadal-Thiem may not play today

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:19 AM   #965
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

never let Stanimal King of the Five Setter play five sets if you want to beat him.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2017, 09:37 AM   #966
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
And Milos parts ways with his coach Krajek

http://www.tsn.ca/tennis/article/rao...jicek-1.774017
Hmm strange timing considering Krajicek was brought in to help with the grass court season the most of anything. Considering Milos has spent the majority of the year on the sidelines, the two must really not have been working well with one another.

One has to wonder if this has anything to do with McEnroe appearing back in the fold with his camp last week? I would love to see McEnroe or Becker join the Raonic camp full time as they would really offer an edge his team is lacking right now.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:36 AM   #967
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

in the end, Milos is an atomic serve and a powerful (if not versatile) forehand, and not a whole lot else. he's done extremely well for himself but I don't think any combination of coaches is going to give him what he needs for a slam. of course that's the goal for every pro, but it's not exactly an equal opportunity sport when you're playing at the same time as the Gretzky, Lemieux and Orr of tennis, and another few players just below them.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:53 AM   #968
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can we talk about the Stanimal hitting 81 non-ace winners against one of the great defensive players ever...on freaking clay? Extraordinary isn't a strong enough word. So exceptionally enjoyable to watch.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:53 AM   #969
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
in the end, Milos is an atomic serve and a powerful (if not versatile) forehand, and not a whole lot else. he's done extremely well for himself but I don't think any combination of coaches is going to give him what he needs for a slam. of course that's the goal for every pro, but it's not exactly an equal opportunity sport when you're playing at the same time as the Gretzky, Lemieux and Orr of tennis, and another few players just below them.
Maybe three years ago that would be accurate, today not so much. His net play has become a very legitimate weapon to compliment his lethal service and deadly forehand. Yes, he is limited by his backhand and always will be, but when it comes down to it, players like Del Potro, Cilic and Murray have all been able to win Majors without having all the tools legends like Federer, Djokovic, Nadal and Stan have.

Milos could certainly win Wimbledon over the next 3-4 years and potentially one of the hard-court slams if he keeps improving and manages to stay healthy. He simply needs a little help in his draws so as to not end up having to beat 2-3 of the top 5 players A guy like this would not be fairly consistently making Q's and Semis of 1000 level and major tournaments if they were not capable of it.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:55 AM   #970
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Can we talk about the Stanimal hitting 81 non-ace winners against one of the great defensive players ever...on freaking clay? Extraordinary isn't a strong enough word. So exceptionally enjoyable to watch.
I'd like to think Stan can give Nadal a run for his money with a performance like that but I don't think anyone is even on the same page as far as clay goes. Nadal is about to steam roll one of the best players on tour this year to add to his already impressive destruction of the draw.

I'll be rooting for Stan. If he does manage to win it would be one of the most impressive defeats in recent memory.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 06-09-2017 at 11:04 AM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 11:32 AM   #971
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

how about a one-handed backhand for Milos? more slice
i know it would be tough to switch now.

Old 06-09-2017, 01:14 PM   #972
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
how about a one-handed backhand for Milos? more slice
i know it would be tough to switch now.
I feel like this would be far too large of a departure from his current attacking style to pay off. There are really only a handful of players on tour that can attack effectively with one handed backhands. Milos doesn't have the finesse from that side to pull it off in my opinion. He's best fit to continue to improve his current repertoire and focus on the grass/hardcourt events that he has the best chance of winning.

The next 2-3 months will tell a lot about where his game is going now that he appears to be healthy again.
Old 06-09-2017, 02:24 PM   #973
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
Maybe three years ago that would be accurate, today not so much. His net play has become a very legitimate weapon to compliment his lethal service and deadly forehand. Yes, he is limited by his backhand and always will be, but when it comes down to it, players like Del Potro, Cilic and Murray have all been able to win Majors without having all the tools legends like Federer, Djokovic, Nadal and Stan have.
Andy has made 9 slam finals and won 3 of them, so I wouldn't lump him in with the one-slam wonders. if you mean that Milos might be able to sneak in a major the way Delpo and Cilic did, i.e. a single hot run where everything miraculously came together, then sure I guess. but a legit threat that's going to be in that position multiple times? I don't see it.

he might be able to wait for the Big 4 to age out and exploit a small window there, but guys like Zverev and Thiem are improving every week, and don't have the built-in deficiencies that Milos does. the guy just doesn't look that smooth or natural on court to me. given that, #3 in the world is an amazing accomplishment and I don't find myself wanting more out of him.
Old 06-09-2017, 02:40 PM   #974
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
Andy has made 9 slam finals and won 3 of them, so I wouldn't lump him in with the one-slam wonders. if you mean that Milos might be able to sneak in a major the way Delpo and Cilic did, i.e. a single hot run where everything miraculously came together, then sure I guess. but a legit threat that's going to be in that position multiple times? I don't see it.

he might be able to wait for the Big 4 to age out and exploit a small window there, but guys like Zverev and Thiem are improving every week, and don't have the built-in deficiencies that Milos does. the guy just doesn't look that smooth or natural on court to me. given that, #3 in the world is an amazing accomplishment and I don't find myself wanting more out of him.
Keep in mind Andy was essentially one of those guys that just couldn't quite get there until 3-4 years ago as well. He has also been at it much longer than Milos and certainly has a few deficiencies in his game. His service and net play are very exploitable which is why he is not currently running away with the number one ranking while the rest of the field is somewhat floundering. He's arrived where he is solely on the back of hard work and maximizing all of his strengths (returning, ground strokes, determination). I see many similarities between his career arc and that of Raonic and that is the need to lose a few big matches before they figure it out. Milos certainly has limitations but nothing nearly as limiting to keep him from winning a slam.

One doesn't merely sneak in a major as you say either. Both Cilic and Del Potro won on the backs of playing excellent tennis for long stretches of time. They were never number one players but you don't need to be in order to win slams. Say what you want about the up and comers, they're all a dime a dozen until they prove they can hold a ranking for more than a few months at a time.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 06-09-2017 at 02:49 PM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 08:44 AM   #975
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Women's final into a 3rd set. Ostapenko has hit 40 winners. Halep just hanging on.

Old 06-10-2017, 09:40 AM   #976
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

What a scene with Ostapenko winning. Great match!
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mango For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2017, 09:49 AM   #977
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

hope she goes far, women's tennis needs that kind of play instead of chokers in the top 4.

1 match point boom, it was over. 54 winners!

The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2017, 10:34 AM   #978
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

So ummm...yeah she can crush her forehand

It seems like she still has a lot of room to improve too, can get better at serving, better at constructing points and not just going for it, better at the net. But when you have natural power like she has and the guts to go for broke, she might win many more majors in the era of players playing it safe. Or she might be a one and done who had the two weeks of her life. I guess we're about to find out.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:49 AM   #979
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

no contest, cakewalk to the championship for Nadal

---

Andresscu/Branstine won the girl's doubles yesterday

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2017, 09:25 AM   #980
bigtmac19
Franchise Player