Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2016, 06:00 PM   #421
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
Would doing the Larch Valley trail next Sunday (Sept 11) be too early in seeing a good exposure of the autumn colours? Ideally I would like to go later on in the month but do to scheduling conflicts, that date is what works best before it's too late into October.
IIRC group size / bear restriction in effect until the 15th or later. Something to consider.

Went up Rockbound late last Sept. Colours were changing, skiff of frost/snow was on everything. Eerie clouds rolled in, got some phenomenal pics that trip.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 08:49 AM   #422
Chingyul
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
IIRC group size / bear restriction in effect until the 15th or later. Something to consider.

Went up Rockbound late last Sept. Colours were changing, skiff of frost/snow was on everything. Eerie clouds rolled in, got some phenomenal pics that trip.
No group size restrictions when we went last weekend (Aug 27). Best to give them a call an check, but if' you're only go up to Larch Valley, then it'll be packed full of people.
Chingyul is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chingyul For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2016, 05:58 PM   #423
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can anybody recommend anything for shoes that don't slip on wet rock or something you can spray on the soles of your shoes that help with grip/stickiness. Anything proven or would recommend? Sucks to get a little bit of rain or snow and shut down hiking season because of it. Crampons, microspikes, yaktrax, none of these help on wet rock.

Is there such a thing? There has to be something out there?
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 06:01 PM   #424
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stealth rubber or really any climbing rubber. So look for approach shoes

5.10 stuff works really well or scarpa

I've used the canyoneers in Utah Canyon on wet rock haven't used their hiking shoes though

http://www.fiveten.com/us/outdoor

Last edited by GGG; 09-09-2016 at 06:03 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2016, 11:28 AM   #425
TomLeeMC
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Has anyone hiked/climbed Mount Cline? Just looking for some info on climbing the notches? Buddy and I are heading in Thursday night and hoping to summit Friday, will be my first 11000 footer and I'm pretty pumped.
Old 09-13-2016, 01:37 PM   #426
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Two attempts. One thwarted by forest fires. The second by a massive September snow storm. Skyline is basically my Everest now. Good luck.
Well, we made it, but it was very cold and wet. Cleared up a bit on the notch then walked the ridge in a hail storm. Fun!
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2016, 02:14 PM   #427
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
Well, we made it, but it was very cold and wet. Cleared up a bit on the notch then walked the ridge in a hail storm. Fun!
How many days did you do it over & what sites did you stay at?
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 07:09 AM   #428
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

We had a gorgeous Dicaprio in the mountains yesterday. 18 degrees!
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 10:07 PM   #429
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Bump.
Been doing a few short hikes near Bragg Creek, still looks like there's quite a bit of snow further west, even Prairie Mountain.
Basically jogged up and down Mclean Hill on Friday, which had surprisingly good views. Didnt see any dirtbikers on the trail, just some spent shotgun casings here and there, which I dont think is allowed.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 03:52 PM   #430
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum PEI View Post
Bump.
Been doing a few short hikes near Bragg Creek, still looks like there's quite a bit of snow further west, even Prairie Mountain.
Basically jogged up and down Mclean Hill on Friday, which had surprisingly good views. Didnt see any dirtbikers on the trail, just some spent shotgun casings here and there, which I dont think is allowed.
I think that as long as you are in the PLUZ and not the Provincial Recreation Area, shooting guns in Maclean Creek is perfectly legal as long as you are an appropriate distance away from the road.

There is still a crap ton of snow up high. Several of the mountains around Canmore are finally coming into season (Heart, Door Jamb/Loder, etc...I even saw a trip report from Mt. Lawrence Grassi the other day that looked decent) but it's going to be a late spring for getting into the high country. A friend and I did Lakeview Ridge down in Waterton 3 weeks ago and I was amazed at the amount of white stuff still up there.
"There will be a short outage tonight sometime between 11:00PM and 1:00AM as network upgrades are performed. Please do not panic and overthrow society. Thank you."
Redliner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Redliner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2017, 08:48 AM   #431
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you are planning on backpacking trips this year book quickly as it appears to be filling up much faster (stupid free park passes). Jasper has all dates open now and Banff is booking into August now. I got Skoki, the Brazeau loop and a day trip to Ohara lined up this year.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:56 AM   #432
uofaflamesfan
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Can anyone recommend a good day hike for this weekend near Canmore/Banff?

Got some friends visiting from the states, who are very outdoorsy and would like to go on a decent hike.

Looking at trail reports, looks like there is still a ton of snow everywhere
uofaflamesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 11:21 AM   #433
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ Haven't been through in a few weeks, but EEOR is probably in decent shape (likely still some snow to make navigating a cliff band near the top a bit more challenging - proper footwear required, poles/microspikes might be nice), and a nice alternative to the lemming line that is Ha Ling.

I've never done it early/late season, but I would think something like WindTower would be in good shape, too.

Both are relentless, but straightforward climbs with great view at top. If you want something more moderate, maybe Jura Creek? I can't think of any nice, forested trails that would be good yet. Wind Ridge/Pigeon Mountain area might have more trees on the way up, but probably still some nasty snow patches.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2017, 11:27 AM   #434
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some friends did Yamnuska on the weekend and I didn't see any snow in the pics IIRC. Could change after today though.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2017, 03:11 PM   #435
steve9981
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Nm

Last edited by steve9981; 08-21-2017 at 01:46 PM.
steve9981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 03:29 PM   #436
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve9981 View Post
Anyone able to speak on the difficulty of Opal Ridge South? Plan on doing it later this week and just want to make sure it isn't too steep for out of province friends. They hike quite a bit in BC but just want to make sure this won't be too severe.
Doesn't that start beyond the highway closure? The Opal Ridge I did was pretty steep for sure. But it also started just south of the kananaskis lake turn off.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:53 PM   #437
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It's before the gate. Never done it myself but my guide book says it's a scramble with no exposure FWIW.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 06:32 AM   #438
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve9981 View Post
Anyone able to speak on the difficulty of Opal Ridge South? Plan on doing it later this week and just want to make sure it isn't too steep for out of province friends. They hike quite a bit in BC but just want to make sure this won't be too severe.
If I remember correctly it's in that Ha Ling /EEOR category. Steep, but safe. However more difficult route finding and a less developed trail. Easy scramble rather than difficult hike.

Last edited by GGG; 06-06-2017 at 06:34 AM.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:56 AM   #439
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

What fitness level is required for Berg Lake?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 12:04 PM   #440
temple5
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I am embarrassed how much my new hiking boots cost

But after a few light day hikes I can safely say that these Zamberlan boots are the best boot I have ever owned (also the most expensive by about double).
temple5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backcountry , backpacking , hiking , tenting , wilderness