Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-26-2012, 09:04 PM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Default Ferland trying to return to Wheat Kings. UPDATE: traded to Saskatoon

RT @SUNGilbertson: Reports out of Brandon #Flames prospect Michael Ferland practised with Wheat Kings today hoping to rejoin the WHL squad.

Guess things are too crowded in abbotsford

http://luberslounge.blogspot.ca/

Quote:
“I hope Calgary and my agent figure it would, and I hope I’ll be able to play here on the 28th against Moose Jaw,” said Ferland after the Boxing Day night practice with the Wheat Kings.

Ferland has dressed in just seven games with the AHL’s Abbotsford Heat and had a three-game stint with the ECHL’s Utah Grizzlies just before Christmas, but has been a frequent healthy scratch in his first professional season.

It’s been a frustrating first half of the season for the 6-foot-2, 208 pounder to the point where he felt he needed to be sent back to junior in order to get back to playing games.

“It’s already Christmastime, and I’ve only played seven games. I’ve talked to my agent, I’ve talked to Kelly (Wheat Kings’ GM Kelly McCrimmon), I’ve talked with the Flames’ GM and it came down to trying to come back for another year of junior,” said Ferland, “It’s only going to get harder to crack Abbotsford’s lineup with the team they have so, you know, I’m just excited to get back to playing some hockey games here.”

Ferland’s agent is currently trying to work with the Flames in order to have him transferred back to the Wheat Kings for the balance of the season.

Last edited by sureLoss; 12-26-2012 at 09:30 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2012, 09:35 PM   #2
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now that's some interesting news. Playing time is key to develop him into the Lucic he wants to be.

Could he not crack the Utah lineup either? or is Brandon better opportunity to dominate and develop?
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:08 PM   #3
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's got the right attitude in that he wants to play. I'm a little disappointed in his progress though.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:30 PM   #4
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

he's only played 3 years of junior.

Darryl Sutter use to say that most prospects need 4 years of junior to mature and develop. The off-season legal issue and coming to camp out of shape would suggest a lack of maturity and development
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:09 AM   #5
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Utah has Colby Armstrong and Trevor Lewis there, plus their own local regulars, plus Bryan Cameron, Mitch Wahl and Gaelan Patterson. Hard to fit Ferland in.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2012, 11:54 AM   #6
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

He should get back to junior. This is the year he needs the most playing time, and junior can bump his confidence back up.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:10 PM   #7
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like Michael got his wish:

Calgary Flames@NHLFlames
Michael Ferland has been assigned to the @bdnwheatkings ~ http://bit.ly/VlcWvC

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2012, 01:05 PM   #8
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
he's only played 3 years of junior.

Darryl Sutter use to say that most prospects need 4 years of junior to mature and develop. The off-season legal issue and coming to camp out of shape would suggest a lack of maturity and development
Agreed. But I wouldn't reference Sutter for wisdom in prospect development!
kehatch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kehatch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2012, 01:45 PM   #9
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Good luck to Michael. Have fun dominating junior.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:34 PM   #10
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's a bit of a joke that the flames didn't make room for Ferland in the AHL or ECHL. Development is first and foremost in the AHL, there really isn't much point signing so many journeyman AHL guys to take spots away from real prospects.

The Heat have way too many career minor leaguers. Guys like Laing, Walter, Kolanos, McCarthy, Callahan, Piskula. Guys like Ferland, Wahl, Martin should be learning on the job with the Heat. Especially given the lease deal the Heat have! There's really no need to ice a competitive team. It's not like the fans appreciate it anyways.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:41 PM   #11
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
I think it's a bit of a joke that the flames didn't make room for Ferland in the AHL or ECHL. Development is first and foremost in the AHL, there really isn't much point signing so many journeyman AHL guys to take spots away from real prospects.

The Heat have way too many career minor leaguers. Guys like Laing, Walter, Kolanos, McCarthy, Callahan, Piskula. Guys like Ferland, Wahl, Martin should be learning on the job with the Heat. Especially given the lease deal the Heat have! There's really no need to ice a competitive team. It's not like the fans appreciate it anyways.
I believe the Flames told the City of Abbotsford they would try and ice a competitive team because of the deal they have.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:39 PM   #12
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

If Ferland isn't good enough at this point to beat out guys like Kolanos, Laing, Walter etc. I am not sure what he is going to gain from either him or others being put in their roles and playing above their heads.

Plus, it isn't like the 3 guys you mentioned are top prospects being held down and likely all 3 never make the Flames outside of maybe a gimme game here or there.

He is 20 years old, has had a marginal career/potential for a prospect so far so going back to junior is likely the best thing for his development and the Flames organization at this point.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to moon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2012, 09:14 AM   #13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
If Ferland isn't good enough at this point to beat out guys like Kolanos, Laing, Walter etc. I am not sure what he is going to gain from either him or others being put in their roles and playing above their heads.

Plus, it isn't like the 3 guys you mentioned are top prospects being held down and likely all 3 never make the Flames outside of maybe a gimme game here or there.

He is 20 years old, has had a marginal career/potential for a prospect so far so going back to junior is likely the best thing for his development and the Flames organization at this point.
I just don't see the point in signing 3o year old journeyman for a development team. At that level, You should be sinking or swimming with prospects whether they are good or not. A marginal prospect still has room to develop, a 30 something journeyman is done. There's an investment opportunity even with a marginal prospect but there is zero return with a journeyman.

I can understand a signing like Street and maybe even Mcelvie as both guys arre in their mid 20's but McCarthy, Walter, Kolanos, does not fit in with the whole development process.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:59 AM   #14
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I just don't see the point in signing 3o year old journeyman for a development team. At that level, You should be sinking or swimming with prospects whether they are good or not. A marginal prospect still has room to develop, a 30 something journeyman is done. There's an investment opportunity even with a marginal prospect but there is zero return with a journeyman.

I can understand a signing like Street and maybe even Mcelvie as both guys arre in their mid 20's but McCarthy, Walter, Kolanos, does not fit in with the whole development process.
Well you need guys to fill roles on the team that young guys can't fill and you need guys to do the "heavy lifting" at times during the season allowing the prospects to develop without being asked to do things they can't do. Asking Wahl, Ferland Reinhart and even Baertschi to be the offensive leaders on the team would be a disaster. Asking them to play 20+ minutes a night would result in injuries, frustration and little development.

Putting a team of all prospects in the AHL would get them beat every night and not develop anything. Part of developing players is putting them in the right situations and learning how to be a pro which is what vets like Walter, Mccarthy can provide.

As for Kolanos as bad as he was he did fill in at the NHL level for the Flames last year (and presumedly could this year if they played) something that Ferland, Wahl etc. couldn't do without looking horrific and costing the Flames points.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to moon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2012, 12:44 PM   #15
Doc Hudson
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
something that Ferland, Wahl etc. couldn't do without looking horrific and costing the Flames points.
I noticed a long time ago that sometimes players shine when given the right opportunity, and it can be quite unpredictable. It is certainly somewhat silly to just guess at someone's potential without them ever having that opportunity.

From Brian Elliott to Andrew Shaw, people surprise.
Doc Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Hudson For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2012, 12:52 PM   #16
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Hudson View Post
I noticed a long time ago that sometimes players shine when given the right opportunity, and it can be quite unpredictable. It is certainly somewhat silly to just guess at someone's potential without them ever having that opportunity.

From Brian Elliott to Andrew Shaw, people surprise.
Ferland and Wahl couldn't crack the AHL this year. Sure people can surprise but I don't think it is a stretch to say that they would be out of their league in the NHL.

Brian Elliot had a full season at the AHL before doing anything at the NHL level so he didn't come out of nowhere and using exceptions to the rule is a pretty weak reason for doing anything.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:36 PM   #17
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehatch View Post
Agreed. But I wouldn't reference Sutter for wisdom in prospect development!
hmm, why not?

His drafting was down right brutal, but i think he was pretty spot on with his handling of players like giordano, phaneuf.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:37 PM   #18
flames_fan13
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

There's a couple reasons why you need to sign veterans at the AHL. First veterans are valuable to teaching rookies in learning the pace of pro hockey. Secondly veterans know the little tricks and tips to succeed. Players need to earn their spot not be given it Wahl hadn't really done much to earn a spot and same could be said about Ferland.

Also the AHL may be considered a development league to the NHL but it still is a league and winning is still a top priority. A winning team needs veterans and rookies to have success and a winning environment is better for players to develop than a losing one.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:08 PM   #19
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ferland and Wahl couldn't crack the AHL this year. Sure people can surprise but I don't think it is a stretch to say that they would be out of their league in the NHL.

Brian Elliot had a full season at the AHL before doing anything at the NHL level so he didn't come out of nowhere and using exceptions to the rule is a pretty weak reason for doing anything.
I don't say this often but I agree with Moon in this thread. Players have to earn spots and vets and winning are important to help the development of prospects. Throwing kids to the wolves will back fire more often than not.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:17 PM   #20
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
I don't say this often but I agree with Moon in this thread. Players have to earn spots and vets and winning are important to help the development of prospects. Throwing kids to the wolves will back fire more often than not.
Case and point: the 2010-11 Heat with Sutter as a GM ignoring his farm team success and Playfair as coach being a tough, mean, hard knocks teacher.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote