Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-17-2012, 02:05 PM   #1
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Flames-Centric World Junior Prospect Thread

There's a lot of teams at the World Juniors. Want to keep track of the Flames prospects over in Ufa, Russia? Here's your place!

Team USA: (guaranteed a medal)
-G Jon Gillies - played third period against Germany, shared shut-out with John Gibson
-D Patrick Sieloff - played 5 games, 0 points
-LW Johnny Gaudreau - 7 goals, 2 assists in 6 games (leads USA in scoring)
Team Canada: (fourth place)
-D Tyler Wotherspoon - 6 games, 1 goal, 1 assist
Team Finland: (seventh place)
-C Markus Granlund - 6 games, 5 goals, 7 assists

Pre-Competition:
-12/20:
Finland 3, Canada 2 (CAN Wotherspoon 11:05 TOI, even) (FIN Granlund 23:26 TOI, 6 shots, 1 goal, minus-1);
United States 3, Sweden 2 (OT) (USA Sieloff 16:22 TOI, 6 shots, even) (USA Gillies 28:16 TOI, 18 saves)
-12/22:
Finland 5, United States 1 (FIN Granlund 17:10 TOI, 6 shots, 1 goal, even) (USA Gillies dressed but didn't play) (USA Gaudreau 13:46 TOI, 3 shots, minus-1)
Canada 2, Sweden 1 (SO) (CAN Wotherspoon 14:55 TOI, 1 shot)

Round Robin:
-12/26: Finland 5, Latvia 1 (FIN Granlund 1 goal, 69% face-off wins, 4 shots, even)
Canada 9, Germany 3 (CAN Wotherspoon 1 goal, 3 shots, +1)
-12/27: USA 8, Germany 0 (USA Gaudreau 100% face-off wins, 5 shots, even) (USA Gillies 20 minutes-played, 7 saves, 0 goals against)
-12/28: Canada 6, Slovakia 3 (CAN Wotherspoon 1 assist, +1)
Czech Republic 3, Finland 1 (FIN Granlund 33% face-off wins, 3 shots, -2)
Russia 2, USA 1 (USA Gillies didn't play) (USA Sieloff even) (USA Gaudreau even, 3 shots)
-12/30: Finland 5, Switzerland 4 (SO) (FIN Granlund 67% face-off wins, 2 goals, even, 6 shots)
Canada 2, USA 1 (CAN Wotherspoon +1) (USA Gillies didn't play) (USA Sieloff even) (USA Gaudreau 100% face-off wins, 2 shots, -2)
-12/31: USA 9, Slovakia 3 (USA Gillies didn't play) (USA Sieloff -1) (USA Gaudreau 2 goals, 1 assist, 5 shots, +2)
Sweden 7, Finland 4 (FIN Granlund 57% face-off wins, 1 assist, 2 PM, 4 shots, -2)
Canada 4, Russia 1 (CAN Wotherspoon even)

Playoff Round:
-1/2: USA 7, Czech Republic 0 (USA Gillies didn't play) (USA Sieloff 1 shot, even) (USA Gaudreau 3 goals, 4 shots, even)
Finland 8, Germany 0 (FIN Granlund 1 goal, 3 assists, 58% face-off wins, 6 shots, +3)
-1/3: USA 5, Canada 1 (USA Gillies didn't play) (USA Sieloff 2 PM, even) (USA Gaudreau 2 goals, 1 assist, 3 shots, +2) (CAN Wotherspoon -1)
-1/4: Finland 11, Slovakia 4 (FIN Granlund 3 assists, 68% face-off wins, 2 shots, even)
-1/5: Russia 6, Canada 5 (OT) (CAN Wotherspoon 1 shot, -2)
Gold Medal Game (USA vs. Sweden) [6am]

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman

Last edited by Freeway; 01-05-2013 at 07:06 AM.
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:22 PM   #2
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

5 star thread

is your cat doing singing?
handgroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:48 PM   #3
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll be interested to see which line Granlund ends up on. There are younger guys in the lineup that can really outplay him if he's not playing his best, and if you look at what groups should go well together, he may end up on the third line.

But I don't know how they're going to approach this issue.

As far as Finland goes, people are mostly worried about the goaltending situation. No clear number one in this age group, just three guys competing.
Henry Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:23 PM   #4
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Have they confirmed any re-runs of at least the Canada games later on in the day for those of us who don't have the luxury of waking up in the middle of the night/early morning on weekdays?

Would be nice for some after work/evening rebroadcasts
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:28 PM   #5
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by handgroen View Post
5 star thread
...but doesn't give thanks
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to red sky For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2012, 03:28 PM   #6
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

What they've scheduled is probably it.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:29 PM   #7
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
Have they confirmed any re-runs of at least the Canada games later on in the day for those of us who don't have the luxury of waking up in the middle of the night/early morning on weekdays?

So I should assume that you do not own a PVR?
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:38 PM   #8
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sieloff paired with Trouba at the camp today.

Good sign for Sieloff considering Trouba is pretty much a lock, and the two have chemistry since they played together on the U-18 team last year.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2012, 03:59 PM   #9
drPepper1
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Lookin fwd to watching Sieloff lay the boom on Hopkins
drPepper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drPepper1 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2012, 04:06 PM   #10
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post

Just checking my Bell schedule and the Finland exhibition game on Thu. is rebroadcast at 4:30 PST on TSN 1 and at 9:00 PST on TSN 2. I suspect the rest of the games will be rebroadcast too.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2012, 07:29 AM   #11
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red sky View Post
So I should assume that you do not own a PVR?
Sadly I do not.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:32 AM   #12
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

What does it mean that Granlund can tear it up at the international level, but is rather pedestrian back in the SM-Liiga?
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:35 AM   #13
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
What does it mean that Granlund can tear it up at the international level, but is rather pedestrian back in the SM-Liiga?
Overall quality of team mates or coaching? Not properly untilized in the mens league? Or just that he still doesnt have the size to properly assert himself in the mens league.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:01 PM   #14
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Overall quality of team mates or coaching? Not properly untilized in the mens league? Or just that he still doesnt have the size to properly assert himself in the mens league.
In that same vein, is it possible for Markus to come to the CHL? Possibly the QMJHL where it would be a nice transition for him?

Also, I've scoured the intertubes and I can't see that any CHL team holds his rights. Does anyone know if a CHL team holds his rights?

I was also thinking Granlund could come over to the Heat during playoff time (if the Heat make it) just to learn the ropes of what it takes to be a pro and to practice with a professional team. Might be good for him.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:01 PM   #15
Mitch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
In that same vein, is it possible for Markus to come to the CHL? Possibly the QMJHL where it would be a nice transition for him?

Also, I've scoured the intertubes and I can't see that any CHL team holds his rights. Does anyone know if a CHL team holds his rights?

I was also thinking Granlund could come over to the Heat during playoff time (if the Heat make it) just to learn the ropes of what it takes to be a pro and to practice with a professional team. Might be good for him.
I doubt he comes over to the CHL, Weisbrod seemed very happy that Granlund was playing in a mens league.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:41 PM   #16
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

HIFK is a professional team and he's been playing there for two seasons.

AHL might be a good idea next year.

There's no paradox in him scoring a couple of goals against juniors and not having scored a whole lot with HIFK lately. Different situations. Players go through ups and downs.
Henry Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:26 AM   #17
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Team USA has made two of the required three cuts following the Finland loss to get very close to their final roster: http://worldjuniors.usahockey.com/ne...le/show/205481

Brady Skjei (D) & Stefan Matteau (F) were cut, meaning Patrick Sieloff is still on the roster, but they need to cut one more defenceman to get to their final roster. Apparently, they're awaiting "the resolution of a medical situation" before making the final cut.

So, either Sieloff will be the final cut, or he'll be on the team. I believe that Gaudreau was the final cut last year and he's been on fire pretty much ever since.

Last edited by getbak; 12-23-2012 at 03:29 AM.
getbak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to getbak For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2012, 09:23 AM   #18
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

did sieloff get cut? anybody know?

is your cat doing singing?
handgroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:34 AM   #19
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by handgroen View Post
did sieloff get cut? anybody know?
Still with the team for now, has travelled with the team to Ufa. Sounds like they are going to make their last cut before tomorrow.

Quote:
The delay in announcing the final cut may have something to do with the upper body injury sustained by defenseman Connor Murphy last week. The 6-foot-4, 205-pound blueliner from the Sarnia Sting in the Ontario Hockey League took a puck to the neck area last Thursday against Sweden and earned less than eight minutes of ice time in Saturday's pre-tournament exhibition against Finland. Murphy did practice with the team in Ufa on Monday. Defenseman Patrick Sieloff was a healthy scratch for the Finland game.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/blog.htm?id=1...d=nhl:topheads
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2012, 03:49 PM   #20
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Still with the team for now, has travelled with the team to Ufa. Sounds like they are going to make their last cut before tomorrow.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blog.htm?id=1...d=nhl:topheads
I guess it all depends on when Murphy is ready but the US doesn't have to make any decision unless they have another injury to a defenceman. They still have 6 defencemen ready to go and can name their final roster at any time. I'm not saying this is what they will do but it is a possibility.

Quote:
According to IIHF Bylaw 802.2, the United States only needs to register 15 skaters and two goalies by Dec. 25. After that deadline is met, a team can roster additional players each game, until reaching the maximum of 20 skaters and three goalies, which includes one emergency backup goalie.
Once a player has seen action in the tournament, he is permanently on the roster and cannot be removed.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=12404
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post: