Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2013, 05:47 PM   #141
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Fire View Post
Breen has stepped up this year. I don't know what Breen you have been watching. He has been pretty lackluster the past few yeas. This year he is actually using his size to his advantage.
Yes he has stepped up THIS year, but he struggled LAST year and was very good the year BEFORE under Playfair.

At best, Ward has done as good a job as Playfair, but I don't think you can say he's done a better job. The results haven't been there yet. Not saying they won't be.

I just think we as fans should give a bit more time to evaluate his work, rather than saying he's great, because the results aren't really there yet.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:36 AM   #142
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now that the World Juniors are over, we can look back and say it was a pretty good tournament for all the Flames prospects involved...

Wotherspoon and Sieloff weren't big point producers, but that's not why they were there either. Both got significant PK time throughout the tournament, and their coaches clearly gained confidence in them as the tournament went along.

Gillies only had 20 minutes of ice time (during which, he didn't allow a goal), but he goes home with a gold medal, and this year's experience should make him a front-runner to be the starter for Team USA next year.

Granlund was named one of Finland's top three players in the tournament; led Finland in assists; and was tied for the team lead in points (second overall).

Gaudreau...What can you say about Johnny Hockey? Led the tournament in goals; led the US in points; one of Team USA's top three players in the tournament; named to the tournament All-Star team.

Most importantly: Gaudreau, Sieloff, and Gillies are all coming home with gold medals.

getbak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to getbak For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2013, 09:47 AM   #143
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Gillies only had 20 minutes of ice time (during which, he didn't allow a goal), but he goes home with a gold medal, and this year's experience should make him a front-runner to be the starter for Team USA next year.
I'm glad he got some ice time. Ahead of the tournament, some reports suggested that Sparks would be the #2 in net, but as it turned out, Gillies played while Sparks goes home without ice time. Surely a great experience for Gillies and I have no doubt that he'll have a bigger role next year. Sieloff too ... I was happy that he even made the team (I expected Skiej or Grzelcyk make it ahead of Sieloff), but he really earned more trust and ice time in the later stages of the tournament.

The tournament couldn't have been a lot better from the Flames' perspective.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:25 PM   #144
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Next year has potential to be good for the Flames too. Gillies and Sieloff should have bigger roles. Any Americans or Europeans drafted in the first 2 rounds on 2013 have a shot. Jankowski should be in the mix.

Plus if Trouba and Jones return for the Americans then Sieloff and Gillies should be favorites for gold.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:09 PM   #145
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

The 2014 World Juniors will be showcasing players with 1994 birthdays (or later).

Of the Flames prospects... Coda Gordon (Canada), Mark Jankowski (Canada), Brett Kulak (Canada), Patrick Sieloff (United States) and Jon Gillies (United States) will be eligible to participate.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post: