Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-20-2017, 02:43 PM   #821
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

"Grandpa what did you do to fight resurgent fascism in the first half of the 21st century?"

"Well grandson, I sat on the internet making self righteous statements about how the neo-Nazis and anti-fascists were morally equivalent. Because, you see grandson, what was of utmost importance was to use these moments to confirm my existing worldview and superiority complex."
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 03:03 PM   #822
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I think it should be obvious in the context of this thread who the term "nazis" refers to.

Tip: It's not the Third Reich ones. You're being sensationalist.
"Don't worry my friends! We're just Nazis! No, not the literal same Nazis that committed genocide in the 1900s or the ones responsible for countless acts of violence since that time, just a group of well-meaning individuals who carry the same flag, idolise the same dictator, believe in the same good-spirited ethnical cleansing and other widely despised ideology. Make sure you distinguish us from the third reich, because nobody is stupid enough to put us into a position of power that would let us commit genocide again, and we should get credit for that!"
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 03:08 PM   #823
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
I don't even

"Familys"

That says it all, doesn't it? I sorta feel bad for these schmucks because they're clearly illiterate and ignorant. Like any other person who can barely read and is grossly uninformed, they don't even realize just how bad off they are, and I just want to help them.

But, as I often say, you have to want to be helped in order to actually be helped. None of these guys think they have a problem (probably due to a false sense of superiority as a white male of a certain generation), and that's why they're stuck in crap jobs barely making enough to live the life they want. White Americans are finding out that the global economy is a competitive place, and they simply don't have the skills to compete anymore.

How about some remedial English classes to start? Perhaps that might put them on a path to become more educated and maybe have a new set of marketable skills to work with. Perhaps then they'll stop blaming anyone but themselves for their current set of circumstances, and become more empathetic to people that don't look like them.

Who am I kidding...these guys are lost causes.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2017, 03:10 PM   #824
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
"Don't worry my friends! We're just Nazis! No, not the literal same Nazis that committed genocide in the 1900s or the ones responsible for countless acts of violence since that time, just a group of well-meaning individuals who carry the same flag, idolise the same dictator, believe in the same good-spirited ethnical cleansing and other widely despised ideology. Make sure you distinguish us from the third reich, because nobody is stupid enough to put us into a position of power that would let us commit genocide again, and we should get credit for that!"
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2017, 03:15 PM   #825
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

@ Cali

Meh, don't be so trusting of viral social media bull**** these days. It makes up the better part of everything you see. That reeks of a shirt created by social media clowns, made to resemble the typical redneck mistakes.

"Hrr hrr hrr, it'll have a spelling mistake and we'll call it '14 words' but it'll have less!!! AHAHAHAHAHA".

Yeah, there's a lot uneducated people, but the whole saying how many words there are and then having three less isn't subtle enough. See it for what it is.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 03:18 PM   #826
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Perhaps it's referring to the and children that the family is in possession of and they just couldn't afford the apostrophe.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 03:22 PM   #827
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
@ Cali

Meh, don't be so trusting of viral social media bull**** these days. It makes up the better part of everything you see. That reeks of a shirt created by social media clowns, made to resemble the typical redneck mistakes.

"Hrr hrr hrr, it'll have a spelling mistake and we'll call it '14 words' but it'll have less!!! AHAHAHAHAHA".

Yeah, there's a lot uneducated people, but the whole saying how many words there are and then having three less isn't subtle enough. See it for what it is.
I can't comment on that particular shirt, but "14 words" is an actual white supremacist slogan. The text on that shirt appears to have a similar message except with slightly different wording (possibly so it could fit on the shirt?).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourteen_Words

Quote:
Fourteen Words, or simply 14, is a reference to a white supremacist slogan: "We must secure the existence of our people and a future for white children." It can be used to refer to a different 14-word slogan: "Because the beauty of the White Aryan woman must not perish from the earth."

Both slogans were coined by David Lane, a member of the white supremacist group The Order, and publicized through the efforts of the now defunct Fourteen Word Press, which helped popularize it and other writings of Lane. The first slogan is claimed to have been inspired (albeit not by Lane or by Fourteen Word Press) by a statement, 88 words in length, from Volume 1, Chapter 8 of Adolf Hitler's Mein Kampf:

What we must fight for is to safeguard the existence and reproduction of our race and our people, the sustenance of our children and the purity of our blood, the freedom and independence of the fatherland, so that our people may mature for the fulfillment of the mission allotted it by the creator of the universe. Every thought and every idea, every doctrine and all knowledge, must serve this purpose. And everything must be examined from this point of view and used or rejected according to its utility.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2017, 03:28 PM   #828
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
I could be not understanding the point being made but it seems like some people are suggesting that there is never a time for violence. So, to clarify, is there ever a time where violence is justified besides immediate self-defence? If so, where is the line?
Violence is never a suitable response to speech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
"Grandpa what did you do to fight resurgent fascism in the first half of the 21st century?"

"Well grandson, I sat on the internet making self righteous statements about how the neo-Nazis and anti-fascists were morally equivalent. Because, you see grandson, what was of utmost importance was to use these moments to confirm my existing worldview and superiority complex."
So it's resurgent fascism now, is it? Who says our modern social media has destroyed all sense of context and proportionality? The U.S. has about as big a chance of going fascist today - abolishing independent courts, doing away with congress and elections, killing or interning domestic enemies - as it had of going communist in the 50s.

Within living memory, U.S. democracy survived a political climate that was, literally, 20 times more violent than the one we're in today. Cities burning. Race riots leaving dozens dead and thousands injured. Tens of thousands of conscripts killed in a war they didn't want to be in. Leaders assassinated left, right, and center.

Liberal democracy survived the efforts of those on both the left and right to bring about revolution and reactionary counter-revolution in the 60s. It survived the riots and the bombs. It survived the hysteria.

The march to authoritarianism is one step at a time. And every one of those steps is motivated by fear. It's disheartening how shallow some people's dedication to liberalism is, and how ready they are to abandon it out of fear and hatred.

“Goebbels was in favor of free speech for views he liked. So was Stalin. If you’re really in favor of free speech, then you’re in favor of freedom of speech for precisely the views you despise. Otherwise, you’re not in favor of free speech.”

- Noam Chomsky

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 08-20-2017 at 03:32 PM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2017, 03:34 PM   #829
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Insufferable.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 04:10 PM   #830
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Within living memory, U.S. democracy survived a political climate that was, literally, 20 times more violent than the one we're in today. Cities burning. Race riots leaving dozens dead and thousands injured. Tens of thousands of conscripts killed in a war they didn't want to be in. Leaders assassinated left, right, and center.

Liberal democracy survived the efforts of those on both the left and right to bring about revolution and reactionary counter-revolution in the 60s. It survived the riots and the bombs. It survived the hysteria.

The march to authoritarianism is one step at a time. And every one of those steps is motivated by fear. It's disheartening how shallow some people's dedication to liberalism is, and how ready they are to abandon it out of fear and hatred.
It's a little weird citing all the things liberalism has survived and how much worse everything was before, while at the same time saying you're disheartened and fear-mongering just because antifa is beating up Nazis and people are like "meh, no big deal."

Rest easy, if liberalism survived the race riots and the communist witch hunt, I think it'll survive "punch a Nazi."
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2017, 04:14 PM   #831
Flames in 07
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
There's no creative bending, it's comparing two things that can't be compared because their incomparable. One poster I quoted said that a group who pepper sprays Nazis had only a slightly better history of violence than a group that committed mass genocide. That's insane.

And I doubt you'll find many who agree with your assertion that it's not important to get facts straight and discuss things in a true way. I get that we're in the post-truth era, but it seems like poor form to spread misinformation or, in your case, call any highlighting of that misinformation unimportant. Stopping the spread of misinformation is at least equally important to bad prognosticating about future events.

It's not that things can't lead to future events, it's that most people who use the slippery slope end up at events that are not logical or remotely likely results on the present day action they're trying to warn against. You can do it better without a clunky and outright stupid slippery slope. I mean, you actually said political violence of antifa might lead to acceptable religious violence. Have you never read a history book?
Huh?
Flames in 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 05:44 PM   #832
Mister Yamoto
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames in 07 View Post
Huh?
How did you decide what part to highlight?

-Comparing two things that can't be compared is incomparable
-Flames in 07 says it's not important to get facts straight
-We're in the post-truth era, and PepsiFree gets that
-It's not that things can't lead to future events

C'mon PepsiFree. You're usually out to lunch but you're better than that. Quit punking us. Or go all out with it.

Maybe the best writer on this sight. When you called the Pride parade a "message mess" I googled that to see where it came from. That post was #11 on google search (maybe higher now). 1 thru 10 were spelling mistakes.

I would like a little less nutbar, or five times more nutbar. Either way would be great. That post was too much to be taken seriously, but not enough to be hysterical.

Mister Yamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 06:02 PM   #833
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

nm

Last edited by PepsiFree; 08-20-2017 at 06:14 PM.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:19 PM   #834
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

@sacca: Tubas trolling Nazis with cartoon music is my new favorite thing. https://twitter.com/riotwomennn/stat...878849/video/1
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to calculoso For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2017, 08:09 PM   #835
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
Not sure why anyone would have an issue with antifa counter protesting white nationalists/supremacists/nazis?

Does it 'work'? Maybe it does and maybe it doesn't... however, if one feels passionately that they need to oppose fascism... not sure why anyone cares to be honest.

there was a HUGE rally in Boston yesterday...with minimal violence from either side...

For those arguing that antifa's modus operandi is to force their value system on others through violence, did antifa not bother showing up then?
According to Wikipedia they had Antifa movements in prewar Germany, Italy and Japan...so the answer to the question about whether they work is troubling.

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT

Last edited by Fozzie_DeBear; 08-20-2017 at 08:17 PM.
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 10:12 PM   #836
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm kind of surprised people don't know the relevance of the numbers 14 and 88 to White Nationalists and neo-Nazis.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 10:46 PM   #837
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post

So presumably you're fighting "resurgent fascism" with sarcastic internet posts about internet posts? You should join antifa if you're so gung ho, but make sure to bring your own mask and bike lock.

Apparently necessary disclaimer:
*Nazis are worse than antifa. Their ideology is disgusting and they deserve to be the fringe movement of losers they are. In no way do I endorse any Nazi views, the same way I don't endorse random violence at protests by any group.*
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2017, 10:58 PM   #838
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
I'm kind of surprised people don't know the relevance of the numbers 14 and 88 to White Nationalists and neo-Nazis.
That's kind of obscure info...unless you've been in jail or something.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2017, 11:16 PM   #839
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

Obscure enough that I have no idea what you are talking about, and am kind of afraid to google it if I'm being totally honest....
Iowa_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 11:32 PM   #840
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

14 refers to the "14 words" as discussed above (We must secure the existence of our people and a future for white children). 88 is a reference to Hitler, specifically to the phrase "Heil Hitler" as 'H' is the eighth letter of the alphabet.

White supremacists and Neo-Nazis frequently will get 14/88 tattoos or make other uses of the numbers in their symbology as a way of advertizing and recognizing each other without the use of more blatant symbols like swastikas or "SS" lightning bolts.

It's somewhat similar to 1%er motorcycle gangs making use of "1%" as a symbol to demonstrate to each other their being part of 'that life.'
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote