Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Best prospect from the following list?
Austin Carroll 2 0.82%
Zach Fischer 2 0.82%
Josh Healey 5 2.05%
D'Artagnon Joly 1 0.41%
Pavel Karnaukhov 1 0.41%
Linus Lindstrom 10 4.10%
Ryan Lomberg 4 1.64%
Mitchell Mattson 0 0%
Mason McDonald 2 0.82%
Adam Ollas-Mattsson 43 17.62%
Brett Pollock 1 0.41%
Daniel Prybil 30 12.30%
Rushan Rafikov 1 0.41%
Adam Ruzicka 13 5.33%
Nick Schneider 0 0%
Hunter Smith 2 0.82%
Fililp Sveniingsson 0 0%
Eetu Tuulola 26 10.66%
Tyler Wotherspoon 101 41.39%
Voters: 244. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-26-2017, 04:42 PM   #21
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
AOM didn't even earn a NHL contract. He's signed to an AHL one as he's regressed since his knee injury.

https://flamesnation.ca/2017/03/19/p...llas-mattsson/
That says more about the Flames being reluctant to hand out ELCs to every prospect than it does about his upside. This is the first I've heard of regression. Don't find Flamesnation articles to be worth reading so I haven't checked out your link
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:02 PM   #22
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
AOM didn't even earn a NHL contract. He's signed to an AHL one as he's regressed since his knee injury.

https://flamesnation.ca/2017/03/19/p...llas-mattsson/
That article uses NHLe point progression, out of all stats, to indicate that a defensive defenceman prospect has regressed.... this should tell you exactly how much thought the author put into it, which was very little.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:41 PM   #23
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
That article uses NHLe point progression, out of all stats, to indicate that a defensive defenceman prospect has regressed.... this should tell you exactly how much thought the author put into it, which was very little.
Okay, I'll give you that because of the league he plays in, but he still hasn't earned a NHL contract, so it drops his rating to below many others who have a contract.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:43 PM   #24
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

There was some thought that it was an Ahl deal to allow him to more easily return home due to family reasons
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:53 PM   #25
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Okay, I'll give you that because of the league he plays in, but he still hasn't earned a NHL contract, so it drops his rating to below many others who have a contract.
Neither of those points should have real weight in terms of prospect evaluation for AOM. He's a stay-at-home type of defenceman, so no matter what league he's in his point totals are going to be low. Look at Regehr's entire career, not even in junior was he scoring well for a defenceman and yet he was a top pairing guy for us. Look at Hjalmarsson's stats throughout the SEL/AHL and even while he was established on the Blackhawks. These type of defencemen are not putting up points with the type of style they play.

It also seems that the Flames organization is much more leery of handing out a contract spot period, so that shouldn't be a knock on any prospect not getting an NHL ELC. The writing was on the wall anyway when a busload of people didn't get qualified last offseason.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:56 PM   #26
Gaudreau is a Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

AOM is my pick this round
Gaudreau is a Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:00 PM   #27
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Karnaukhov until he's picked.

Big talented centres are always great to have. I expect a big year from him in Russia.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:02 PM   #28
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ruzicka, Tuulola, and Lindstrom are the three forwards with higher end potential left. The rest of everyone else are depth guys.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2017, 06:46 PM   #29
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
Neither of those points should have real weight in terms of prospect evaluation for AOM. He's a stay-at-home type of defenceman, so no matter what league he's in his point totals are going to be low. Look at Regehr's entire career, not even in junior was he scoring well for a defenceman and yet he was a top pairing guy for us. Look at Hjalmarsson's stats throughout the SEL/AHL and even while he was established on the Blackhawks. These type of defencemen are not putting up points with the type of style they play.

It also seems that the Flames organization is much more leery of handing out a contract spot period, so that shouldn't be a knock on any prospect not getting an NHL ELC. The writing was on the wall anyway when a busload of people didn't get qualified last offseason.
A fourth year in junior and Regehr may have been scoring 74 points like Gauthier did.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=19321
Old 07-26-2017, 06:57 PM   #30
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
That doesn't really make any sense to me
Old 07-26-2017, 07:21 PM   #31
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
Karnaukhov until he's picked.

Big talented centres are always great to have. I expect a big year from him in Russia.
I think you're going to be on a one man island here until round 35 or so.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:42 PM   #32
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
I think you're going to be on a one man island here until round 35 or so.
Yes. The fact that Hunter Smith has double the amount of votes as Karnaukhov is very telling.

Both he and Rafikov are never going to play in North America.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:00 PM   #33
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Karnaukhov has already played in North America

I'm not super optimistic about either of them coming to NA in the future but Karnaukhov has more hockey talent/likeliness to reach upside than any of the remaining picks at least IMO.

And you joke about Smith but he should be coming off the board very soon, at least in my opinion. He's got as strong a case as anyone after Lomberg and Wotherspoon are gone. Smith will absolutely play some NHL games. I don't know if he'll even be replacement level, but he will have a career.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:01 PM   #34
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Point production in junior does matter. Even for a defensive D man. Regehr did produce in junior. So did pretty much everyone who ever made the NHL. Because they are better then the people they are playing with.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
kehatch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kehatch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2017, 10:23 PM   #35
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
That doesn't really make any sense to me
He's on a show me contract to prove he isn't another Keegan Kanzig and I hope he does but it knocks his ranking down.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:40 PM   #36
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
He's on a show me contract to prove he isn't another Keegan Kanzig and I hope he does but it knocks his ranking down.
We're at #18. Pretty much everyone left is in the show me stage. He's already been knocked down arguably
Old 07-27-2017, 03:25 AM   #37
Mister Yamoto
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm gonna be wrong about Zach Fischer. You guys can be wrong about someone else. The guy wins his fights and scores goals. That counts for something.
Mister Yamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 05:44 AM   #38
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
Karnaukhov has already played in North America

I'm not super optimistic about either of them coming to NA in the future but Karnaukhov has more hockey talent/likeliness to reach upside than any of the remaining picks at least IMO.

And you joke about Smith but he should be coming off the board very soon, at least in my opinion. He's got as strong a case as anyone after Lomberg and Wotherspoon are gone. Smith will absolutely play some NHL games. I don't know if he'll even be replacement level, but he will have a career.
I adamantly disagree. He can't do anything at the NHL level except be big.

As for Karnaukhov, I'd say that Ruzicka and Lindstrom are both as talented as him, if not more. Tuulola would be in the same breath as him. Fact remains, he decided to defect back to Russia and he doesn't seem to be someone that the Flames talk about very much anymore. Perhaps he'll come back when he's 27 and has had lots of great years in the KHL, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Since he's essentially no longer under Flames control as the KHL has no transfer agreement with the NHL, he's no longer a prospect. He's a free agent that the Flames retain the rights on.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:01 AM   #39
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I adamantly disagree. He can't do anything at the NHL level except be big.

As for Karnaukhov, I'd say that Ruzicka and Lindstrom are both as talented as him, if not more. Tuulola would be in the same breath as him. Fact remains, he decided to defect back to Russia and he doesn't seem to be someone that the Flames talk about very much anymore. Perhaps he'll come back when he's 27 and has had lots of great years in the KHL, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Since he's essentially no longer under Flames control as the KHL has no transfer agreement with the NHL, he's no longer a prospect. He's a free agent that the Flames retain the rights on.
Just wondering if you have seen any of these guys play? Bigrangy is a regular contributor on the Heat forum...
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:09 AM   #40
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've seen enough of Smith over the years to know he sucks, and while I like Karnaukhov's game to some degree, he's still in the 2nd tier of Flames prospects for me. Fact remains that he took off for Russia and he's very unlikely to come back now.

I respect that he follows the Heat regularly, but you can still be wrong and be a regular follower of a team. Just look at some of the Flames fans around here.