Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-25-2017, 07:49 PM   #41
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

You are starting to see more and more people especially the coveted 30-50 year olds pick and move from the lower mainland to islands. People are selling their $1.8mil homes and buying sub $500k homes in Courtney, Comox etc. I have three friends that have done this in the past month along e. Lower mainland will struggle to find the prime working class in the near future. Not sure if there is anything the government can do in the short term.

Again we will see an election where people will vote to not have somebody in. Nobody wants Clarke but the same people probably don't want the NDP either. It's a messed up place at the moment.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:19 PM   #42
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
I laughed but also, mods condone gay jokes now?
Its not a gay joke. You said you had sex with a Green Party candidate. What does it matter if they're male or female?

If you don't want to talk about your sexual life, don't start it yourself.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kjesse For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 08:25 PM   #43
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
You are starting to see more and more people especially the coveted 30-50 year olds pick and move from the lower mainland to islands. People are selling their $1.8mil homes and buying sub $500k homes in Courtney, Comox etc. I have three friends that have done this in the past month along e. Lower mainland will struggle to find the prime working class in the near future. Not sure if there is anything the government can do in the short term.

Again we will see an election where people will vote to not have somebody in. Nobody wants Clarke but the same people probably don't want the NDP either. It's a messed up place at the moment.
Something else that's kind of flying under the radar right now is the aging provincial public service. I think the average age in the public service right now is around 46-47, which excludes management and executives. The Liberals have kind of squeezed all they can through attrition and cutbacks over the years that now there's a concern about the lack of succession planning, knowledge retention, and qualified public servants as the 55+ crowd continues to retire over the next 5-10 years.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:27 PM   #44
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
I laughed but also, mods condone gay jokes now?
First up, thanks for reporting a post you had an issue with. Oh wait, you didn't. You just expected us to read your mind and cater to you. Thanks for the potshot to the mod team, it goes over well.

Secondly, as Delgar mentioned, how do we know it's a gay joke? Maybe you like men?
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 08:45 PM   #45
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Something else that's kind of flying under the radar right now is the aging provincial public service. I think the average age in the public service right now is around 46-47, which excludes management and executives. The Liberals have kind of squeezed all they can through attrition and cutbacks over the years that now there's a concern about the lack of succession planning, knowledge retention, and qualified public servants as the 55+ crowd continues to retire over the next 5-10 years.
Seeing this at the city level in a big way. I have friends in HR recruitment for Burnaby and Port Moody and they both say this exact thing. Cities pay well and they are struggling to find good young people.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:02 PM   #46
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

the people in BC are so...quirky. We have this huge issue that is very impactful on the rest of the country regarding access to tidewater, and yet here we are, with BC people firmly with their hypocritical heads up their asses.

They've sort of fallen into Quebec level of ridiculousness. No that's cool BC, we'll all just suffer as a nation because you guys can't figure it out due to basically illogical ideology.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:13 PM   #47
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
the people in BC are so...quirky. We have this huge issue that is very impactful on the rest of the country regarding access to tidewater, and yet here we are, with BC people firmly with their hypocritical heads up their asses.

They've sort of fallen into Quebec level of ridiculousness. No that's cool BC, we'll all just suffer as a nation because you guys can't figure it out due to basically illogical ideology.
You do realize that a good chunk of people are alright with KM, right? Also, is it really that uncommon to put local interests ahead of national ones? I think it's pretty understandable why someone in Vancouver would be more concerned with an issue such as affordable living for themselves over lining the pockets of Albertans. It's not like most of the over the top pro-pipeline Albertans have been anything more than superficially concerned with the environmental risks facing B.C. or indigenous land rights.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:28 PM   #48
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

That came off more dickish than I meant it. The tl:dr version is that NIMBYism is hardly exclusive to BC.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:16 AM   #49
evman150
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My riding (Victoria) is unfortunate. A poor Green candidate and a very vanilla NDP incumbent (former leader Carole James). Liberals should be a non-factor, though the weak Green candidate may pump up the Liberal vote tally. James will win by 25+ points.

Andrew Weaver (Green leader) will win Oak Bay-Gordon Head easily. If the signs voted, it'd be a landslide (most residential streets have nothing but Green signs). I think it will be.

Saanich North and the Islands might be the most interesting riding in the province. The three candidates were separated by only a couple hundred votes last time. With a strong Green candidate, I see them taking their second seat here.

Cowichan Valley is another strong spot for the Greens. I would expect them to win the seat somewhat handily.

The rest of the island should go NDP, with the possible exception of Esquimalt-Metchosin (high profile Liberal Barb Desjardins) and maybe one of the up island seats (Green or Liberal).

Here is my prediction:

NDP: 43
Liberal: 41
Green: 3

Also, a small piece of data that hasn't been mentioned is that the Greens have been leading on Vancouver Island in the last two Mainstreet polls. And for what it's worth the Green candidates on the island tend to be more qualified than those on the mainland.
"For thousands of years humans were oppressed - as some of us still are - by the notion that the universe is a marionette whose strings are pulled by a god or gods, unseen and inscrutable." - Carl Sagan
Freedom consonant with responsibility.

evman150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 10:36 AM   #50
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have to say it's been pretty amusing watching the NDP supporters on my Facebook feed trying to convince the Green supporters to vote for them because they're the only hope of getting the Liberals. These same supporters were chastising the federal Liberals for trying to siphon NDP votes with the exact same tactics during the last federal election campaign.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:47 AM   #51
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by evman150 View Post
My riding (Victoria) is unfortunate. A poor Green candidate and a very vanilla NDP incumbent (former leader Carole James). Liberals should be a non-factor, though the weak Green candidate may pump up the Liberal vote tally. James will win by 25+ points.

Andrew Weaver (Green leader) will win Oak Bay-Gordon Head easily. If the signs voted, it'd be a landslide (most residential streets have nothing but Green signs). I think it will be.

Saanich North and the Islands might be the most interesting riding in the province. The three candidates were separated by only a couple hundred votes last time. With a strong Green candidate, I see them taking their second seat here.

Cowichan Valley is another strong spot for the Greens. I would expect them to win the seat somewhat handily.

The rest of the island should go NDP, with the possible exception of Esquimalt-Metchosin (high profile Liberal Barb Desjardins) and maybe one of the up island seats (Green or Liberal).

Here is my prediction:

NDP: 43
Liberal: 41
Green: 3

Also, a small piece of data that hasn't been mentioned is that the Greens have been leading on Vancouver Island in the last two Mainstreet polls. And for what it's worth the Green candidates on the island tend to be more qualified than those on the mainland.
That's an interesting prediction because it really gives a 3 seat party in this scenario a hugely powerful voice in the government.

If that does come to pass, I would expect that any kind of pipeline deal to tidewater will be delayed forever or outright killed in its infancy.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 10:52 AM   #52
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
That's an interesting prediction because it really gives a 3 seat party in this scenario a hugely powerful voice in the government.

If that does come to pass, I would expect that any kind of pipeline deal to tidewater will be delayed forever or outright killed in its infancy.
I see it more as those two parties will make a big show of things until they get put in their places by the feds or the SC. They'll take their losses on the pipeline and focus on scrapping Site C.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:50 PM   #53
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
You do realize that a good chunk of people are alright with KM, right? Also, is it really that uncommon to put local interests ahead of national ones? I think it's pretty understandable why someone in Vancouver would be more concerned with an issue such as affordable living for themselves over lining the pockets of Albertans. It's not like most of the over the top pro-pipeline Albertans have been anything more than superficially concerned with the environmental risks facing B.C. or indigenous land rights.
Not going to disagree that it will line the pockets of Albertans but it will also be a large positive economic contributor for Canada. I understand NIMBYism and agree, but I also think a lot of people in BC are pretty ignorant about just how much of their lifestyle comes from oil and gas and also what the true risks are of pipelines and egress off the west coast.

You're last two sentences are basically nonsense. You have no clue how seriously energy companies have been taking the environment or FN consultation. At the end of the day we basically have environmental extremism in BC taking things over-the-top yet still living a lifestyle post 1800's (hypocrisy). Those pipeline proponents have taken the environment extremely seriously and do you know how I know? They have entire departments dedicated to strict adherence to the most restrictive and highest standard regulatory regime for oil and gas development in the world. What more do people want? Unfortunately we cannot teleport raw materials to factory.

As for FN consultation, allegedly the Crown is supposed to be doing this activity. Unfortunately for years they've sat back and done nothing to help the situation leaving true consultation between energy groups and FN bands, who then exploit the system and extort oil and gas companies. They lay claim to traditional areas they really shouldn't be. How far back in history should somebody be allowed to lay claim? Why do we care? Hey I have ancestors in Scotland. I should go make land claims even though I've never been there and have no intention to so that local businesses have to pay me money for my agreement. Sorry who's being disingenuous in this scenario??

People in BC have taken environmentalism to a farcical extreme, and it's gaining popularity. I'm okay with the notion of respect for the environment but no, I'm sorry, if it meant people in Saskatchewan or Manitoba went homeless I don't think I would vote against (completely against...!!?) the construction of major economic projects.

Taking a step back, on a macro level, this regionalism is actually a very serious concern for Canada and Canadians. It's always been there, but we are at just another crossroads with some of these pipelines and making sure we make intelligent decisions. There was a news article awhile ago about how key members of Clark, Notley and Trudeau's cabinets all met in essentially a secret meeting in Ottawa to talk about how politically do we get these energy projects to fruition as it's painfully obvious they're needed, but yet also politically save face. Is there any guarantee the NDP or Greens in BC would maintain this stance? I'm thinking not and I'm thinking it's bad news for Canada as a whole.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2017, 09:56 PM   #54
evman150
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Anybody watch the debate?

I caught about half of it. I thought Weaver was great. Horgan was decent, and Clark was her usual smiley happy "jobs jobs jobs" self (which is not necessarily a bad thing, by the way).

One thing I found very interesting was the preponderance of 1-on-1 questions that were directed at Weaver by one of the other leaders. It seemed like they were really after him. I also inferred that they are taking him very seriously.

The Greens may do even better than I predicted. It's just hard to see where the ridings are going to come from though. Could grab a couple more on the island I guess, pushing their total to five (up from my prediction of three).
"For thousands of years humans were oppressed - as some of us still are - by the notion that the universe is a marionette whose strings are pulled by a god or gods, unseen and inscrutable." - Carl Sagan
Freedom consonant with responsibility.

evman150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:44 PM   #55
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Liberals will win again but it will be closer to a minority government than a majority which they currently hold.Green party will help split the vote so the NDP won't gain a majority.I could see Clark stepping down if this happens and another election called pretty close after this one.
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 10:51 AM   #56
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by evman150 View Post
Clark was her usual smiley happy "jobs jobs jobs" self (which is not necessarily a bad thing, by the way).
I lol'd.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2017, 08:12 AM   #57
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

That debate was infuriating, bad format

I don't think even liberal supporters in BC like Christy and it's reasons like her answer above, but it probably works because when it comes down to it the economy is usually the most important thing whem it comes to voters, and it's the one area the liberals can stress they have had some success

Horgan and the NDP the last few years have shown that they have no individual thought by their party line voting. I expect him to have pr blunder at some point in the next week as well.

I thought weaver really hurt them in the debate when Horgan tried to call him out for voting for 2 liberal budgets and he said that it's because he actually votes for what he thinks is best with give and take and not just career politician party politics.

The greens are trying to siphon off NDP voters big time it seems, which in the long run is probably the smart move. Get a few more seats and maybe in 10 years they could get enough support to at least be official opposition possibility

My expectation is a liberal minority, the NDP need a Nenshi type candidate who the party and undecideds can rally around, or else the liberals can just keep hitting on how bad the NDP were last time they were in power and also Christy can just keep saying Jobs Jobs Jobs and it's probably enough for most
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 02:33 PM   #58
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

As a member of the federal conservatives I will be voting NDP.

The bc liberals have done huge, legacy, damage to this province. It's unconscionable at this point.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 08:45 PM   #59
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post

build a bloody commuter train out to Hope, ultimately to Kelowna, like any European country would do, run it 24/7 so people can live in Abbotsford or Chilliwack and be into Vancouver in 30 minutes for work or a show.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 10:02 PM   #60
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Getting rid of the ALR lands in the lower mainland would go a long way to ease the housing crisis. It's a nice idea in theory but doesn't work in today's economy.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote