Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-02-2017, 08:55 PM   #1001
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Duchene is signed for two more seasons beyond this one and Landeskog for four. There's no urgency for Sakic to move either one by the deadline.

He might as well ask for the moon now hoping a team will believe the player will be a difference maker in the playoffs. If he can't move them before the deadline, teams will have more flexibility in the summer.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:56 PM   #1002
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Insider trading:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/insider-...uchene~1049043

high interest and high price for Duchene
no firm offers on table right now
asking price 3 or 4 high end pieces
if it is 3 pieces, the main pieces must be a establsihed young player 20-24 years old plus 1st round pick plus top prospect
if the player isn't established it must be 4 high end pieces including the player
Has Sakic truly gone mad, Duchene is a nice piece but he's 2 years away from UFA status and makes $6 million
Old 02-02-2017, 09:35 PM   #1003
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Duchene is signed for two more seasons beyond this one and Landeskog for four. There's no urgency for Sakic to move either one by the deadline.

He might as well ask for the moon now hoping a team will believe the player will be a difference maker in the playoffs. If he can't move them before the deadline, teams will have more flexibility in the summer.
It does not matter what flexibility a team has, nobody is paying that price for those players. This is Matt Duchene, not Sydney Crosby.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:53 PM   #1004
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sakic probably knows his job is on the line, as the team he's built is the worst in the NHL by a wide margin. He probably feels he has to ask for the moon, because if he doesn't knock his next trade or two out of the park he's looking for work.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:06 PM   #1005
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

That's really excessive for Duchene. Will be unrealistic. Maybe 2 top end chips and change.

But I get it. Only a couple of surefire sellers, and sky high demand for top 6 pieces.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:16 PM   #1006
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
It does not matter what flexibility a team has, nobody is paying that price for those players. This is Matt Duchene, not Sydney Crosby.
Matt Duchene is a hell of a player and remember this is their starting asking offer. No GM is going to start off his ask low even the terrible GM Joe Sakic.

Remember the reported ask Gio started off with? All GMs/agents have to ask for the moon first or they wouldn't be doing their job.
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2017, 06:59 AM   #1007
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
That's really excessive for Duchene. Will be unrealistic. Maybe 2 top end chips and change.

But I get it. Only a couple of surefire sellers, and sky high demand for top 6 pieces.
It's just like selling something on kijiji, you always ask more than what you think you're going to get. Bidding wars, makes sense.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:32 AM   #1008
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

This Duchene and Landeskog trade talk is kind of silly to begin with as those are the types of players they should be holding on to. I'm not sure how involved Kroenke is but he should examine cleaning house and bringing in a competent GM and head coach before blowing up a roster that took a lot of bad years and tanking to build. I think a legit head coach for starters should be given a chance to get more out of the roster as this team hasn't had a really good head coach in over a decade.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:05 AM   #1009
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
This Duchene and Landeskog trade talk is kind of silly to begin with as those are the types of players they should be holding on to. I'm not sure how involved Kroenke is but he should examine cleaning house and bringing in a competent GM and head coach before blowing up a roster that took a lot of bad years and tanking to build. I think a legit head coach for starters should be given a chance to get more out of the roster as this team hasn't had a really good head coach in over a decade.
Maybe they are toxic in the dressing room much like Hall was in Edmonton. They might be good/great players but they need to leave in order for the team to get a successful rebuild going.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:07 AM   #1010
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Friedman on 960:

Flames looking for a Right shot defenceman to play with Brodie, but everyone is looking for a right shot d-man

Might be looking for a goalie if Elliott or Johnson don't grab the reigns soon.

They have been trying to trade Wideman for a while now, but doesn't think they will trade Wideman until they figure out who will play with Brodie.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:12 AM   #1011
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think it's time for the Flames and the Senators to get together on a Lazar for Poirier deal. I saw it proposed earlier this year and I think it makes a ton of sense. Lazar gets to come back out west and Poirier is across from Gatineau where he had a ton of success with the Olympiques. Give both guys a chnage of scenery and see what happens.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:15 AM   #1012
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Stone out of Arizona would be a great fit with Brodie but he will likely come at a cost of 2nd+ prospect and likely walks this summer. Going to be tough for the flames to land a second pairing guy and keep them long term until the summer
Old 02-03-2017, 08:24 AM   #1013
Insufficient Funds
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I think Stone out of Arizona would be a great fit with Brodie but he will likely come at a cost of 2nd+ prospect and likely walks this summer. Going to be tough for the flames to land a second pairing guy and keep them long term until the summer
Stone intrigues me. Depends what he'll be looking for in free agency. If they could work out a deal with him before being dealt (unofficially obviously) then it could be worth it.

Arizona is out to lunch on their trades by all accounts though. They probably want Brodie, Fox and Backlund for him.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:25 AM   #1014
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Friedman on 960:

Flames looking for a Right shot defenceman to play with Brodie, but everyone is looking for a right shot d-man

Might be looking for a goalie if Elliott or Johnson don't grab the reigns soon.

They have been trying to trade Wideman for a while now, but doesn't think they will trade Wideman until they figure out who will play with Brodie.
The more I think about it, if they are looking for an Alzner type of stay at home guy, perhaps they should give Engelland a long look on the second pairing until a younger guy comes along. Right shot, stay at home and, IMO, could put up about the same points as Alzner (around 5 goals, 20 points) with the added minutes. The only issue is Engelland's shelf life at 34 (compared to 28 year old Alzer).

If a RH quality defenceman can't be obtained in-season, play Wideman bottom pairing for a while, trade him for a pick of some sort (which I still think he gets), give Andersson a shot on bottom pairing right side for the remainder of the year.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:29 AM   #1015
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insufficient Funds View Post

Arizona is out to lunch on their trades by all accounts though. They probably want Brodie, Fox and Backlund for him.
Chayka crunches the numbers all day long and he has all the answers, he'll tell you the same thing. It's all about that data, that data, that data.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:04 AM   #1016
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

I wonder what it'd take to get Andrej Sustr out of TB
Old 02-03-2017, 09:19 AM   #1017
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

This whole "we should trade for a top four defenseman this year" "but remember we would lose him to Vegas" thing that just keeps going back and forth reminds me of that simpsons where Skinner and Krabappel keep persuading the crowd on taxes vs the childrens future and the crowd keeps forgetting and being excited/annoyed as they go back and forth.

The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2017, 09:39 AM   #1018
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Given the asking price of him and Landeskog I don't see either one moving. Sakic's expectations are ridiculous.
The guy is 24 years old, captain of his team (i mention this because it didnt happen by mistake). 3 20+ goal seasons that plays with a real chip on his shoulder and knows how to use his size...

Is a 1st rounder, young top 4 dman and a good prospect too much? I dont think so.

Honestly, and I know it isnt popular opinion, but I do Brodie, Wotherspoon/Klimchuck/Shinkaruk and a 1st all day. Due to lack of organizational depth on RW, I would like to keep Porier but if he was the ask, then sure.

Last edited by IgiTang; 02-03-2017 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:43 AM   #1019
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone else still having trouble wrapping their head around the saying that Rene Bourque is in high demand?

lol wtf.

Like, what the hell is Bob Mackenzie smoking?? I think he's high on something.

Saying Rene Bourque (43GP, 9G+4A) is in 'high demand' and that John Mitchell (40GP, 1G) & Andreas Martinsen (42GP, 2G+2A) are generating significant interest is basically akin to saying that Ferland or Hathaway is in high demand AND that Stajan & Bouma are also generating significant trade interest.

I mean, get real.

Last edited by Karl; 02-03-2017 at 09:57 AM.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:51 AM   #1020
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
The guy is 24 years old, captain of his team (i mention this because it didnt happen by mistake). 3 20+ goal seasons that plays with a real chip on his shoulder and knows how to use his size...

Is a 1st rounder, young top 4 dman and a good prospect too much? I dont think so.

Honestly, and I know it isnt popular opinion, but I do Brodie, Wotherspoon/Klimchuck/Shinkaruk and a 1st all day. Due to lack of organizational depth on RW, I would like to keep Porier but if he was the ask, then sure.
But then if we trade Brodie we have no depth on defense and Landeskog is a LW. Not only does that not fill the gap at RW, it creates an even bigger gap on defense. Calgary and Colorado aren't good trade partners for Landeskog or Duchene in my opinion.
The Following User Says Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread