Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2017, 09:21 PM   #41
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Don't begrudge Booms for anything. Hartley used him as a meat shield, and he deserves every penny of that $6.6M.

That being said, park him in Stockton. It'll save 850k. It's only for a year. He's a useful figure in a minor league room, too. Both to remind kids not to get complacent, but also to not sell yourself short when you have the chance to get paid. The owners will waive you in a second, so might as well get as much of that paper as you can.
Such a great description, meat shield lol. It's true, he was a shot blocking machine the likes of which I have never seen. After his injury, he was never the same. I don't begrudge him either. He deserved to be paid for that season, not only did he take about a billion pucks to his body, he was an offensive force.

He'll likely never return to that form, but for one magical season, he was an absolute machine.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StrykerSteve For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 11:07 PM   #42
Yanda
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

could be an excellent shot blocking penalty killer. If they resigned Stajan then its possible that Bouma might stick around a few years
Yanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 12:23 AM   #43
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't understand the comments calling Stajan and Bouma useless players that don't belong in the NHL. Sure they a paid twice as much as they should be but they will still be contributing players on the Flames next season.

Stajan is an ideal 4th line centre. He is solid on face offs, responsible defensively, and provides leadership.

Bouma is an ideal 15th forward. If he only plays around 40 games he should be healthy enough to inject energy and throw his body around whenever called on.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:30 AM   #44
simonarea
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
I don't understand the comments calling Stajan and Bouma useless players that don't belong in the NHL. Sure they a paid twice as much as they should be but they will still be contributing players on the Flames next season.

Stajan is an ideal 4th line centre. He is solid on face offs, responsible defensively, and provides leadership.

Bouma is an ideal 15th forward. If he only plays around 40 games he should be healthy enough to inject energy and throw his body around whenever called on.
I like Stajan. However, I prefer feisty grinders and relentless forecheckers on the 4th
Stephane Yelle type. Donovan ish.
simonarea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 01:30 AM   #45
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really respect Bouma for his game. Absolute warrior out there. I will always appreciate how willing he was to sacrifice his body for the team. First class player for the team in that regard, and deserving of respect.

With that being said, this team just has too much depth and has changed systems. He simply isn't a good fit on the team any longer, even though this team requires more grit. I would say the Flames have more talented 4th line players coming up, and his salary exacerbates the problem.

I think he is in-tough to make the squad this upcoming season as it is. If the Flames add more talent to forward ranks, it just further pushes him out. His competition will be:

Hathaway
Freddie Hamilton
Lazar (depending on what moves the Flames make, Lazar may be starting on the 4th line)
Brouwer (don't like Brouwer, but he is a much better scorer)

If the Flames end up bringing back Chiasson, that will further push Bouma out.

On the farm, I don't think that Lomberg is NHL ready. Hopefully he continues to develop and makes a push, but I doubt it will be this season. However, you still have Shinkaruk, Pribyl, Poirier and of course Jankowski. They are all cheaper, and though aren't 4th line types, they will be pushing from the bottom. Some are now waiver eligible as well which makes it more difficult to send them down.

I really like Bouma, but he hasn't been healthy enough or productive enough in the last couple of seasons to be anywhere close to having his job solidified on the roster. At this point I am more curious as to where he ends up. Stockton? Or will Treliving be able to move him in some type of move this off-season that may include salary retention, or as part of a cap off-setting move?
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 02:04 AM   #46
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Said it last year, Hathaway was better and played with more drive/passion. Bouma may be beat up because of the type of game he's played his entire career. Thought he played with much less passion than years prior. Could be almost time to hang them up, he's done pretty well for himself.

Also I think he was a good mentor for Monahan as they lived together for a while if I remember correctly. Maybe not so good tho cuz he was part of that super bowl bender lol

Last edited by Beninho; 06-29-2017 at 02:12 AM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 07:08 AM   #47
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Bouma-Colborne-Comeau would be a formidable line for the Avs.
The "Flame out" line
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 07:20 AM   #48
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bouma seems like a good team guy, has squeezed as much as possible out of his god given talent, and he's made a good living the past three years. Unfortunately this will probably be the last one-way deal he gets in the NHL as his days as a regular in this league are nearing an end.

Edit: I suppose as long as the Avalanche are still being run by the same brain trust ex-Flames like Bouma always have a chance to collect a pay check.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 06-29-2017 at 07:24 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote