Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2017, 11:02 PM   #101
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
Bartkowski is absolutely not fine as the #6. On actual playing ability he wouldn't even make the Heat.

He was signed for the expansion and if he plays another game for the Flames someone needs to be fired.
Bartkwoski wasn't just signed for expansion though. He played every game of the regular season and playoffs once he was signed. He was signed to play even if he wasn't very good.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:17 PM   #102
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphusk View Post
Use the kids. It's time to give them a shot. You may be surprised with what they do when they don't have Wideman or Engelland as their partners.

Or, more likely we will see what is to be expected: young, inexperienced players overwhelmed by the pace and relentlessness of defending against the best players of the world when they will inevitably be thrust over their head onto the second pairing because of injuries. I have no doubt that at least two rookie defensemen will get multiple games in the lineup this season, but this realm has signalled that they are ready to compete now. They need veteran depth on defense to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 12:19 AM   #103
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Or, more likely we will see what is to be expected: young, inexperienced players overwhelmed by the pace and relentlessness of defending against the best players of the world when they will inevitably be thrust over their head onto the second pairing because of injuries. I have no doubt that at least two rookie defensemen will get multiple games in the lineup this season, but this realm has signalled that they are ready to compete now. They need veteran depth on defense to do it.
I strongly disagree.

Very few coaches have the ability to shelter like Gulutzan can this year. Kulak didn't make more mistakes than Bartkowski, Grossman or the like. We're taking 15 sheltered minutes a night. What better opportunity to bring a plate along is there? If not now, when?
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 01:35 AM   #104
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Dylan McIlrath
I thought of him as a possible Engelland replacement as well...

It scares me.

I really do believe that Treliving is going to add some muscle, but I don't believe it will come in the form of a terrible player. Not at the stage the Flames are in now.

I hope.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 02:16 AM   #105
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Dylan McIlrath
Is he an NHL'er at this point?
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 03:46 AM   #106
badradio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Bartkowski is the #6. He's fine as the #6. Guys that I'd consider to fill the number 5 slot who wouldn't cost a fortune would be Kyle Quincey, Brian Campbell, Beauchemin, or Ron Hainsey.

Beauchemin played nearly 22 minutes a night for the Avalanche this season and he was only -14. For that clown show. For a 3rd pairing, veteran D who's been through all the playoff wars and knows how to do a little more than 'off the glass and out'? On a one-year deal, sign me up.
I'm fine with Bartkowski as the #6.... in Stockton, but not the NHL. Chris Butler was a better Dman. Funny you mentioned "Off the glass and out," that is part of the problem when the team plays a possession game, something Bartkowski never got the memo on. Hoping one of the kids grab the #6 spot.
badradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 04:14 AM   #107
Krynn
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I wouldn't mind postma here. I always like him with the hitmen.i love stone at $3 Or $3.5 for 3 years with out any mo trade or movement but if all it took was half a million to get him to sign back
i would only do $4 million so long as it does not have any no trade or no movement in it any thing over that walk away
i agree with alot of you I think it might be time to give the kids the spots on the bottom pairings to see if they can hang long term.

Last edited by Krynn; 06-28-2017 at 04:19 AM.
Krynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:28 AM   #108
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
I strongly disagree.

Very few coaches have the ability to shelter like Gulutzan can this year. Kulak didn't make more mistakes than Bartkowski, Grossman or the like. We're taking 15 sheltered minutes a night. What better opportunity to bring a plate along is there? If not now, when?
That is not what I am saying. I agree, ONE of Kulak or Andersson should and will be in the lineup, but not BOTH. If someone in the top-four (*knocks on wood*) like Hamilton misses some games with an injury, then Gulutzan would be running something like this:

Giordano · Brodie
Kulak · Hamonic
Bartkowski · Andersson

No one is getting sheltered in this scenario, which is why the Flames will also add a vet for the the #5/6 spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 10:03 AM   #109
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

There may be a time when two of the Flames top 4 are injured at the same time. You wouldn't want that stretch to greatly hurt your playoff chances. Two rookies on the bottom pairing when healthy could mean 4 rookies in the top 6 after a couple injuries and that would be far from ideal.

I'm with Textcritic. You need a veteran guy on that 3rd pairing to have enough depth to sustain an injury or two. Young defencemen will get their chance in camp and when injuries strike.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:30 AM   #110
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think this is a problem that doesn't need to be finalized by the start of training camp. Test the kids and see how they look. When we consider whether we need another proven defender on the team, it's a question of whether it's easier to add that player later (either at the end of training camp or midway through the season, eg. a PTO signing, waiver wire pickup, or trade) or subtract a player if the kids prove him to be redundant (press box, AHL, buyout, etc).

The 'add' route gives you flexibility but limits options and limits certainty. The 'subtract' route gives you certainty but can handcuff your roster and possibly cap.
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 01:33 PM   #111
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by badradio View Post
I'm fine with Bartkowski as the #6.... in Stockton, but not the NHL. Chris Butler was a better Dman. Funny you mentioned "Off the glass and out," that is part of the problem when the team plays a possession game, something Bartkowski never got the memo on. Hoping one of the kids grab the #6 spot.
Fine, he's a #7 then. Bartkowski is under contract, and in NHL terms, he plays for peanuts. He's got 200+ NHL games under his belt, and almost 40 playoff games. He's youngish, he can skate, he battles and he's cheap. I don't ask much more from my 6/7 than that.

The smart thing to do is add a veteran to play on the bottom pair with a kid. Bart is the #7. Neither the vet UFA or Bart will cost much/anything to waive, and if/when a kid seizes the day, bully for us.
GreenLantern2814 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 01:53 PM   #112
Kybb79
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I like Mcllrath he sticks up for his team.
Kybb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 02:13 PM   #113
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

What about Trevor Daley from Pittsburgh. About the right age, right contract value, SC experience. Reported to be in discussion with Bruins...seems like he could be a good #5.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 02:20 PM   #114
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudfather View Post
What about Trevor Daley from Pittsburgh. About the right age, right contract value, SC experience. Reported to be in discussion with Bruins...seems like he could be a good #5.
He is a decent option for a #5 and isn't too old either. I just think he might get paid like a #4 and that might price him out of our range.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 02:24 PM   #115
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yeah I agree with the poster above in that we need 5 reliable vet d-men. I don't like the idea of having a rookie bottom pairing. I think in accumulatively over the year, there will probably be at least 1/3 of the season where someone in the top 4 is out due to minor or major ailments. We need that #5 guy that can be a reliable stop gap, otherwise you have 3 or even 4 very inexperienced guys playing difficult minutes if there's more than one injury in the top four.

I'd be willing to go with one of the young guys in the #6 spot though. I am sure Kulak or Andersson could steal that spot for the year, and should be given every opportunity to do that.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 02:27 PM   #116
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like Daley, and he can get nasty which is always a plus
Old 06-28-2017, 02:32 PM   #117
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Lets just convince Michael Stone to take less money and sign here as our #5
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote