Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-21-2017, 10:17 AM   #301
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Bennett hasn't shown he has the vision and the awareness to use his linemates effectively. It's worrying that he still tries to beat guys one-on-one with junior moves. Maybe he'll take a big step next season. I don't know.
This is my biggest worry with him as well.

He doesn't appear to be a great playmaker or very good at using his linemates well. Great tenacity, and puck skills, but think those other holes will prevent him from being a huge point producer in the NHL.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:51 AM   #302
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy27 View Post
Nothing... just one way of looking at his overall luck on the season. Saw it and was surprised by how low the number was. The 5 on 5 team shooting percentage was 7.55 (which would have been more relevant to post). For reference, Draisaitl's was 12.62%, Ehlers 10.56%, and Reinhart's was 5.13%.

So it looks like luck and linemates had something to do with it, as Reinhart's numbers are a bit lower too. However Reinhart made up for it on the powerplay.

I agree with the luck part. My issue - and I don't mean to pick on you because lots of people do it - is applying PDO to an individual player. Shooting percentage is already a perfectly good stat for measuring shooting percentage (I.e. Shooting luck). Mixing it with the goalie's save luck makes no sense for an individual player. If Bennett played in front of Cary Price and raised his PDO 20 points because of it does it make him a better shooter?

PDO is a very broad brush indicator of overall team luck, nothing more.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:12 PM   #303
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
So is Bennett the number 3 LW behind Gaudreau and Tkachuk?

Rather keep him at C than move him to the third line wing or off wing top 6

Bennett has developed a lot slower than I thought when he burst on the scene in the 2015 playoffs but I have liked his game when he plays with an edge.

I still see a future line of Tkachuk-Bennett-Lazar working out
Does Bennett have to play LW? I'd at least give him a look on the RW.
jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:25 PM   #304
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

There is an argument for opportunity and linemates being a reason his point production is not high, but the counter point to that is why doesn't he get an opportunity or line mates, and part of that reason is an inability to produce when given those opportunities and linemates.

He doesn't get PP time because he's not showing a ton of skill or possession numbers when he gets the chance.

Someone will have to let me know if i'm doing this right, but looking at his advanced stats for the powerplay, he looks like he's barely more productive than Chiasson and less productive than just about every other Flame for every 60 minutes of PP time.

Again, someone will have to let me know if I"m reading and using these statistics properly, but at a -1.9 CF% and 6 full-time forwards ahead of him, he doesn't really belong in a situation heavy on offensive skill. Combine that with the Flames having a large amount of their team skill on defence and there just aren't situations where he's going to beat out a better offensive player for minutes unless there is an injury in the top 6.

With the addition of Lazar, things could get even tough for Bennett in this regard.

If we got a Sean Coutourier instead of a Sean Monahan on our hands, I'm fine with that.

Maybe Cody Eakin as a career comparable?
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:06 PM   #305
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
Does Bennett have to play LW? I'd at least give him a look on the RW.
I was thinking the same thing. A line of Gaudreau-Monahan-Bennett would be fun if it worked. Keeps the 3M line together for a pretty decent the 1-2 punch.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 01:42 PM   #306
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't buy the linemates excuse. The kid did have his opportunities with better linemates, including 5-6 games as johnnys centre. He couldn't get it done. He doesn't utilize his linemates well, isn't a great playmaker, and has questionable IQ. Now with that said I still see a ton of potential. Hopefully he can put it together soon.
Monahan For Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:46 PM   #307
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was pretty down on him all season, but I really saw some great play in the last month/playoffs.
I think his points production will take a big leap into the 40-50 point range next season.
Mass_nerder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:47 PM   #308
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Bennett was my favourite player to watch this playoffs.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:48 PM   #309
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hopefully Sam takes the Mark Scheifele route, I am really getting worried about him. Get him to workout with Gary Roberts.

Last edited by Par; 04-21-2017 at 01:55 PM.
Par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:53 PM   #310
Johnny Rotten
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If I'm looking at Bennett, I focus on the last twenty games of the regular season and playoffs.

Also, he's bringing more than point potential to the table. He's more physical and tenacious than any other guy on that list in my opinion.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:01 PM   #311
jeffman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
This is my biggest worry with him as well.

He doesn't appear to be a great playmaker or very good at using his linemates well. Great tenacity, and puck skills, but think those other holes will prevent him from being a huge point producer in the NHL.
I always saw him as a jeff carter than a joe Thornton anyways....
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:08 PM   #312
Flamescuprun2018
Scoring Winger

Exp:

With the reasonable cap hit signings of late including Foo. I am wondering if room to re-sign Bennett for longer term while he is a bit undervalued.

4 or 5 year deal in the 3 to 4 million range?

Would avoid a rich contract scenario in 2 to 3 years if bridge deal?

BT seems to have cap room?
Flamescuprun2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:15 PM   #313
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd like to see what he can do on Jankowski's wing. This Flames team has done a great job at finding their pairs, and they work:
Gaudreau - Monahan
Backlund - Frolik

Bennett - Jankowski?

I see the two being a good fit for each other. Bennett came into the league with the billing as a skilled player with an edge. Jankowski was drafted early for his high IQ and size. Bennett on the wing takes a bit of pressure off and allows him to simplify the game -- but this all works only if Jankowski can play 3rd line NHL next year.

I don't know what the RW would be, but there's options. Brouwer, Foo, Ferland or Versteeg are all players I could see on that role and bringing something entirely different to that line.

Would be a nightmare of a team to have all 3 lines rolling with those foundations.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Split98 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 11:21 PM   #314
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
I agree with the luck part. My issue - and I don't mean to pick on you because lots of people do it - is applying PDO to an individual player. Shooting percentage is already a perfectly good stat for measuring shooting percentage (I.e. Shooting luck). Mixing it with the goalie's save luck makes no sense for an individual player. If Bennett played in front of Cary Price and raised his PDO 20 points because of it does it make him a better shooter?
Shooting percentage and save percentage do have some mutual causality though. If you are getting saves, teams start taking chances they won't take otherwise. If you are leading in a game it is easier to score off those chances than it is to score while trailing in games. On per-shift level, feeling that you will get a save will give a player like Bennett more comfort in trying to sauce a pass over that might have been a shot on goal otherwise. There is also the coach effect on deciding whether a line or pair is working. All the same mistakes but getting some saves can keep a line together until their shooting percentage normalizes, but no saves and it's to the bench and line blender.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote