Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2017, 05:41 PM   #1
bluck
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Is this team "tough" enough to compete next year?

With the loss of Engelland and as the roster currently sits, is this team tough enough to compete in the Western Conference? I know they will win games and will most likely secure a playoff spot. However we know in the playoffs you have to have that physical element that can not only muck it up when needed but also play and contribute.

I look the Ducks and Oilers with the likes of Lucic, Maroon, and Kassian and all three not only add that physical element but can also play.

When I asses the Flames roster, I only see Ferland who honestly didn't show a lot of what he his physically capable of last year. I see a big gap here. Do you think Brad Treliving works to focus and improve this before the season starts?
bluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:42 PM   #2
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Yes"
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 05:42 PM   #3
hockey.modern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ferland, Tkachuk, Hamonic, Brouwer?, Bennett?
Old 06-27-2017, 05:42 PM   #4
R2theJ
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Two words... Brian Boyle
R2theJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:43 PM   #5
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't consider the Penguins or the Predators particularly tough. More important to put a skilled team on the ice.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 05:44 PM   #6
bluck
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey.modern View Post
I think Brouwer showed nothing last year. He had his opportunities especially when we played the Kings and he did nothing. Tkachuk will only be a 19 years old, yes he brings that physical in your face element but he is still a kid. I do agree with Hamonic though, his style should help fill some of that gap; however, I still feel it needs to be addressed
Old 06-27-2017, 05:47 PM   #7
bluck
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
"Yes"
Is that a "yes" to if the Flames can compete or if Tre brings in someone? Either way, I hope you get the "Thanks" you were looking for
Old 06-27-2017, 05:47 PM   #8
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey are "tougher" than both cup finalists. I am more concerned about discipline and goal scoring.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 05:59 PM   #9
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Hey are "tougher" than both cup finalists. I am more concerned about discipline and goal scoring.
It's easy for this argument this year. The 4 prior Stanley cup finals were the exact opposite (except for Pittsburgh..... but no team in the league is as fast as the Penguins).

This team can easily make the playoffs, but I think it'll be tough to make it out of the western conference with who the Flames have to deal with. Ferland, Tkachuk & Hamonic help for sure. And Brouwer can, if actually brings some passion....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey.modern View Post
The potential is definitely there. Mostly just need actual mass on a few of those guys! Gio is no slouch either.
TheFlamesVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:07 PM   #10
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamesVan View Post
Mostly just need actual mass on a few of those guys!
Nah, I'd prefer 2017 Matt Tkachuk than 2017 Keith Tkachuk.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 07:04 PM   #11
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Regarding Pittsburgh, they just traded for the closest thing to a goon left in the league. Sure they won twice without him, but apparently they feel he fills a need.

I think the Flames have the same need. Not a goon, but someone like Engelland would be great. A guy who can play his shift and is willing to drop the gloves with anyone.

Times have changed, but it's still hockey.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:23 PM   #12
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamesVan View Post
It's easy for this argument this year. The 4 prior Stanley cup finals were the exact opposite (except for Pittsburgh..... but no team in the league is as fast as the Penguins).

This team can easily make the playoffs, but I think it'll be tough to make it out of the western conference with who the Flames have to deal with. Ferland, Tkachuk & Hamonic help for sure. And Brouwer can, if actually brings some passion....

The potential is definitely there. Mostly just need actual mass on a few of those guys! Gio is no slouch either.

Chicago was not a particularly tough team. They could take it, but we're always outhit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:27 PM   #13
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Having Smith as an excellent passer will help the D get hit a lot less, effectively mitigating guys like Lucic, Kassian, etc.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:42 PM   #14
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Top end puck possession teams always have fewer hits than lower end puck possession teams for the obvious reason.

They have the puck.

Check the team stats over the last few years.

It's all about competing in the tough areas.

Winning loose puck races and battles, as well as getting to the high danger scoring areas.

Lots of people would be right in arguing that Patrice Bergeron and players of his ilk are the toughest players in the league.

They keep possession alive by getting to loose pucks. They pay a heavy price by taking a lot of hits...but they maintain and drive puck possession.

The Flames need more of that in their lineup.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 07:46 PM   #15
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm over these lack of toughness questions. The Flames were not pushovers at all last season. The regular seasons sweep by Edmonton and playoff sweep by Anaheim had nothing to do with a lack of toughness and everything to do with goaltending. LA and San Jose were pretty big teams too and the Flames won the season series against both.

Also, they have replaced a 15 minute a night aging defencman in Engelland with a 22 minute a night young defencman in Hamonic. If anything the team is now tougher to play against.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:49 PM   #16
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Weren't the Flames one of the top PIM teams?
Weren't Pittsburgh and Nashville among the smallest and least physical teams?

I think that coaching styles have a lot to do with the necessity of team toughness.
The Flames have a large number of low-skilled checkers (Bouma, Chiasson, Stajan, Brouwer, Hathaway, etc). They don't need to sacrifice any skill or speed to gain toughness.

That said, it would be nice to have a player like Hanzal down the middle.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:51 PM   #17
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a good thing to lead in PIM's. Toughness and discipline are two different things. Hopefully we see an improvement in the Flames discipline this year.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:56 PM   #18
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
Top end puck possession teams always have fewer hits than lower end puck possession teams for the obvious reason.

They have the puck.

Winning loose puck races and battles, as well as getting to the high danger scoring areas.

Lots of people would be right in arguing that Patrice Bergeron and players of his ilk are the toughest players in the league.

They keep possession alive by getting to loose pucks. They pay a heavy price by taking a lot of hits...but they maintain and drive puck possession.

The Flames need more of that in their lineup.
Spot on.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:12 PM   #19
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post

They have the puck.

As a hater of the Pittsburgh Penguins I haven't miss a playoff game they played in the last 2 seasons. The other factor to why teams that hit seem to have lower possession numbers is the countless times you see a team playing that game where they need to "wear them out" lose puck possession on plays where they finished the hit rather than taking the loose puck

Today's NHL this issue is very overrated.

Winning board battles is what you need and I feel the Flames aren't elite at this but guys like Backlund, Frolik, Tkachuk are top end at winning these battles.

Last edited by Macho0978; 06-27-2017 at 08:13 PM. Reason: typo
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:15 PM   #20
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Jankowski has some size and spunk. I think he projects to be an "Every Successful Team Has A Guy Like That" type.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote