Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-16-2017, 04:13 PM   #1
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Who is our most underrated/overrated prospect?

And your dark horse to play 20+ games in the NHL this year?

Underrated I will say: Hathaway, I don't really understand why he isn't a mainstay on our roster yet. He seems to intimidate our opponents constantly and we always win with him. He seems like an upgrade on Bouma/Hamilton to me.

Overrated I will say: Shinkaruk but I hope I'm wrong. Just doesn't seem like his skills are going to translate.

Dark horse is Poirier coming back with renewed passion this year. Also maybe Mangiapane to impress and play 20 games.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:24 PM   #2
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Underated: Fox. There is a chance he could be the best prospect in the system. This upcoming season will be big to determine his potential.

Overrated: Hathaway. I don't see the love. 25 years old. Hasn't secured an NHL roster spot. No real history of scoring at any level.

What's his best case upside? Tanner Glass. And he gets a lot of praise. I don't get it.

Darkhorse: Shinkaruk
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oil Stain For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2017, 04:28 PM   #3
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Most underrated is Hunter Smith by far. Yes he's big, yes he likes to punch people. But this guy can play. He makes the right decisions and doesn't make dumbass mistakes. He will be, at worst, an average 4th liner in his prime.

Most overrated is Phillips for me. Yes he's ultra talented. Yes his production is very good. But he's nowhere near ready for pro hockey. I have high hopes for him but he is a long way from the AHL still.

My dark horse would be Dube.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:31 PM   #4
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
And your dark horse to play 20+ games in the NHL this year?

Underrated I will say: Hathaway, I don't really understand why he isn't a mainstay on our roster yet. He seems to intimidate our opponents constantly and we always win with him. He seems like an upgrade on Bouma/Hamilton to me.
Consistency.

Same reason Jooris couldn't stick: playing with your motor at 100 is exhausting physically and mentally. But if you're not playing at 100 you don't have the skill to be in the NHL...

Quote:
Dark horse is Poirier coming back with renewed passion this year.
Even just for his sake personally I hope he comes back and has a fantastic year.
sempuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 04:35 PM   #5
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Underrated: Rittich

Overrated: Shinkaruk

Dark horse: Mangiapane
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to savardandjokinen For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2017, 04:38 PM   #6
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Overrated: Mangiapane. I like him but so many people overemphasize small dangly players. The grind kinda got to him IMO.

Underrated: Hickey. Just sorta off the radar because he's in college.

Dark Horse to play: Well, there's maybe 4 players who have a real shot to get 20 games, but they are all either expected or it wouldn't be a shock (Janko, Andersson, one of the goalies) . But a real dark horse? Pribyl?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 04:40 PM   #7
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sempuki View Post
Consistency.

Same reason Jooris couldn't stick: playing with your motor at 100 is exhausting physically and mentally. But if you're not playing at 100 you don't have the skill to be in the NHL...

Even just for his sake personally I hope he comes back and has a fantastic year.
This really highlights what the problem is for guys like Jooris & Hathaway.

They have to play at 100% with a non-stop motor because they don't have the talent to survive in the NHL playing any other way at anything less than that.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Karl For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2017, 04:42 PM   #8
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Underrated - Falkovsky. Huge and a good shot from the point. If he puts it together, he could be a beast.

Overrated - All of the 2013 draft picks in the AHL. Not sure if any of them will amount to anything more than cup of coffee fringe NHLers unless they start stepping up immediately.

Dark Horse - Linus Lindstrom. I like his game quite a bit. Don't think he'll ever be a top prospect, but he has a good package of skills that he might develop into a quality player.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2017, 04:49 PM   #9
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Actually, regarding my previous post, you can say exactly this same thing for Bouma as well. Really, aside from throwing his body recklessly and courageously towards the puck to block shots, although that is admirable, the rest of him is terrible as an NHL player.

I mean, seriously, Bouma has no business being in the NHL at all anymore. Anybody who has him in their starting forward roster for this upcoming year really shouldn't.

Last edited by Karl; 06-16-2017 at 04:58 PM.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 05:02 PM   #10
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think nearly enough people value Brandon Hickey properly.
GreenLantern2814 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 05:05 PM   #11
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Overrated - Probably going to go with Brandon Hickey. I love, love his skating and he's physically strong, but I have a lot of reservations on his ability to play in a high-tempo game. Both at WJC and NCAA I have noticed he defaults to panicky glass-and-out play when pressured, and outside of a booming shot he hasn't shown any offensive creativity/skill. I think there's enough there to be a bottom pair defenseman, but I'm think he's more of a Darnell Nurse-type strong skating 3rd pair guy than a stud of any sort. Matt Bartkowski may even be a comparable, a guy who would do a lot better with a puck mover than as the puck-mover.

Underrated - Mark Jankowski. Yes, people might be ranking him higher than they did a year or two ago, but those same people are only doing so because they think he's an NHL-ready bottom sixer, rather than because he's a great prospect. It's natural to be skeptical of a 22 year old still playing in the AHL but for some reason people have put a 3rd line ceiling on him. When I watch him play I don't think "oh, he could be a good 3rd liner". I see a player who could be playing with Gaudreau and Monahan on the power play, who could be taking up Mikael Backlund's role at evens, and does all the little things, offensively and otherwise, to win games. I'll go even further - his ability to retrieve pucks with his reach, skating, strength, and coordination, and fire them on net on the PP could someday make him our most dangerous PP QB.

Dark Horse - David Rittich. I am a tad bit concerned he might sign in Europe based on his season-end interview, but if he's back, I see a polished, high-upside guy on the verge of stealing a spot.

Dark Horse 2 - Emile Poirier. I said back around November that despite his unimpressive numbers, Poirier was playing like a guy Vegas may want to take in the draft. His game fell off after that, and now we know why, but the ability is definitely there.

Dark Horse 3 - Eetu Tuulola. He has one skill that is very hard to come by in the NHL - being able to generate dangerous shots on goal. Really impressed me during preseason.

Dark Horse 4 - Andrew Mangiapane. Kid is a tank, he's not undersized by any means and he sneaks in to shoot hard and quickly.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 06-16-2017 at 05:15 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2017, 05:06 PM   #12
simonarea
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Underrated
Hickey. Can't wait to see his opponents getting hickey'd

Overrated
Gio. Oops. Poirier

Darkhorse
Fox
simonarea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 05:12 PM   #13
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Overrated: Fox. Great vision and offensive instincts, but you can only use those skills if you can get to the puck, and his lack of any kind of NHL speed, combined with not having a great shot or any defensive instincts make him a long shot to make it to the NHL.

Underrated: Kilmchuk. Nobody is talking about this kid, he had a great bounce back year, he speed, skill, he is tenacious on the puck.

Darkhorse: Kilmchuk, I think we could really use his speed and two way play on the big club.
JTech780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 05:40 PM   #14
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Kylington is insanely overrated, and Klimchuk is probably the most underrated.

And dark horse I'll say Shinkaruk.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 05:57 PM   #15
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Overrated, probably Kylington.

Underrated, maybe Rittich.

Darkhorse is Klimchuk. I thought he was a little overrated, but he had a good season last year.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 06-16-2017 at 06:03 PM.
FlamesAddiction is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesAddiction For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2017, 06:03 PM   #16
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Overrated: Fox/Phillips. I think a lot of fans underestimate how much of a disadvantage having a lack of size is. They point to the most exceptional player in the league and say, "See size doesn't matter." But it does. Yes insane skating and skill can make up for a lack of it but these small players have tons to prove. Not all fans overrate these small players but a few fans massively overrate them IMO. I think I saw Fox as one of our top 2 prospects according to one poster.

Overrated in general? I think Kylington is a bit overrated by many.

Underrated: Rittich. Jankowski. Poirier. Klimchuk. Hunter Smith. Mason McDonald. The latter two I think most fans have completely written off and I don't think that's fair.

Dark horse to play 20 games: Janko, Andersson, Kulak, Wotherspoon, Shinkaruk and Hathaway are the most likely to spend 20 games with the big team. I don't know if you consider any of them dark horses really. Maybe Klimchuk or Mangiapane?

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher; 06-16-2017 at 06:06 PM.
Flames Draft Watcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:12 PM   #17
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
I don't think nearly enough people value Brandon Hickey properly.
Hard to value a player who very well may leave next year...
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:14 PM   #18
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Overrated: Fox/Phillips. I think a lot of fans underestimate how much of a disadvantage having a lack of size is. They point to the most exceptional player in the league and say, "See size doesn't matter." But it does. Yes insane skating and skill can make up for a lack of it but these small players have tons to prove. Not all fans overrate these small players but a few fans massively overrate them IMO. I think I saw Fox as one of our top 2 prospects according to one poster.

Overrated in general? I think Kylington is a bit overrated by many.

Underrated: Rittich. Jankowski. Poirier. Klimchuk. Hunter Smith. Mason McDonald. The latter two I think most fans have completely written off and I don't think that's fair.

Dark horse to play 20 games: Janko, Andersson, Kulak, Wotherspoon, Shinkaruk and Hathaway are the most likely to spend 20 games with the big team. I don't know if you consider any of them dark horses really. Maybe Klimchuk or Mangiapane?

Still don't get the hype behind Kulak, has done nothing to inspire optimism at the NHL level.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:24 PM   #19
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Overrated
Our hockey ops.
We have never strayed away from favoring veterans over our developing players ( Monahan and Tkachuk are exceptions) and we need to be allot better a some of the vets we pick up.
Yeah Versteeg worked and I am still pleasantly surprised but Brouwer was a dud.
The fact he played exactly where Ferlund would have done better in the playoffs still irks me.

UNDERRATED
Chad Johnson, David Rittich and Tyler Parsons.

These 3 should be given specific instructions to compete for the starters job and this search for a number 1 should stop. I think we have the guy already and don't know it.

We had a guy who was a backup who turned into a number 1 because someone had faith in his ability and he was and always be the best goalie to ever play for the flames.....you know what's his face......

Dark Horses
Kylington, Hickey, Hathaway, Lomberg, Tuulola, Mangiapane, Rittich,

I hope these guys all push really hard and prove they are ready.

Within our system are answers if we just try.

Going out and acquiring vets year after year that don't pan out is getting really old. That and reclamation projects.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:26 PM   #20
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya I don't think klimchik is a dark horse to play 20 games. The whole season? Definitely but 20 games is a cup of coffee.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote