Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2017, 08:17 PM   #281
Rollin22x
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Maybe he got a lot of generous roughing calls then. I remember him fighting in his rookie season. Cherry made a big deal of it.

I remember Fleury absolutely sucker punch someone as they skated by. Actual fights maybe not but definitely had his own code sometimes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rollin22x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:39 PM   #282
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin22x View Post
I remember Fleury absolutely sucker punch someone as they skated by. Actual fights maybe not but definitely had his own code sometimes.

I know I might not be of the most popular opinion but I miss the roughness of the old NHL, not necessarily things like sucker punches in the quoted post though. Just the overall nastiness that used to be in the game. I appreciate the fancy plays and the scoring, but it was so much more mystical when it was about a player finessing their way through a land mine of elbows and other kinds of clobbering. I'd risk losing a leg for a couple million USD a year for as long as I last, let alone only worrying about breaking one or whatever other issues NHLers face. I'd rather watch an extremely chippy game then a high scoring one.
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Patek23 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2017, 08:43 PM   #283
Rollin22x
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Homer View Post
I know I might not be of the most popular opinion but I miss the roughness of the old NHL, not necessarily things like sucker punches in the quoted post though. Just the overall nastiness that used to be in the game. I appreciate the fancy plays and the scoring, but it was so much more mystical when it was about a player finessing their way through a land mine of elbows and other kinds of clobbering. I'd risk losing a leg for a couple million USD a year for as long as I last, let alone only worrying about breaking one or whatever other issues NHLers face. I'd rather watch an extremely chippy game then a high scoring one.

Maybe I'm getting soft or don't remember if it was that rough but some of the hits these days seem much more brutal than the past.
I watched the 20th anniversary brawl between Colorado and Detroit and didn't think it was bad.

Rollin22x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:30 PM   #284
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Like brain damage leading to depression and suicide? Those other issues.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 12:12 AM   #285
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Like the things that Soldiers risk and more for 1/100th the pay and zero of the accolades?

The fact is they get paid a handsome wage for the risks involved. No one likes to see what your talking about happen. But suicide and depression are issues in most workplaces. I'd wager without knowing the stats that some of the least physical jobs have the highest suicide rates just from stress.

Edit- did some googling around this seems old however as at the time of when it was likely published hockey was much rougher then it is now, it shows professional athletes have a 8 percent suicide rate per deaths in while the average population has an 11 percent suicide rate per death for the same age bracket. Also shows Hockey players have the lowest mortality rate of any of the major sport professions

http://www.contingencies.org/julaug01/athletes.pdf

Last edited by Patek23; 03-29-2017 at 12:24 AM.
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:21 AM   #286
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

So basically what I got from his comments is that there is a very high chance that Tkachuk will be making friends tomorrow? Love this kid, his arrogance is refreshing
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:32 AM   #287
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I cannot thank this enough
Old 03-29-2017, 12:35 AM   #288
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hey Debbie, that's the way it was. Lots of people have issues without hockey.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:37 AM   #289
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not saying you're completely wrong but my favorite age of NHL hockey was the 70's, no helmets, no mouthguards just fights,brawls,stickwork and elbows. blood was scraped from the ice fairly regularly back then but for some reason and I could be wrong but I can't think of one player who committed suicide because of head trauma playing hockey.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:25 AM   #290
Sutter_in_law
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Like the things that Soldiers risk and more for 1/100th the pay and zero of the accolades?

The fact is they get paid a handsome wage for the risks involved. No one likes to see what your talking about happen. But suicide and depression are issues in most workplaces. I'd wager without knowing the stats that some of the least physical jobs have the highest suicide rates just from stress.

Edit- did some googling around this seems old however as at the time of when it was likely published hockey was much rougher then it is now, it shows professional athletes have a 8 percent suicide rate per deaths in while the average population has an 11 percent suicide rate per death for the same age bracket. Also shows Hockey players have the lowest mortality rate of any of the major sport professions

http://www.contingencies.org/julaug01/athletes.pdf
I don't know what world you're living in, but to say they get zero accolades is ridiculous and wrong. I believe in many cases soldiers are very underappreciated but to say that they get no accolades is flat out not true.

This, by the way, was just a massive deflection by you anyways. Someone pointed out a legitimate concern about a massive issue (brain damage/suicide) that you seemingly completely missed, or discounted as unimportant and you basically say it doesn't matter because there are jobs that are more dangerous that pay less and are less glamorous.

by the way - I loved the rough/tough game of the 80's too.
Sutter_in_law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:39 AM   #291
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Not saying you're completely wrong but my favorite age of NHL hockey was the 70's, no helmets, no mouthguards just fights,brawls,stickwork and elbows. blood was scraped from the ice fairly regularly back then but for some reason and I could be wrong but I can't think of one player who committed suicide because of head trauma playing hockey.
I can only think of 4 off hand and of those suicides it sounded like Boogaard was an accidental overdose, Belak's sounded like it was an accident too, Rypien and Montador were the only that sounded like they were intended suicides. Also it sounds like Belak and Rypien also suffered from mental illness for their entire lives.

I've askied this question before and no one could give me an answer. How do we know enforcers mental illness is caused by fighting and not them doing self harm because they were already mentally ill?
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:56 PM   #292
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
I've askied this question before and no one could give me an answer. How do we know enforcers mental illness is caused by fighting and not them doing self harm because they were already mentally ill?
The same way we knew, back in the 80s, that teen suicide was caused by listening to heavy metal lyrics. The same way we know that autism is caused by vaccinations.

You know: good old fashioned BS.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:42 PM   #293
morgin
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
People gave you answers. You just ignored them because the answers didn't fit your narrative.

Last edited by morgin; 03-29-2017 at 08:56 PM.
morgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 01:43 AM   #294
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgin View Post
People gave you answers. You just ignored them because the answers didn't fit your narrative.
‘Post hoc ergo propter hoc’ is not an answer, but a fallacy. At present we have four anecdotes and no proper data. But that's enough for some people to declare the case closed, the hypothesis proved, and demand whatever measures make them feel good, whether they will have any effect or not.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:56 AM   #295
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgin View Post
No, there were no good answers. There is no doubt that concussions can contribute to depression, but they don't always. Retirement can also lead to depression, in fact studies show after retiring people are 40% more likely to suffer from depression. Did you know dentists have a higher rate of depression than any other profession? The reality is many things can contribute to depression, so using a small cluster of people as evidence of something is simply moronic.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 03:34 AM   #296
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutter_in_law View Post
I don't know what world you're living in, but to say they get zero accolades is ridiculous and wrong. I believe in many cases soldiers are very underappreciated but to say that they get no accolades is flat out not true.

This, by the way, was just a massive deflection by you anyways. Someone pointed out a legitimate concern about a massive issue (brain damage/suicide) that you seemingly completely missed, or discounted as unimportant and you basically say it doesn't matter because there are jobs that are more dangerous that pay less and are less glamorous.

by the way - I loved the rough/tough game of the 80's too.
I agree with you on they do get accolades.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...oned/27144571/

http://www.adweek.com/brand-marketin...ibutes-167939/

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/nat...s/201511060140

https://www.google.com/amp/www.sbnat...report-million

Juat a very few examples. No accolades indeed. Just millions and millions of dollars worth to ensure they indeed do get those accolades

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 03-30-2017 at 03:38 AM.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 03:43 AM   #297
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin22x View Post

Speaking of sucker punches it looked like Forbort was going to throw one at Tkachuk. Ot was the play where he seemed to get dumped at the side of LAS' net . Originally it looked like Forbort tripped him but if you replay ot Forbort raised his hand and Tkachuk barely saw it at the last minute and ducked which caused him to fall..

Maybe AC can post a clip of it?
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 04:49 AM   #298
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
The same way we knew, back in the 80s, that teen suicide was caused by listening to heavy metal lyrics. The same way we know that autism is caused by vaccinations.

You know: good old fashioned BS.
You are suggesting Chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) is 'good old fashioned BS'? That there is no link between repeated head trauma and long term brain health?
Accepting those risks for glory, or to make a pile of money, is not connected.
I won't derail further.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2017, 07:54 AM   #299
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Doughty too afraid to fight a 19 year old rookie? Handle your own business you loser.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to red sky For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2017, 02:19 PM   #300
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

You know what and this is just my perspective..... that scrum with the media after the game last night kind of pisses me off.

The fan 960 aired it.....You'd think Matthew was being blamed for the loss last night the way the questions were being directed in the condescending way they were asked.

Are our media guys really this daft????

This is the way he plays and at least he didn't need anyone to come to his and and fight his friggin battles.

Anyway, rubbed me the wrong way. I'm a bigger fan of Tkachuk today then I was yesterday.....In fact he made the Kings look like clowns the way they were running around trying for redemption for Poor Drew.

Good God you guys and then the audio of Iginla and Kopitar .....Wow....You'd think they were talking about Matt Cooke or Sean Avery.

I'm so glad this kids not a wimp, is a Flame and Future captain material.
What a breathe of fresh air....We could be playing against him.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote