Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-12-2014, 11:15 AM   #41
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Bill just posted this on his Facebook page.... and the comments are generally quite negative. I hope these people are coming from shares rather than people that have liked Bill's page.

*MUST STOP JUDGING THE WORTH OF HUMANITY BASED ON INTERNET COMMENTS*
Devils'Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 12:41 PM   #42
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't take any of this seriously as long as it continues to get colder in Calgary. You have two herds of sheep here and I'm just in the middle as what's going to happen is going to happen and since weather is never stagnant the whole climate change is just low on my "give a crap" meter.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 05-12-2014 at 12:43 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 01:04 PM   #43
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

What evidence is there that Calgary is getting colder? I would believe we are getting more snow, but that is something that is predicted in global warming models (warmer air holds more moisture?).

This link talks about average weather conditions in Calgary from 1999 to 2012:

http://weatherspark.com/averages/282...Alberta-Canada

Looking for historical data . . .

http://calgary.weatherstats.ca/metrics/temperature.html

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/new...changed/11016/

It turns out -- and any Calgarian can attest to this -- winter is by far the most varying season, year-to-year. In the past, two consecutive winters can be as much as 10°C different in overall temperature.

However, within the highly-varying temperatures of a Calgarian winter, there does appear to be a warming pattern. Winters just aren’t as cold as they used to be. Before 1980, Calgary used to have three winters per decade of -10°C on average or lower. Since 1980, the average is less than 1 per decade.

Last edited by troutman; 05-12-2014 at 01:08 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 01:04 PM   #44
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

These are my thoughts, and seem fair:

Our pollution may or may not be causing climate change, but our pollution and consumption certainly is not good. If we care about the future of our planet, and our children, we need to make sure we are making improvements to the point of benefiting the planet.

Anything else is basically a distraction to the trashing we are giving this planet. Even if what we are doing does not change climate, is it not still decimating the oceans, air quality and pretty much every species?

As a species, we certainly get distracted easily.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nage Waza For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2014, 01:14 PM   #45
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I can't take any of this seriously as long as it continues to get colder in Calgary.
Calgary = Canada and the world, gotcha.

If one NHL team starts losing money, do you refuse to take the NHL claims of increasing revenue seriously as well? Same logic (or lack thereof).

Quote:
You have two herds of sheep here and I'm just in the middle as what's going to happen is going to happen and since weather is never stagnant the whole climate change is just low on my "give a crap" meter.
But you still feel it necessary to let everyone else know that you don't give a crap, insult everyone, and take a (fallacious) position on it despite not giving a crap.

If you really didn't give a crap you wouldn't even be reading the thread, let alone posting in it.

BTW claiming the middle is more reasonable just because it's in the middle is also a fallacy. As is equating weather and climate.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2014, 01:18 PM   #46
NuclearPizzaMan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I can't take any of this seriously as long as it continues to get colder in Calgary. You have two herds of sheep here and I'm just in the middle as what's going to happen is going to happen and since weather is never stagnant the whole climate change is just low on my "give a crap" meter.
Everybody on both sides are just sheep! Only I am the arbiter of truth! I just don't care! *gives anecdotal evidence*
NuclearPizzaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NuclearPizzaMan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2014, 01:25 PM   #47
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I think this is one of the dumbest things you've ever posted.

I'm having a hard time wrapping myself around what your motivation must have been, it's that absurd.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2014, 01:31 PM   #48
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah! Styrofoam foreva! CFC's are my homeboys! Fudge that garbage can over there, this stupid Earth is a giant garbage can anyways! I'll be BBQ'ing polar bear meat all day everyday yo!
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 01:33 PM   #49
Knut

Exp:

Anyone here have that Solar setup from Enmax ??
Monthly costs ?
Reduction of power bill ?
Is it basically 15 years before you recoup your invested costs ?

A Neighbour just put some up and i was curious.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 02:06 PM   #50
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Who are these two herds of sheep?

Do you consider "people that believe that the world is round" and "people that believe the world is flat" are two herds of sheep? How about "people that belive in evolution" and "people that believe in intelligent design" are two herds of sheep?

In any case we have "those that believe what the vast majority of scientists say" vs "those that don't believe what science says".

How do YOU define "sheep"?

And what do you mean "whatever is gonna happen is gonna happen"? "I don't have anything saved for my retirement and things will get really bad if I don't have any savings when I'm in my 70s. But I'm not going to do anything about it because whatever is gonna happen is gonna happen."
Devils'Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 02:46 PM   #51
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It's cold where I live right now. Therefore anyone who believes in global warming is a sheep.

Brain crushing stupidity
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tinordi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2014, 02:51 PM   #52
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Yeah! Styrofoam foreva! CFC's are my homeboys! Fudge that garbage can over there, this stupid Earth is a giant garbage can anyways! I'll be BBQ'ing polar bear meat all day everyday yo!
NSFW!
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 03:07 PM   #53
Plett25
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I can't take any of this seriously as long as it continues to get colder in Calgary.
My take on this is that EE does not believe in climate change from August to January, but from February to July, EE agrees with Bill Nye.
Plett25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 03:30 PM   #54
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

My biggest issue with the climate change discussion is that when somebody comes in like EE did, the responses are more of the "are you stupid" variety; as opposed to what Photon did to try and prove the point.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 03:32 PM   #55
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
My biggest issue with the climate change discussion is that when somebody comes in like EE did, the responses are more of the "are you stupid" variety; as opposed to what Photon did to try and prove the point.
Come on, Ken, maybe 10 years ago.

His evidence was that because Calgary is colder in the winter than it used to be, global climate change is not happening.

Not only is he wrong on a basic level of logic, his anecdotal evidence isn't even correct as shown by troutman in the next post.

You can't feign ignorance anymore on the topic. You're either ignorant of it or you're not.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2014, 03:51 PM   #56
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Calgary = Canada and the world, gotcha.

If one NHL team starts losing money, do you refuse to take the NHL claims of increasing revenue seriously as well? Same logic (or lack thereof).

But you still feel it necessary to let everyone else know that you don't give a crap, insult everyone, and take a (fallacious) position on it despite not giving a crap.

If you really didn't give a crap you wouldn't even be reading the thread, let alone posting in it.

BTW claiming the middle is more reasonable just because it's in the middle is also a fallacy. As is equating weather and climate.
Honestly I posted because really it was the same bunch of pro-climate change brigade here posting that always does and I just don't get what you guys think you will accomplish preaching the same stuff over and over. I personally don't have any ill will to anyone whether they believe in it or not so if you find my opinion insulting I'm sorry. I've heard the politics over the years and honestly I just don't care. That doesn't mean I'm removing the catalytic converters in my cars or burning plastic and Styrofoam in my yard because I'm not. We recycle as much or more than anyone on my street and all our vehicles are 4-cylinder so it's not like I don't care about the earth rather than I just don't care for the politics. Much like anything involving politics I feel my opinion really doesn't matter and I'm not going to waste the precious time I have on this earth worrying about something that I can't control. You may call it defeatist attitude but I call it "moving on".

It's funny but Godzilla has it right with the phrase; "The arrogance of man is thinking nature is under our control". I've always been in this camp and think that the climate change will happen regardless of what we do or don't do so I'm not going to devote more than what I'm already doing here.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 05-12-2014 at 03:54 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:26 PM   #57
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Solar Roads Could Power An Entire Country

http://www.iflscience.com/technology...entire-country

A small US-based company called Solar Roadways are developing a solar road surface that, if installed nationwide, has the potential to produce more renewable energy than the entire country uses. In fact, they’ve actually already developed a working prototype that’s been installed in a parking lot, and they’re now crowdsourcing funds in order to tweak the design and move towards production.

The team have done some calculations; there’s approximately 31,000 square miles of usable surfaces in the US, and if all of these were covered the Solar Roadways system could produce over three times the electricity that is used by the entire country. That’s an incredible potential that could lead to a huge decrease in dependence on foreign oil. It would also cut CO2 emissions by a considerable amount.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:41 PM   #58
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Honestly I posted because really it was the same bunch of pro-climate change brigade here posting that always does
Well duh, people post in topics that interest them, and they're going to post the opinions they hold. That's the point of a discussion forum.

Why aren't you in the main forum insulting everyone from the same pro-Flames brigade?

Quote:
and I just don't get what you guys think you will accomplish preaching the same stuff over and over.
Why does anyone have to hope to accomplish anything? Sometimes people just want to talk about things beyond their immediate control. Sometimes it's annoying drivers, sometimes it's how the mobile phone market is changing, sometimes it's how people will ignore science and hold a specific opinion.

You chose to come into the thread and read it, and I don't know if I'd call it preaching.. is it preaching when one keeps saying all life evolved from a common ancestor, or that energy is conserved?

Quote:
I personally don't have any ill will to anyone whether they believe in it or not so if you find my opinion insulting I'm sorry.
Your opinion isn't insulting, your insulting people is insulting.

Quote:
I've heard the politics over the years and honestly I just don't care.
Um ok, bringing politics into it now doesn't change what you posted before.

Quote:
That doesn't mean I'm removing the catalytic converters in my cars or burning plastic and Styrofoam in my yard because I'm not. We recycle as much or more than anyone on my street and all our vehicles are 4-cylinder so it's not like I don't care about the earth rather than I just don't care for the politics.
So, don't care for the politics then. Your post had nothing to do with politics.

Quote:
Much like anything involving politics I feel my opinion really doesn't matter and I'm not going to waste the precious time I have on this earth worrying about something that I can't control.
Then please follow through on that, why take precious bother posting in climate change threads to express your disinterest?

Quote:
You may call it defeatist attitude but I call it "moving on".
It doesn't even have to be either. Like everything in life there's too much going on in the world to be able to be engaged in everything. Some people are interested in something and will be engaged in it. Others will be engaged with something else.

So decide not to be engaged in the subject, there's nothing wrong with that IMO. The science is complex an there's no need for every person to be familiar with it.

But don't insult people that are familiar with the science, and don't pretend that your opinions are valid when they're based on incorrect assumptions and use logical fallacies. The correct response in a subject where one doesn't want to be engaged and when one doesn't have the relevant facts is "I don't have enough information to form a valid opinion."

Quote:
It's funny but Godzilla has it right with the phrase; "The arrogance of man is thinking nature is under our control". I've always been in this camp and think that the climate change will happen regardless of what we do or don't do so I'm not going to devote more than what I'm already doing here.
You've made this logical fallacy before and I'm sure you will do it again. Just because humans die of natural causes does not mean all human deaths are caused by natural causes.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2014, 04:41 PM   #59
photon

Exp:

That, ken0042, I think is why the responses go the way they do. When someone shows an honest willingness to engage and consider things then (most) people will be reasonable. When someone doesn't want to be engaged, that's fine too. But when someone isn't willing to even examine their own statements to correct them over a long period of time, or when they're just driving by and tossing an insult at everyone, they deserve what they get.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2014, 06:48 PM   #60
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesla View Post
Anyone here have that Solar setup from Enmax ??
Monthly costs ?
Reduction of power bill ?
Is it basically 15 years before you recoup your invested costs ?

A Neighbour just put some up and i was curious.
Despite some odd posts in this thread, you can purchase panels anywhere you want and attach to the Calgary grid, as long as a specified process is followed. Generated energy does not earn as much in Alberta (compared to some other places) because you get paid for generation exactly what you are paying for energy. Other provinces pay a higher rate for generation, some significantly higher. The rate is set by the province, so you are not better off elsewhere in Alberta. With that said, you can still do alright.

Enmax does allow you to pay off the panels over a very long period, and I don't think there is much in the way of interest. You can shop around for cheaper panels or more expensive panels, but I think Enmax has the best of all the options.

What you generate and sell is dependent on what is on your roof, sun, roof and how much energy you use yourself.

I always tell friends that are interested to reduce their overall use before they even consider panels. A well 'designed' home can use significantly less energy when not at home - once they add panels they can see several hundred KWh in generation produced monthly, on top of their daytime use.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nage Waza For This Useful Post: