Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 11:32 PM   #10201
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoFlamesFan View Post
http://buffalonews.com/2018/04/14/in...-ryan-oreilly/
ROR has been talked about as a solution for the flames. I hope this pours some water on that idea.
I’d jump at O’Reilly for the right price. Very useful player
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2018, 11:36 PM   #10202
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Me too. No one has said solution. They have all said a really good secondary player. He checks a lot of boxes.

As for his comments and this article, it seem Francis like..
Old 04-17-2018, 11:37 PM   #10203
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
He is getting his first crack at the playoffs, and is in a contract year. Of course he is motivated every night. And when he is motivated, he is a good player.

Next year, he'll have a multi-year deal in his pocket for $6 or $7M per. And he will settle back into the part-time player that he has always been.

And whoever signs him to that contract will rue the day.
I think you're selling him short however I think he really brings nothing to this team we don't already have and there isn't as much room for redundancy in the NHL as we'd like to think. Tkachuk is already scoring those net front PP goals. Ferland is scoring those snipe goals on the top line. He's a left shot LW. He's not the most disciplined player historically. He found a perfect fit in San Jose but that doesn't mean he can just pick up where he left off if we sign him. Lucic is an example, fit perfectly on a line with Kopitar in L.A. but even with solid linemates like McDavid, Hopkins, Draisaitl has not found a niche in Edmonton, and his primary niche was usurped almost immediately by, of all people, Patrick Maroon.

Kane's a luxury that doesn't fit a need. I'd love to trade Frolik away for cap space and sign Kane to replace him 1:1, but overall I think we'd still have a certain right handed shooting gaping hole.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 04-17-2018, 11:38 PM   #10204
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Very useful, and with Bennett not becoming a legit 1A / 1B center with Monahan (yet...or maybe never), he would fill a huge void on our roster and set us up with unbelievable center depth.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:41 PM   #10205
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

If a deal around Brodie + could get us O'Reilly cheap I'd be all over it. Who wouldn't lose their passion playing for the Buffalo Sabres....?
Old 04-17-2018, 11:50 PM   #10206
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
If a deal around Brodie + could get us O'Reilly cheap I'd be all over it. Who wouldn't lose their passion playing for the Buffalo Sabres....?
Thats kind of what im hoping happens.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:26 AM   #10207
Willi Plett
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Yup, doesn’t sound like the fun RoRs dad was referring to ha. Actually sounds more like he hates losing and I believe it was said that “we need more players that hate losing”.

I think he’d look pretty good beside Tkachuk. Can we please get Reinhart in the package for the other side?

Last edited by Willi Plett; 04-18-2018 at 12:55 AM.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:51 AM   #10208
Kybb79
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Kane had 4 goals in a big game against Calgary. Give the man some respect. Flames went on a long losing streak after that game. Some of you talk as if he is no good.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kybb79 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2018, 01:06 AM   #10209
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

I want RoR but Brodie isn't getting us any where close. Fans league wide see that he has declined two seasons in a row. Everybody is pretty luke warm on Brodie on hf . RoR would be moved for some one more along the lines of Hanafin or Hamilton. I don't doubt GM's also don't see Brodie as a hot commodity.

You don't trade a number one C who scores around the same clip as Monahan plus is defensively responsible for a number 3/4 dman on the downturn who is 2 years away from ufa. Even adding Fox or one of our other prospects I believe other teams could offer a better package for RoR. That is if they just don't keep him.

Last edited by Psytic; 04-18-2018 at 01:09 AM.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:22 AM   #10210
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

1)2015-2018

5v5 scoring
Player A - 84 points in 3123.39 minutes
Player B - 70 points in 3328.45 minutes
Player C - 68 points in 2929.6 minutes
Player D - 108 points in 3211.43 minutes

One of these players is "number one center Ryan O'Reilly who scores around the same clip as Monahan".
One of these players is Sean Monahan.

Guess:
a) Which one is Ryan O'Reilly

b) Which one is Sean Monahan

c) Who the other two players might be
Here are the answers:
Spoiler!

2) Could he help our power play? I mean, I'm skeptical that any left hand shot is what you want to be trading a key asset for to upgrade our power play which only already has like ten left hand shot forwards. I think you have to be really wary about his power play numbers. Especially on a team where he is one of only two high-end six forwards who shot left, rather than the entire roster. In Buffalo he is:
a) playing a role he probably wouldn't play here, I believe as the bumper in the slot on PP1, which is occupied by the Sean Monahan (or didn't we learn our lesson with Troy Brouwer?) on our PP and that's not changing any time soon

b) playing on a power play with many high-end right hand shot forwards - Jack Eichel, Sam Reinhart, Kyle Okposo. I mean you can make a good PP just by passing to Jack alone.

3) ROR carries a cap hit higher than Gaudreau and Giordano. Ponder that for a second given the above information.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 04-18-2018 at 03:02 AM.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:34 AM   #10211
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psytic View Post
I want RoR but Brodie isn't getting us any where close. Fans league wide see that he has declined two seasons in a row. Everybody is pretty luke warm on Brodie on hf . RoR would be moved for some one more along the lines of Hanafin or Hamilton. I don't doubt GM's also don't see Brodie as a hot commodity.

You don't trade a number one C who scores around the same clip as Monahan plus is defensively responsible for a number 3/4 dman on the downturn who is 2 years away from ufa. Even adding Fox or one of our other prospects I believe other teams could offer a better package for RoR. That is if they just don't keep him.
Fans don't make trades nor do they have much influence. Maybe GM's and scouts are smart enough to see Brodie's decline in play came when a moron coach insisted on playing him on the wrong side of the ice.

Brodie alone won't get ROR and never would have but I'm sure there's pieces to put a deal together.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:40 AM   #10212
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Okay guys. I changed my mind. I'll take Ryan O'Rielly over Kane because he isn't in a contract year, will have a higher hit that Kane, cost us an asset, and isn't a top 3 right wing scorer which we need.

What hole does he fill for us except upgrading on Backlund for a higher caphit and even higher aquisition cost?
Old 04-18-2018, 01:58 AM   #10213
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

RoR .786 points last 3 season Monahan .781 over last 3 seasons.If hes on your team do you trade him for Brodie? I don't lets be honest. Do I trade him for Brodie and Fox? Still think I could get something better from other teams and I wouldn't be willing to give up Andersson or Valimaki that's creating another hole in our cupboard for D man graduating to the NHL ranks and this is with Gio getting up there in age. If we still had a first I could see it. But with out it there is probably other teams that can put together a better package and have cap space to take him on. I would probably hold onto Brodie and see what a new coach can get out of him first before I look to move him at his lowest value anyway. Put him back on his strong side and encourage him to get back to using his backhand. I would probably target a 2nd line RW and center it around Stone since his value isn't at its lowest point and this opens up a spot for Andersson.

Last edited by Psytic; 04-18-2018 at 02:05 AM.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:55 AM   #10214
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Fans don't make trades nor do they have much influence. Maybe GM's and scouts are smart enough to see Brodie's decline in play came when a moron coach insisted on playing him on the wrong side of the ice.

Brodie alone won't get ROR and never would have but I'm sure there's pieces to put a deal together.
This is a made up story, friend.
It's simply not true.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2018, 09:27 AM   #10215
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
This is a made up story, friend.
It's simply not true.
Brodie, the defenseman who thrived on skating, stretch passing, tight but sensible gaps, shotblocking, utilizing his off wing for inside positionig on shots as well as deceptive backhand passes, and transition struggled under a coach who emphasized grinding, strong wing shots from the outside, telegraphed forehand passing only, short passes, offensive zone cycling, high-risk high-reward gaps, and playing the man instead of blocking shots.

All a made up story. The real story is the talent was sucked out of him by an alien hockey team named the MonStars.

Old 04-18-2018, 09:33 AM   #10216
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Brodie, the defenseman who thrived on skating, stretch passing, tight but sensible gaps, shotblocking, utilizing his off wing for inside positionig on shots as well as deceptive backhand passes, and transition struggled under a coach who emphasized grinding, strong wing shots from the outside, telegraphed forehand passing only, short passes, offensive zone cycling, high-risk high-reward gaps, and playing the man instead of blocking shots.

All a made up story. The real story is the talent was sucked out of him by an alien hockey team named the MonStars.
No, the real story is just that a talented offensive minded defensemen vastly outperformed his historical average level (leading back to Junior) when placed beside one of the flames all time best defensemen in his prime, leading many to think that Brodie was better than he actually was. Brodie seems to be mostly the same old brodie, Hamonic is just less good at bailing him out than Gio was.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2018, 09:40 AM   #10217
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post

Brodie thrived on tight but sensible gaps, shot blocking, inside positioning? GG emphasized high risk/reward gaps?

Naw. Even in his best years, Brodie wasn't good defensively, didn't gap well, didn't shot block and took the wrong position to the puck carrier a lot.

The nostalgia for the once every three games stretch backhand pass that actually connected and was not that hard to defend is quite astonishing.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:41 AM   #10218
Demetric
Scoring Winger

Exp:

just imagine getting Ovi and Holtby from Wash after they loose in round 1
Old 04-18-2018, 09:42 AM   #10219
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ovechkin will never play for anyone but the Capitals IMO.

He's a Russian agent, he'll just go back to Russia if he can't be in DC.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:55 AM   #10220
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

[QUOTE=GranteedEV;6659461]1)2015-2018

5v5 scoring
Player A - 84 points in 3123.39 minutes
Player B - 70 points in 3328.45 minutes
Player C - 68 points in 2929.6 minutes
Player D - 108 points in 3211.43 minutes

One of these players is "number one center Ryan O'Reilly who scores around the same clip as Monahan".
One of these players is Sean Monahan.

Wow thanks for this! I had no idea he was this close to Bennett's production. While Ive not been on the trade Bennett train this definitely illustrates a reason to keep him.
Closed Thread