Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2015, 09:32 AM   #261
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
From the Standard Player's Contract...

I'd think the Kings and the League could pretty safely argue that a domestic assault conviction would qualify as "conduct detrimental to the best interest of the Club, the League or professional hockey generally".
I said it in the Richards thread: just because there's a breach or violation of a contract doesn't mean it's a material or fundamental breach, which gives the right to terminate a contract. There is nothing in the SPC which specifies the team's remedy if that provision is breached.

At law, a breach is said to be fundamental (and therefore giving rise to the ability to terminate the contract) if it goes to the heart of the contractual relationship and substance of the contract. Example: if I hire a contractor and he just doesn't show up, that's fundamental (or if I don't pay, that's also fundamental). But if the contract says he must clean up the jobsite every day or show up at 10:00 sharp and he doesn't, it's probably just a damages case and not a termination case.

Now these kinds of morals clauses are a bit unusual, and Im a little surprised that there isn't a s[pecified penalty. But working against the Kings vis-a-vis Richards is the fact that (a) other players caught with drugs haven't been terminated, (b) there are NHL drug procedures which don't include termination, and (c) they havent treated Voynov similarly (yet).

The last point is a reason they might want to terminate Voynov - in order to bolster their case with Richards.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:03 PM   #262
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

TheFourthPeriod is reporting Voynov was released from jail today after serving 45 days of his 90 day sentence.

Will be interesting to see what the NHL does from this point.

Also be interesting to see if the US government tries to deport him.

Last edited by sureLoss; 08-20-2015 at 08:05 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 10:06 AM   #263
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
TheFourthPeriod is reporting Voynov was released from jail today after serving 45 days of his 90 day sentence.

Will be interesting to see what the NHL does from this point.

Also be interesting to see if the US government tries to deport him.
Does he still have to serve the other 45 days or are they just calling it good?

My money says that once his sentence is served the Government will do nothing and the NHL will re-instate him and we'll all forget this ever happened.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 10:09 AM   #264
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

My money says that once his sentence is served the Government will do nothing and the NHL will re-instate him and we'll all forget this ever happened.
it's interesting that both this incident and the terminating of the mike richards contract happen to the same team.

I forget, what has been the claim to why they terminated richards contract, was it behaviour related/.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 10:10 AM   #265
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I doubt we'll forget that Voynov is a convicted abuser.

But, I agree he'll be reinstated and everyone will go on their merry way. He did his time, "paid his debt to society".

I don't think the US tries to deport him.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 10:29 AM   #266
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
My understanding is that it was reduced to 45 days total because of good behaviour.

As far as the state of California is concerned, Voynov has payed his debt for this incident.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2015, 10:34 AM   #267
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cannot see the Kings or the league or good 'ol 'muricah just chucking the guy away. Everyone in life deserves a 2nd chance.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 10:42 AM   #268
TurdFerguson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just in time for training camp; amazing how that works. Some things to navigate still but sure seems like he'll be back full-time for the Kings this season.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:56 AM   #269
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Hope he never plays another game, but he will.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2015, 11:28 AM   #270
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think if the Kings welcome him back with open arms they will almost certainly lose their case with Richard's termination imo.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 11:34 AM   #271
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
it's interesting that both this incident and the terminating of the mike richards contract happen to the same team.

I forget, what has been the claim to why they terminated richards contract, was it behaviour related/.
The reason they are claiming is because he did not inform the team of his border incident. They say it damaged the team because they were engaged in trade talks for him.
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockey Fan #751 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2015, 01:02 PM   #272
Passe La Puck
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Ridiculously low sentence for abuse and he only has to serve half. What a ridiculous judicial system.
Passe La Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 01:29 PM   #273
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

He did his time. Lets move on. Don't really understand those who think he should effectively be punished indefinitely.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 01:34 PM   #274
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passe La Puck View Post
Ridiculously low sentence for abuse and he only has to serve half. What a ridiculous judicial system.
The fact that he even did 45 days is impressive, most celebrities never see the inside of a cell.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 08-21-2015, 01:41 PM   #275
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon7 View Post
He did his time. Lets move on. Don't really understand those who think he should effectively be punished indefinitely.
Punishing him indefinitely would be life in jail. I'm not advocating that, I just believe that playing in the NHL is a privilege, not a right. And the NHL would be setting a fine example that beating up your spouse will not be tolerated by the league.
Old 08-21-2015, 02:01 PM   #276
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Punishing him indefinitely would be life in jail. I'm not advocating that, I just believe that playing in the NHL is a privilege, not a right. And the NHL would be setting a fine example that beating up your spouse will not be tolerated by the league.
Really? Where is you inner lawyer? I can practically write Bettman or Lombardi's press release right now.

Quote:
In regards to the matter concerning LA Kings player Slava Voynov and his arrest and incarceration for Domestic Abuse, we the NHL/LA Kings find the matter to be regrettable but we do not involve ourselves in criminal matters.

Slava was charged, convicted and served the amount of time that was deemed appropriate by the State of California. He deeply regrets this incident but he has served his time and made amends with his wife and as such no extra disciplinary action will be taken by the League or the LA Kings.
I can see it already.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2015, 02:23 PM   #277
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think he'll play this year but it just leads me to believe that there is no way the NHLPA allows Richards contract to be terminated.

Unless you can prove that smuggling pain killers is worse than spousal abuse which is pretty hard to do in terms of public opinion.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 02:29 PM   #278
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJones View Post
I think he'll play this year but it just leads me to believe that there is no way the NHLPA allows Richards contract to be terminated.

Unless you can prove that smuggling pain killers is worse than spousal abuse which is pretty hard to do in terms of public opinion.
And I think they're going to get away with both, Voynov back and Richards gone.

Its not a matter of one being worse than the other, its a total gamble on circumstances.

Voynov served his time and has been rehabilitated.

Richards is still a wild-card.

Old 08-21-2015, 02:30 PM   #279
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Really? Where is you inner lawyer? I can practically write Bettman or Lombardi's press release right now.

I can see it already.
Oh I don't doubt it. I'm just saying what I would like to see. It would be nice for the NHL to set an example and have zero tolerance on those convicted of spousal abuse.

But hey, he's a great hockey player so I'm sure he'll play again.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2015, 02:34 PM   #280
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kings should not be able to void Richards contract for being investigated for pain killers at the border then keep a guy who brutally beat his wife. If Richards contract is void so should Voynov's
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote