Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2014, 01:11 PM   #21
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

It doesn't mean it's done necessarily, but I'd want to see records that show that every maintenance interval was followed throughout it's whole life...especially once it was off warranty. I also think it's one of those cases where it helps to know who the previous owner was.

Even so, it's fairly high mileage for a car that age...not ridiculous, but enough that it would have to be a hell of deal for me to consider. It's not as if an X5 is such an ultra-rare care...I'd most likely be patient and wait for a lower mileage example.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:14 PM   #22
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Recently sold my 3 series Cabrio and went with a 2012 Scion TC with 22K on it. Also sold my 2007 Exlplorer Ltd. with 86Km for a 2012 Buick Regal 2.0 Turbo with 25K on it, for the wife. Both great cars in their own right.

The reason I got rid of my 3 series was... I could no longer afford the maintenance on it. Every year it was something... It was a 1997 e36 with only 112K on it. In 2 years of owning it, I replaced the fuel pump, control arms and ball joints, did a auto to manual transmission conversion after the aut tranny died. Limited slip diff. then I snapped my axels on the highway... I was done.. I will never buy a car older than 3 years again. Especially when financing. 84 months with very little interest and vehicle is the cheapest it will be with that long of term finance.

Go with the new, used. It has likely been maintained by the dealership thus far in its life.
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:45 PM   #23
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I was faced with this decision a few months ago. New Toyota/Japanese SUV vs older German luxury SUV.

I went with the Mercedes. The newer Japanese SUVs just feel too cheap/boring/depressing for the same amount of money. I have yet to see the costs of my next major service though (in about 1000 KM from now).
How fitting that you have Lube in your name...you're going to need it.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:00 PM   #24
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Agree that 140000km on an X5 is too high. Had a new sport+premium 4.8i. When stuff started going wrong at 60, the repairs were very expensive (at that point, not much for aftermarket parts). Dealing with Calgary BMW is not fun either. In my experience, they just can't get their stuff together... and in promising a loaner then not having one available when I get there.
cracher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:03 PM   #25
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Let me ask the OP this:

Are you getting a BMW of that age and mileage because of how functional it is? Or how nice it looks?

If it's the former, there are newer/cheaper options out there. If it's the latter, be prepared to pay a good chunk of money to keep your eye candy running on the street.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:54 PM   #26
BBQorMILDEW
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

As a service advisor for BMW, I'd say you're better off getting the Japanese car. An X5, with that high KM's would be a nightmare for you.

If you have the VIN, I could take a closer look and give you a better grasp on what the car needs.

Send me a pm if you'd like.
BBQorMILDEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:10 AM   #27
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Both X5 and X3 are great to drive. Fun vehicles and real road tactile feedback. However, the maintenance is like cutting of your right arm. Would never buy a BMW or Mercedes for these factors, new or not. Built into the cost or not. Whether it's Lone Star or Calgary BMW the whole thing runs off getting a new vehicle every 3 years. Which means the cost of depreciation is close to the cost of repairs of how they build the machines.

If I could have it my way a luxury auto brand would focus less on the innovation and a little more on the reliability, serviceability and ultimately on reduced cost of ownership for the end customer.

Instead these brands come to represent something for the people that have money to burn, love spending time at dealerships with their muffins, and forget what the premium they paid to own the vehicle.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:12 AM   #28
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydorn View Post
This brings up an interesting point, how long should modern vehicles last? 150km? 200km?

My last two vehicles were replaced at 180km and 260km, so when were purchasing our new car I insisted on less than 5 years/100km, we got around 52,000km on it.

With proper maintenance how much should I reasonably expect from a modern vehicle? Another 100km?
I drive a '01 infiniti. Purchased at 189k on the odometer and currently at 263k. If it wasn't for the rust, I'd say 300k+ easy on mine, even more. But with the rust that car has, I'm fingers crossed for 275-280k before retiring it based on my worries to the rust affecting the structural integrity of the car. I can't afford another car yet and I'm dead set on a full sized sedan to transport people and my hockey gear.

But yeah, probably 300k+ sans issues to structure from rust? I'm annoyed that I need to do a few minor replacements such as windshield, wipers and a new set of tires will literally double the resale value of the car (though I'll see none of that "value") but I definitely expect those fixes to last the remaining life of the vehicle.

Last edited by DoubleF; 07-22-2014 at 03:15 AM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:49 AM   #29
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Interesting to hear all the comments about the X5. I knew they always scored low on consumer reports but for how common they are here I assumed they were more reliable.

Keeping up with the Jones' can be pricey....
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:25 AM   #30
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
If I could have it my way a luxury auto brand would focus less on the innovation and a little more on the reliability, serviceability and ultimately on reduced cost of ownership for the end customer.
Lexus is probably the closest thing to this there is. From all accounts new the new sedans have much improved driving dynamics as well.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:25 AM   #31
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Hey OP, what's your budget?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:52 AM   #32
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Interesting to hear all the comments about the X5. I knew they always scored low on consumer reports but for how common they are here I assumed they were more reliable.

Keeping up with the Jones' can be pricey....
They're common because people like expensive toys here, and can afford them. I doubt many have done much consumer research on the X5 prior to purchasing.

The best favour you can do for yourself is finding out what you're getting into before buying a BMW/Mercedes.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:22 AM   #33
kaisin82
Draft Pick

sliver, less than 20k....
i don't know much about cars. what's a good car to get if you have a 18-20k budget?

what's a good mileage that is acceptable for a used car
kaisin82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:30 AM   #34
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisin82 View Post
sliver, less than 20k....
i don't know much about cars. what's a good car to get if you have a 18-20k budget?

Actually I would say a baseline Ford Focus is a great acquisition. High consumer rating, cheap to maintain, cheap as sin on gas, and the warranties are good. Plus it comes with some goodies you can add on for extra.

If you can get a 2012 or 2013 model that is only slightly used, you could get a Titanium model if you're looking for a trim upgrade in that price range. I would say if you can get a car in the 15k-50k mileage range, you're doing just fine. But always remember to ask for the servicing history. That is absolutely critical.

I actually switched from a BMW 3-Series to a Ford Focus and I have been incredibly happy with it. I found myself babying the damn car so much I forgot what it's purpose was - getting from point A to point B without spending a pretty penny to do it.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:37 AM   #35
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Depends what you're looking for. Between an X5 and a Hyundai sedan you're kind of all over the map. Do you want an SUV or do you want a car? Figure that out and you'll probably get some better recommendations.

Quote:
My rule of thumb is 20,000km or less a year, and I wouldn't bother with anything higher than 100,000kms total if looking at something for a daily driver. If it's near the 100,000 km mark, you're best to ensure the 100,000 km service has already been done, since on most vehicles it's usually rather involved and can be expensive.

One thing to note is that super low-mileage vehichles (what I'd consider less than 10,000km/yr) can have just as many issues as high mileage vehicles. If they're not used semi-regularly, seals dry up, brakes/rotors can corrode, etc.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2014, 09:38 AM   #36
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are many in the thread saying the maintenance on the X5 will be expensive (cutting off arm, trading newborn, etc.). What is considered expensive to you? Am I going to start looking at $1,000 per year? $5,000? $10,000? Side note, would you really cut off your arm for $10,000? I'd give up a first born, but mostly because children are awful and cost you money.

In the two years I've had mine, I've paid about $3,000 in repairs and maintenance. I don't love that, but for a 6 year old vehicle, I didn't think it was crazy. I also got a really good deal on it from my boss, and paid about $10,000 less than market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2014, 09:40 AM   #37
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
In the two years I've had mine, I've paid about $3,000 in repairs and maintenance. I don't love that, but for a 6 year old vehicle, I didn't think it was crazy. I also got a really good deal on it from my boss, and paid about $10,000 less than market.
I would put money on that repair bill growing exponentially the older it gets. $3000 in two years can turn into $10000 in five years. Just a hunch with my BMW experience.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2014, 09:43 AM   #38
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
Side note, would you really cut off your arm for $10,000?
And completely ruin my sex life? I think not.

$1500/yr for maintenance isn't unreasonable for used, but I wouldn't count regular oil changes or minor wear and tear items in that figure.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2014, 09:47 AM   #39
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I would put money on that repair bill growing exponentially the older it gets. $3000 in two years can turn into $10000 in five years. Just a hunch with my BMW experience.
I can deal with $2,000 per year. If it was going to become $10,000 per year, then I'd start looking at selling it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:27 AM   #40
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

At year 4ish (65000kms), the X5 was around $10k that year between tires (only michelin makes the wide summer tires), crazy routine stuff that must be done at the stealership (even for oil changes - jiffy lube can't reset the dash indicator), and a CV.

That was it for me. When you can buy a used car with 1 year of maintenance, it's time to get a japanese car.
cracher is offline   Reply With Quote