Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2016, 10:25 PM   #141
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
He never did a thing on the ice to earn the A. It was handed to him because management wants him to be the goldenboy centrepiece of the rebuild.
Hyperbole.
The guy has put together 3 impressive seasons.
How on earth can you say he has never done a thing?
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 10:27 PM   #142
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Hyperbole.
I get the "what have you done for me lately?" mentality, but this crap is just revisionist history
Old 11-21-2016, 10:28 PM   #143
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hyperbole.
A thing associated with captaincy. You know, like playing every shift like it's your last, being the hardest worker, etc. Monahan can score points and draw even on faceoffs. That is not a reason to give him a letter. Having a "captain's demeanour" is not a reason to wear an A. That is management projecting some mystical Toews/Sakic persona unto him.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 11-21-2016 at 10:30 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2016, 10:35 PM   #144
JiriHrdina

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
A thing associated with captaincy. You know, like playing every shift like it's your last, being the hardest worker, etc. Monahan can score points and draw even on faceoffs. That is not a reason to give him a letter. Having a "captain's demeanour" is not a reason to wear an A. That is management projecting some mystical Toews/Sakic persona unto him.
That's what you associate with being a captain, and that is a very surface level assessment only.
I would suggest there are a myriad of factors and characteristics that go into the choice - with other attributes that are likely valued being composure, humility, willingness to be coached and listen to others, leading by example on and off the ice, being able to support teammates in the right ways and dozens of other things.

Your description is just cliche hockey stuff and not reflective of anything close to reality.

There are all sorts of different types of leaders.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2016, 10:36 PM   #145
JiriHrdina

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
I get the "what have you done for me lately?" mentality, but this crap is just revisionist history
Amazing how quickly some fans are turning on some really good players on this team. Ugly.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2016, 10:40 PM   #146
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not the season I hoped for either but this is turning to Vancouver levels of fandom.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2016, 10:41 PM   #147
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Whats the biggest dip in points for a solid player that managed to bounce back in short order that wasnt in his second year?
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 10:41 PM   #148
smiggy77
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Amazing how quickly some fans are turning on some really good players on this team. Ugly.
The doom and gloom around here is absurd. Three great seasons and then 20 bad games all I see is "bad contract" , "strip his captaincy", "kids a bad player"
Old 11-21-2016, 10:47 PM   #149
JiriHrdina

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Whats the biggest dip in points for a solid player that managed to bounce back in short order that wasnt in his second year?
Most players go through ups and downs. This is hardly unusual particularly after signing a big deal
The Following User Says Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2016, 10:54 PM   #150
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
It is ugly.

People seem to be either agitated or indifferent about this team, and that gets put on the players, or the new coaches, and the two newest biggest contracts are Gaudreau and Monahan.

If you're agitated, at least that shows you care. With those I know who are season ticket holders, they are preferring to give their tickets to charities as opposed to taking the lowball offers received online. That's good in some ways if kids get to the game, but also worrisome. But also they're trying to sell them because they themselves don't enjoy attending the games as much. This Flames product is not as exciting to watch as it was in the last 3 years.

In Monahan's favour he's under a new coach, new system. A system that doesn't seem to play to his strengths, at least for now.

Add to this that the team is at the cap and so no longer has flexibility, with an ownership asking in public and behind the scenes for hundreds of millions of dollars to get a badly needed rink upgrade, and you have the building blocks for lots of unhappy people. Not just the fans, but the ownership, the management, and the players.

Talking trading him is way too extreme. It has to get figured out though and not by limping around for another 2 to 3 seasons.

My own view is I'm not happy with this coach. I don't care if he's a great tactician or a great coach for possession or has wizardly systems in his head. Those systems are not working but at least they are being adjusted based on the last couple games. The Flames have a long commitment to Monahan and they're going to have to make it work. He's more important than GG by far. The system adjustment itself, opening up passing lanes east-west, has been a nice change and not too drastic.

We now have this great Corsi and we suck. This reminds me too much of the Eakins Oilers.

But Monahan has to figure things out, there is clearly something going on with his effort/reactions/skating/drive.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 02:52 AM   #151
debil
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

he always been smart 2nd line skills player taking advantage of more skilled players he played with. He's not bad but betting on him as franchize center was extremely naive.
debil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 04:24 AM   #152
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just about every young player goes threw rough patches, Patrick Kane had a 17 game pointless streak early in his career, Kopitar had 2 points in 20 games in his. these guys don't wake up and forget how to play hockey, calm down people it's just a rut.

I think people forget he just turned 22
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2016, 06:39 AM   #153
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Just about every young player goes threw rough patches, Patrick Kane had a 17 game pointless streak early in his career, Kopitar had 2 points in 20 games in his. these guys don't wake up and forget how to play hockey, calm down people it's just a rut.

I think people forget he just turned 22
He also went through a scoring drought last year but eventually righted the ship.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 06:39 AM   #154
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Not fans IMO. It's OK to be critical but I really wonder what people are all about with the emotional overreactions that follow a loss.
blender is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 06:45 AM   #155
Justin
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
Not fans IMO. It's OK to be critical but I really wonder what people are all about with the emotional overreactions that follow a loss.
They're the same fans that will "all of a sudden" proclaim:

"I can't deal with this Franchise anymore"

...and pick up a McDavid Jersey.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 06:47 AM   #156
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
That's what you associate with being a captain, and that is a very surface level assessment only.
I would suggest there are a myriad of factors and characteristics that go into the choice - with other attributes that are likely valued being composure, humility, willingness to be coached and listen to others, leading by example on and off the ice, being able to support teammates in the right ways and dozens of other things.

Your description is just cliche hockey stuff and not reflective of anything close to reality.

There are all sorts of different types of leaders.
This needed to be thanked and quoted.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 06:50 AM   #157
Cactus Jack
First Line Centre

Exp:

Iīm not as down on him as some but the contract, injury and new coach/system are obvious causes. But he also disappeared in the first round against the Canucks and if I recall correctly he said then he wasnīt injured. Maybe itīs just a prolonged slump, h seems like a quiet guy that would respond more to patience than a kick in the arse
Old 11-22-2016, 07:20 AM   #158
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
They're the same fans that will "all of a sudden" proclaim:

"I can't deal with this Franchise anymore"

...and pick up a McDavid Jersey.

I've never seen or heard of anything remotely like this actually happening.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 07:40 AM   #159
Bear
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack View Post
Iīm not as down on him as some but the contract, injury and new coach/system are obvious causes. But he also disappeared in the first round against the Canucks and if I recall correctly he said then he wasnīt injured. Maybe itīs just a prolonged slump, h seems like a quiet guy that would respond more to patience than a kick in the arse
Thanks for raising this. It's laughable that some are claiming this to be a "20 game slump". The guy disappeared on the road and in the playoffs and has some seriously concerning holes in his game that have shown no improvement in 4 years. Some criticism and concern is merited.
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bear For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2016, 07:59 AM   #160
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

so now we're blasting him because he didn't dominate in his first ever playoffs series when he was 20 years old? Cool.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote