Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2023, 01:50 PM   #2341
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
A 22km march, as well. Good to get some exercise in.
I hope they stop and frequent local businesses and amenities along the route.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 02:31 PM   #2342
OptimalTates
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

New Jersey girl is beat up at school, video goes viral, she kills herself two days later after years of bullying. Superintendent places blame on the victim and her family.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...death/4099102/
OptimalTates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 07:11 AM   #2343
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimalTates View Post
Lol it is. It’s parodying the real “protests” from the likes of Theo who believe that 15 minute city ideas are some form of control and violation of the charter…because having a grocery store within walking distance was something no true Canadian would want I guess.
This came up in my feed too. What's the rationale? Having amenities in close proximity and reducing commuting times is really just a government plot to distract people from the real evils and create mini-prisons for them? Riding a bike is the first step towards acceptance of a NWO?

I really don't get this. Wouldn't it be easier for the government to control you if you didn't have easy access to the basics of life? People already live in cities or neighborhoods that can be locked down by the government. No one is talking about building isolated neighborhoods, just ones that contain everything you need to get buy. We'll still have highways and roads connecting them, just as current neighborhoods are connected now.

The only actual reason to oppose it is that it might not work. We've been trying to spread out work places, away from the downtown cores, for decades without much success. How do you implement this in existing cities? Build an office building in the middle of London and then hope that all of it's employees can somehow move in close proximity to it?
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 09:43 AM   #2344
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimalTates View Post
New Jersey girl is beat up at school, video goes viral, she kills herself two days later after years of bullying. Superintendent places blame on the victim and her family.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...death/4099102/
I dont know what to think about this. Its a really tough situation for everyone.

Sure, theres no question that Greek Super Nintendo Chalmers there is essentially useless. He can toss out word salad fairly well, but its hard to lay too much blame at his feet or the School's.

Theres a limit as to what teachers and staff can do about that.

"Is a 10-day suspension appropriate?"

Make it 100 days. Does it fix the problem?

"Should you press charges against the bullies?"

What do you want the School to do? The School wasnt attacked. The School passes the evidence off to the Cops and the Cops have to decide whether to press charges.

I dont have an answer, if I did I'd have put an end to school bullying, but this seems like the local news is scapegoating the school for 'not doing enough' and then not providing any solutions or alternatives, the school blames the system and the parents, the parents blame the school and round and round and round we go, where the wheel stops nobody knows!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 12:00 PM   #2345
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I dont know what to think about this. Its a really tough situation for everyone.

Sure, theres no question that Greek Super Nintendo Chalmers there is essentially useless. He can toss out word salad fairly well, but its hard to lay too much blame at his feet or the School's.

Theres a limit as to what teachers and staff can do about that.

"Is a 10-day suspension appropriate?"

Make it 100 days. Does it fix the problem?

"Should you press charges against the bullies?"

What do you want the School to do? The School wasnt attacked. The School passes the evidence off to the Cops and the Cops have to decide whether to press charges.

I dont have an answer, if I did I'd have put an end to school bullying, but this seems like the local news is scapegoating the school for 'not doing enough' and then not providing any solutions or alternatives, the school blames the system and the parents, the parents blame the school and round and round and round we go, where the wheel stops nobody knows!
This is part of the problem. The school didn't inform the cops or take the girl to a doctor. The superintendent then made derogatory comments about the victim after she committed suicide.
The school failed and then doubled-down on it. They deserve some blame.
Old 02-13-2023, 12:41 PM   #2346
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
This is part of the problem. The school didn't inform the cops or take the girl to a doctor. The superintendent then made derogatory comments about the victim after she committed suicide.
The school failed and then doubled-down on it. They deserve some blame.
I was unaware of that, but in that case absolutely.

Realistically if you want the School to take a hard-line stance then thats all there is to it. You get the video, you hand it over to the Cops.

If they choose to prosecute, then thats on them, if not then you do what you can, you suspend the kids as much as you can or you expel them.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 02-13-2023, 01:36 PM   #2347
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

I'm not surprised. I was bullied quite a bit in school, and in nearly every instance I was the one punished. Even had a teacher witness 5 kids ganging up on me, did nothing for a good 3 minutes, just watched. After I managed to break free I said to the teacher "thanks for the f'ing help". I got in trouble for swearing. As well, fight back and hit one of them? Oh.... can't have that. They are free to pummel you and trip you, kick you, etc, but as soon as you lay a fist, that's a problem.

I don't freaking get it.

Last edited by BlackArcher101; 02-13-2023 at 01:38 PM.
BlackArcher101 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlackArcher101 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2023, 11:23 PM   #2348
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

From the Cory Morgan is a steaming pile of dog crap files:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1627160406623150080
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 03:23 PM   #2349
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
This came up in my feed too. What's the rationale? Having amenities in close proximity and reducing commuting times is really just a government plot to distract people from the real evils and create mini-prisons for them? Riding a bike is the first step towards acceptance of a NWO?

I really don't get this. Wouldn't it be easier for the government to control you if you didn't have easy access to the basics of life? People already live in cities or neighborhoods that can be locked down by the government. No one is talking about building isolated neighborhoods, just ones that contain everything you need to get buy. We'll still have highways and roads connecting them, just as current neighborhoods are connected now.

The only actual reason to oppose it is that it might not work. We've been trying to spread out work places, away from the downtown cores, for decades without much success. How do you implement this in existing cities? Build an office building in the middle of London and then hope that all of it's employees can somehow move in close proximity to it?
I mean, in Oxford they're charging ~$110 for anyone who drives their car to a different district of the city without a permit. That's pretty controlling if you have to apply for a government permit to drive across town.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 06:13 PM   #2350
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
I mean, in Oxford they're charging ~$110 for anyone who drives their car to a different district of the city without a permit. That's pretty controlling if you have to apply for a government permit to drive across town.
London has had a density tax on transportation for a long time. It’s only 15 pounds though. Tolls as a means of paying for roads seems reasonable.

https://www.oxford.gov.uk/news/artic...raffic_filters

https://www.oxfordshire.gov.uk/resid...aragraph-13607

Here’s a good description of the proposed filters

Essentially traffic congestion is making the buses not work. What options do you have at that point.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 07:00 PM   #2351
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

In Idaho, lawmakers want to criminalize medicine.

https://www.ktvb.com/article/news/lo...2-f9be10300075
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 09:48 PM   #2352
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
In Idaho, lawmakers want to criminalize medicine.

https://www.ktvb.com/article/news/lo...2-f9be10300075
I'm honestly befuddled how they think they can pass legislation to outlaw a vaccine that has FDA approval. I'm pretty sure this is an unenforceable law, even if it passed.

People talk a lot of crap about the south being backward and awful, but I've seen some of the craziest and stupidest legislation come out of Idaho and Wyoming. I think Wyoming wanted to outlaw the sale of electric cars recently. That would directly hurt Ford and GM as they are rolling out a ton of new electric vehicles including electric trucks. I guess nobody likes capitalism or American auto workers anymore?
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 09:49 PM   #2353
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
London has had a density tax on transportation for a long time. It’s only 15 pounds though. Tolls as a means of paying for roads seems reasonable.

https://www.oxford.gov.uk/news/artic...raffic_filters

https://www.oxfordshire.gov.uk/resid...aragraph-13607

Here’s a good description of the proposed filters

Essentially traffic congestion is making the buses not work. What options do you have at that point.
I don't claim to have the answers for Oxford (as I've never even been there), although I had read that piece. I definitely don't support threatening public figures (which apparently has happened here) even though I think this is probably bad policy.

I agree the roads being to congested for busses to work is an issue. I'd have probably gone with the addition of bus only lanes to some roads (or some roads being made bus only depending on width). Artificially raising the cost of parking in an area also effectively reduces car trips and thus traffic, and increases demand for public transit as well - that has worked well here in Calgary.

Having to get a permit from the government to drive outside your district (through a "filter") or face a punitive level fine doesn't seem appropriate to me. I agree an economic solution to that problem probably exists, but their current plant seems a bit controlling.

Last edited by bizaro86; 02-20-2023 at 12:20 AM.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 10:13 PM   #2354
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t see how it’s different from any toll road right now. In the US tolls require transponders. If you don’t sign up for on or register your vehicle and pay online you get a large fine. Filters are just toll stations

It’s also only 6 areas at this point but not knowing Oxford well enough I can’t say whether this encloses people in the neighborhood or not.

They also don’t restrict peoples movement they restrict cars movement within certain hours.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 06:08 PM   #2355
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

The situation in Palestine makes me sad.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1629918280713482243
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 01:05 AM   #2356
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Brown people as victims combined with Israel holding the "good guy" persona amongst the West?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 10:02 AM   #2357
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apathy.

Israelis and Palestinians being awful to each other? Again? Still? More? Is it Tuesday again?

Its probably some form of "Outrage Exhaustion?"

They've been at each other for something like 3,000 years, essentially most of recorded history, at some point its just become the status quo.

The sky is blue, water is wet, the Israelis and Palestinians hate each other, five times five is still 25 and its Monday.

Old 03-28-2023, 02:25 PM   #2358
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/wxjq...llower-evicted

Quote:
In the same Telegram chat where Bonnie begged for help after she was evicted, she chronicled the events leading up to her losing her home. For months she wrote about how banks attempted to get her to pay, and she repeatedly asked Didulo for advice. In the end, however, she outright refused to pay. And when she was foreclosed upon, she refused to give up her property. At one point in December, she was called to go to court to dispute the foreclosure.

“I never attended because Queen Romana said it’s nil and void [sic], but they foreclosed anyhow and threatened to evict me by force if I don’t comply,” Bonnie wrote in the Telegram chat. “They let a realtor in my home (threats as usual).”

“I stood strong because Queen Romana is the real deal and the Kingdom of Canada is amazing,” she added later.
We really should fund some studies on the brains of these "followers". Didulo isn't charismatic, attractive, smart, wealthy, or talented in any way. Her "Queen of Canada" character is a bit that sounds like it should be from SCTV or Kids In The Hall, yet people give her thousands of dollars and make themselves destitute by believing in her. I know all about Carlin's "Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize 50% of the population is stupider than that", but this is way beyond simple stupidity. This is some kind of mass mental illness that she's somehow tapped into
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 02:32 PM   #2359
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didulo followers, Freemen on the Land, whatever other stupid "I'm not bound by the rules of society" group you can come up with... I have no sympathy for any of these people. Assuming "Bonnie" has children, they should be taken away and put in foster care immediately. Our social safety net is too strong to allow Darwinism to take its course here, or these people wouldn't be alive to pollute the gene pool.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2023, 05:46 PM   #2360
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone that takes life advice from a person whose name is an obvious anagram of 'U Dildo' deserves all the trouble they will clearly get
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote