Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-19-2017, 08:41 AM   #161
JohnnyTitan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The more I think about it...the less the Cap Floor is even a consideration (going to be easy to hit).

The real impediment is...cutting the roster down to 22 in October!

They need to select 30 players and can only roster 22 by the start of the season. So what to do with the other eight?

They will for sure flip a couple for picks...but even if they are able to ultimate wheel-and-deal 5 for picks that still leaves them 3 players that need to be waiver in-eligible but (for their sake) really good players. Those are kinda their unicorns -> good players whom are not exempt (under 2 years of pro experience) but yet have not played the minimum requiring waivers. Last year I think the Flames had Poirier and Shinkaruk and Wotherspoon and Kulak but this year whom do we have? Klimchuk maybe? I keep hearing if they take Shinkaruk or Wotherspoon or Kulak that they'd be waiver eligible.

I don't know enough about the other teams in the league...but I'm thinking Vegas needs three or four of these players and they're going to be hard to find. I fully expect that at least a couple of "No Brainers" will NOT be taken by Vegas because instead they spend their expansion pick on a player who holds great upside but they can bury in the AHL for a year. Anyone smart enough to produce a short list of these guys?
JohnnyTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:49 AM   #162
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Every skater VGK can pick is waiver eligible. The skaters who aren't waiver eligible are exempt from the draft.

They're going to have to draft/sign and trade for guys they can get to their minor league team guaranteed

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher; 06-19-2017 at 08:52 AM.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:56 AM   #163
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

FWIW, Ryan Lambert thinks Matt Stajan is going to be VGK's 2nd line centre.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:02 AM   #164
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
Well he was trying to put together the best possible team they could ice. Not necessarily what they will do.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:02 AM   #165
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
And I agree with this.
Great character guy and solid pro.
Will bring back a reasonably valuable asset at trade deadline.
Its pretty much the ideal expansion pick.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:15 AM   #166
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
And I agree with this.
Great character guy and solid pro.
Will bring back a reasonably valuable asset at trade deadline.
Its pretty much the ideal expansion pick.
I think the ideal expansion pick is a young player who actually produces.

Like Marchessault from Florida. Dumba from Minny.

An older player signed for one year who's best value is to be flipped (hopefully) for a 3rd rounder in 4 months is a selection you make when you don't like any of the teams prospects more than a 3rd-4th rounder.

But it really depends on to what extent Vegas thinks they need to be respectable this year. Forwards (especially centres) will be at a premium), so Stajan might be someone they want simply because there isn't much to pick from Calgary.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:23 AM   #167
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't disagree, but those are few and far between as far as being available
Old 06-19-2017, 09:23 AM   #168
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

The problem with Brouwer from McPhee's point of view is the term on the contract makes him untradeable. With other vets, LVK can flip them at the trade deadline next season for a nice return. If they take Brouwer, he's on the LVK roster for three more seasons.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 06-19-2017 at 09:45 AM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 09:27 AM   #169
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
The problem with Brouwer from McPhee's point of view is the term on the contract makes him untradeable. With other higher-paid vets, LVK can flip them at the trade deadline next season for a nice return. If they take Brouwer, he's on the LVK roster for three more seasons.
You should get a first rounder returned for Plekanec, a second and third maybe for Stajan.
It's all about acquiring the most assets for the longer term. There is almost no one available who will be an asset to the contender in LV in 5 years or so
Old 06-19-2017, 09:27 AM   #170
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The problem with Brouwer from McPhee's point of view is the term on the contract makes him untradeable. With other higher-paid vets, LVK can flip them at the trade deadline next season for a nice return. If they take Brouwer, he's on the LVK roster for three more seasons.
I don't know if that's true. If Brouwer were to be picked up - he would probably get good ice time, including on the PP - so his numbers probably would look better. And then I could see some other team be willing to trade for him.
His value is at a all time low right now though so there is risk.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:55 AM   #171
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
The problem with Brouwer from McPhee's point of view is the term on the contract makes him untradeable. With other vets, LVK can flip them at the trade deadline next season for a nice return. If they take Brouwer, he's on the LVK roster for three more seasons.
I'm not convinced that's true. You may think Brouwer could never rebound but don't make the mistake of assuming all NHL GMs agree with you
Old 06-19-2017, 11:10 AM   #172
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
I'm not convinced that's true. You may think Brouwer could never rebound but don't make the mistake of assuming all NHL GMs agree with you
The issue isn't whether or not he rebound, it is whether counting on him rebounding is worth taking him as an asset when there may be other assets available capable of a similar return without the same cap/term obstacles represented in Brouwer's contract.

It's why I think Stajan will be more attractive to Vegas than Brouwer; basically 0 trade obstacles for Stajan other than performance. If he isn't a quality NHL'er there will be no trade value there, but if he IS an NHL quality player there will be nothing restricting his movement because of how tolerable his cap hit will be with 0 term.

Stajan's NTC is even more favourable than Brouwer's. Stajan has a 10 team list he can't be dealt to and Brouwer has 15 and Brouwer has a full NTC until next season when Stajan's contract will be done.

I really don't think there is any apetite to claim Brouwer, but if he has a bounce back year for Calgary including a decent playoff performance he could be sought after once again.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:23 AM   #173
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's no way Matt Stajan is anyone's #2 centre at this point. Feels like wishful thinking because Stajan is overpaid and people want a spot open for Jankowski. I don't see any incentive for Vegas to take a $3million 4th line centre.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:25 AM   #174
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Interesting didn't realize Brouwer had the NTC. That does make him less attractive unless Vegas gets some offers on him before the draft.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:26 AM   #175
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Interesting didn't realize Brouwer had the NTC. That does make him less attractive unless Vegas gets some offers on him before the draft.
Yeah, full NTC the first two years, 15 team trade list the final 2.

It's a very unattractive contract after his last season.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:26 AM   #176
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Given his age, it was always likely that the value in Brouwer's contract would come in the first two seasons, and he'd be overpaid for the last two. That's just the way UFA contracts for 30+ players go.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:27 AM   #177
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Maybe it is Stajan, but who the hell cares what Ryan Lambert thinks?
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Major Major For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 11:28 AM   #178
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I might be the only one who hopes we don't lose Brouwer, without a replacement in mind.

Yeah he underacheived big time last year, but he is a bigger guy who has a right hand shot. Even a departure of the crappy version of Brouwer leaves a bit of a hole in the lineup.

Large disclaimer: If we can take the cap relief from a departed Brouwer, and replace him with something better, then oh yeah see ya later. But if we just intend to plug the hole he leaves with spare parts, then I'm not overly thrilled.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:29 AM   #179
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
I might be the only one who hopes we don't lose Brouwer, without a replacement in mind.

Yeah he underacheived big time last year, but he is a bigger guy who has a right hand shot. Even a departure of the crappy version of Brouwer leaves a bit of a hole in the lineup.

Large disclaimer: If we can take the cap relief from a departed Brouwer, and replace him with something better, then oh yeah see ya later. But if we just intend to plug the hole he leaves with spare parts, then I'm not overly thrilled.
There are enough players coming through the system to replace Brouwer on the 4th line internally. I won't be terribly upset though if he has a chance to redeem himself.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:30 AM   #180
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think I read somewhere that Stajan was 75th in the league for centers in even strength points per 60 minutes last season, and that was with some pretty bad line mates most of the time.

I think he could be a decent 3C for Vegas if they can't find a better option, and if given a bit bigger role could be flipped for a decent pick at next years deadline as a veteran depth center on a contending team.

Plus there is the whole good team mate, decent defensively, can kill penalties, highly-coachable aspect to him, as well as the fact his salary is much lower than his cap hit, etc
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote