Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2013, 09:45 AM   #61
calgARI
Not Jim Playfair

Exp:

Honestly, I think it will be summer before anything of consequence happens. It will in the next three hours that Feaster talks about how he trying to do something. He is really just an excited fan with a legal background, nothing like any successful, effective GM's.

CALGARY
Stanley Cup Champions: 1989
calgARI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:46 AM   #62
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Hence why Kipper and Iginla need to retire.
Can we at least let Iggy walk for free and give him a chance to win the cup.

In my mind the odds of ownership telling Iggy that he needs to be moved are pretty close to 0. The only way Iggy gets traded is if he tells them there is 0% chance he will re-sign. I don't see that happening. I think he will tell them that he will test UFA market but the flames will still be on his list of teams that he will sign with. That is all ownership will need to hear to convince themselves that he will re-sign.

This year will be the 1st year that teams have a week before free agency to woo a ufa player. It won't take much to convince Iggy that going with another club is the way to go.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:51 AM   #63
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prizefighterinferno View Post
Let's not be ridiculous.
The only reason for the Bruins moving Krejci in the first place would be for salary and Iginla makes $7 Million/year.

The Bruins are a top team in the league, so Krejci will have to return a young player that is already a good NHL'er if they don't want to fall in the standings. Kind of like how the Flyers got Jakub Voracek as part of the package for Jeff Carter and Wayne Simmonds for Mike Richards. Flames don't have a Voracek or Simmonds.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2013, 09:58 AM   #64
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think clearly we are in "win now" but its going to be a guy in his 20's, not 30's.

Except Brad Richards. I can see Feaster getting him.

I can also see Statsny too.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:59 AM   #65
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames management is being ridiculed quite a bit on twitter, and to be honest, good to hear.

The flames management group are proving not smart enough to do the job.

I would also consider the flames management to have the longest leash of any of the canadian markets. Here in TO management is severly scrutinized especially in the sundin days. If any other team was managed like this in canada (outside of maybe the jets), the media would be much more harsh to such incompetent management.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:01 AM   #66
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also seems like Feaster and company are perfectly fine with getting a player in the 6.5 million range.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:02 AM   #67
Clever_Iggy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgARI View Post
He is really just an excited fan with a legal background, nothing like any successful, effective GM's.
This part is just ignorant. You don't know Feaster and I'm sure you'll discount any achievements he's had in the AHL and NHL just because it fits your current mantra.

He and Brian Burke have won more Stanley Cups as GMs than a ton of "hockey guys" currently GMing in the NHL.

Why is it that the NHL is the only league where being a former player seems to be a prerequisite for running an organization?
Clever_Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Clever_Iggy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2013, 10:04 AM   #68
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
He'll go "hunting" after Cory Perry once he reaches UFA status, fail, but then remind us how he tried to improve the needs of the team.
He'll "hunt" Getzlaf first. Big centre with skill and some leadership.

Not that he'll be anymore successful at it.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:05 AM   #69
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
My point is that Calgary can't pay what they ask. Gaudreau, Baertschi and a 1st doesn't get it done. Iginla, Baertschi and a 1st doesn't get it done. Look at the return Mike Richards and Jeff Carter got as a blueprint for what Boston would want for Krejci. Actually, Krejci might be a little better than Richards and Carter, so the return could be even higher.
I think you're over rating Krejci a little there...
I do agree that we won't be prying Krejci out of Boston, but not because what we could offer wouldn't be enough. No team who's looking like they could be a cup contender is trading away their number one centre at this time of the year.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:06 AM   #70
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

We are really starting to resemble the Oilers
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:06 AM   #71
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever_Iggy View Post
This part is just ignorant. You don't know Feaster and I'm sure you'll discount any achievements he's had in the AHL and NHL just because it fits your current mantra.

He and Brian Burke have won more Stanley Cups as GMs than a ton of "hockey guys" currently GMing in the NHL.

Why is it that the NHL is the only league where being a former player seems to be a prerequisite for running an organization?
Brian Burke was a hockey player....FYI
Old 03-01-2013, 10:07 AM   #72
calgARI
Not Jim Playfair

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier View Post

I can also see Statsny too.
I don't see Colorado dealing with Calgary any time soon.

CALGARY
Old 03-01-2013, 10:08 AM   #73
BigT112
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

The moves the Flames keep making seem to have the hand prints of Murray Edwards and Ken King all over them. I just feel that Feaster is handed down a mandate and told what to do and say. Edwards is desperate for more money and missing the playoffs isn't making him money. It's a sad way to run a sports team.
BigT112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:09 AM   #74
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgARI View Post
I don't see Colorado dealing with Calgary any time soon.
I watched the Sherman interview last night... I did not get any impression of bad blood. They barely seemed to care.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:09 AM   #75
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bringing in ROR made sense as it was a long term move but bringing in Krejci or Weiss isn't going to stop this team from missing the playoffs or halt the decline. I sure hope that the Calgary Flames understand that because if they don't things could get really ugly for a long time.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:11 AM   #76
calgARI
Not Jim Playfair

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever_Iggy View Post

You're welcome to disagree with my assessment but don't call me ignorant. Just argue the points.

Burke did play, just never in the NHL. Feaster became GM of the Lightning after the core of that team was already established. Sure he made some moves to improve them but that isn't what this organization needs - it needs vision which we have never seen any evidence of from him.

Can't say it enough, the fact that this guy is allowing one center on the ice every night for his team indicates that he doesn't know enough about the sport. He has done some good things for sure, but this team has been built terribly even if Backlund weren't hurt.

CALGARY
Old 03-01-2013, 10:12 AM   #77
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

There really are no moves to make - it's exactly why this "rebuild on the fly" strategy doesn't work.

Feaster admitted that the price for O'Reilly via trade was way too high. It's not going to be any lower for similar players who are actually playing games. And those prices are only going to rise getting closer to the trade deadline.

So basically we're stuck in a rut where our GM has admitted we're not good enough, the acquisition cost of a player that can help us now & later is clearly too high, and the franchise doesn't want to trade away futures for short-term benefit (O'Reilly would've helped us now, but also moving forward). The cost of making any move is only going up from here so it's not getting any easier.

The only real option is wait a few weeks, hope the team somehow improves from with-in (highly unlikely), and if they don't sell off some assets. That could mean Iginla or it could be guys like Stempniak or Glencross who could still fetch a good return.
JayP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JayP For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2013, 10:13 AM   #78
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
My point is that Calgary can't pay what they ask. Gaudreau, Baertschi and a 1st doesn't get it done. Iginla, Baertschi and a 1st doesn't get it done. Look at the return Mike Richards and Jeff Carter got as a blueprint for what Boston would want for Krejci. Actually, Krejci might be a little better than Richards and Carter, so the return could be even higher.
Baertschi alone would get it done. And that would be stupid.

Baertschi + 1st > what Richards and Carter got. By far.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:13 AM   #79
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

EDIT: Double post.
JayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:15 AM   #80
Clever_Iggy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier View Post
Brian Burke was a hockey player....FYI
I know. I guess that just compounds the question - is playing in the AHL sufficient experience to meet the prerequisite to be an NHL GM? Junior? NCAA?
Clever_Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote