Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2024, 10:11 AM   #141
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Have loved what I have seen from Wolf so far. He looks just as advertised… reading plays super well, great rebound control and he is ridiculously quick. Honestly, I can’t think of any goalie in the NHL that looks as quick in the net as he does. Obviously he has to be quick because of his size but it’s very impressive. He seems very sharp and his demeanour is very cool and calming which is exactly what I like to see in a goalie.

I really hope the flames can find a good trade partner that will give value for Markstrom in the offseason. Not because I want to see Wolf as the full-time starter but because I think Markstrom has some value again and capitalizing on that would be a smart move for this team. And I would prefer to go with a tandem of Wolf and Vladar next year. Could see them splitting starts fairly evenly. The flames might protect Wolf a bit for the first half of the year with his starts being some of the easier ones.
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 10:32 AM   #142
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Hasek in his first two seasons as a regular backup was sub .900. More recently, Demko was a pedestian .905. Markstrom's numbers were low his first few years too. Sometimes a goalie needs some time at this level.
I'd replace sometimes with typically. The list of goalies that jump in and perform at elite levels right away is short, and I would say many of these goalies that do perform right away are flash in the pan types more often than not.

This is why it feels like a bit of a shame the Flames didn't get Wolf into this role to start the season. He needs NHL reps to figure out his positioning, reads and get comfortable as a smaller guy. This stretch will certainly do wonders for him, but I suspect it will take a significant chunk, if not all of next season as well before he starts to fully realize his potential.
Old 03-25-2024, 11:07 AM   #143
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
Have loved what I have seen from Wolf so far. He looks just as advertised… reading plays super well, great rebound control and he is ridiculously quick. Honestly, I can’t think of any goalie in the NHL that looks as quick in the net as he does. Obviously he has to be quick because of his size but it’s very impressive. He seems very sharp and his demeanour is very cool and calming which is exactly what I like to see in a goalie.

I really hope the flames can find a good trade partner that will give value for Markstrom in the offseason. Not because I want to see Wolf as the full-time starter but because I think Markstrom has some value again and capitalizing on that would be a smart move for this team. And I would prefer to go with a tandem of Wolf and Vladar next year. Could see them splitting starts fairly evenly. The flames might protect Wolf a bit for the first half of the year with his starts being some of the easier ones.
Agree.
I've seen enough to feel he's ready for full time NHL with pretty even splits in a tandem.

However I'm torn on trading or keeping Markstrom as a mentor.
I guess it depends on the return vs what trading Vladar would bring.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 11:22 AM   #144
Ba'alzamon
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Agree.
I've seen enough to feel he's ready for full time NHL with pretty even splits in a tandem.

Even setting the idea of mentorship aside, I think there's something to be said for having a stable, experienced veteran like Markstrom to fall back on during rough patches.

Not saying that trading Markstrom would necessarily be a mistake, I just think there are maybe more benefits to keeping him than a lot of people are acknowledging. That stabilizing presence on its own can also be a big benefit for a young goalie.
Ba'alzamon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ba'alzamon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2024, 11:45 AM   #145
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ba'alzamon View Post
Even setting the idea of mentorship aside, I think there's something to be said for having a stable, experienced veteran like Markstrom to fall back on during rough patches.

Not saying that trading Markstrom would necessarily be a mistake, I just think there are maybe more benefits to keeping him than a lot of people are acknowledging. That stabilizing presence on its own can also be a big benefit for a young goalie.
Agreed it has to be a decent return. Not sure what that is… I was hoping for a first round pick but not sure if that’s in the cards. If any team is willing to trade their first round pick for him, I think it would be a smart move. Especially if it’s New Jersey as that is a high pick but I doubt they would be willing to do that.

As far as having a veteran to fall back on… I would be comfortable with Vladar in that role. It sounds unfair as I write this but Vladar could be a bit of a sacrificial lamb next season. The starts and stretches that Wolf gets next year could be tailored to his proper development while Vladar gets the rest of the games. That still could lead to Vladar getting more games than Wolf. If Vladar does well, that’s great. He and Wolf could make a great tandem and the flames could potentially keep both of them to trade Bladar at the deadline for a decent return.
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 12:35 PM   #146
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Go sign a Cam Talbot, James Reimer, Martin Jones type if you want a veteran guy who's been through it all. You don't need a $6m goalie to be a mentor, particularly if you can get value for him
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2024, 12:40 PM   #147
Ba'alzamon
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Go sign a Cam Talbot, James Reimer, Martin Jones type if you want a veteran guy who's been through it all. You don't need a $6m goalie to be a mentor, particularly if you can get value for him
None of those guys is stable, though. Except maybe Talbot.
Ba'alzamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 12:48 PM   #148
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
None of those guys is stable, though. Except maybe Talbot.
Markstrom has rotated between good and bad years in Calgary. He's been stable 'good' this year. Last year he was bad - although I guess stable.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 12:50 PM   #149
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Agreed we should trade Markstrom and sign a 1B for next year as a mentor, but let's avoid Reimer who seems to wear out his welcome (not sure how he received in the room, but I would suspect that his personal politics prevent him from fully integrating with the team).

Talbot would be great. Quick would have been great but he appears set in NYR. DeSmith? Stolarz? Rittich? Driedger?
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 12:52 PM   #150
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Markstrom has rotated between good and bad years in Calgary. He's been stable 'good' this year. Last year he was bad - although I guess stable.
This is another reason they should consider trading him coming off a good season. There's a chance bad Markstrom appears next season.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 01:22 PM   #151
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

My vote is for Vladar & Wolf splitting the season. I still believe Vladar can play his way into that steady 1B role in time, and IMO, this team has the time to let that play out.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 01:31 PM   #152
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

If it helps at all, I dumped Markstrom in my NHL24 franchise, and went with Vladar/Wolf right out of the gate to start this season. They were 80 and 79 respectively at the start and both finished that way too... but during the offseason, Wolf jumped up to an 85 while Vladar stayed at 80. Wolf is now among the top 5 in wins.

So... essentially what I'm saying is that this is unequivocal evidence that we should indeed move on from Markstrom, because Wolf is going to jump up to an NHL starting goalie rating this offseason, and I fully expect him to jump into the 90s (or elite goaltender status) in the following offseason.

This is the way. NHL24 has decreed it.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2024, 02:05 PM   #153
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Good point.
I guess it doesn't have to be Wolf/Markstrom or Wolf/Vladar.

I think a lot will depend on whether management/ownership wants to be a playoff team next year or are realistic that it's likely a rebuild year. They probably keep Markstrom if they think they're a playoff roster.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 02:41 PM   #154
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Agree.

Keep Markstrom - Vladar is a 3.08/.893 goalie across 66 starts.

You can always trade Markstrom - much less chance Vladar suddenly becomes not the worst goalie in the league.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2024, 02:51 PM   #155
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
His first "bad" year was when he came back too soon from injury. The bookends of that injury were actually very good in that season. His career has had a total of one actual bad season.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 03:43 PM   #156
Lewis_D
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
If it helps at all, I dumped Markstrom in my NHL24 franchise, and went with Vladar/Wolf right out of the gate to start this season. They were 80 and 79 respectively at the start and both finished that way too... but during the offseason, Wolf jumped up to an 85 while Vladar stayed at 80. Wolf is now among the top 5 in wins.

So... essentially what I'm saying is that this is unequivocal evidence that we should indeed move on from Markstrom, because Wolf is going to jump up to an NHL starting goalie rating this offseason, and I fully expect him to jump into the 90s (or elite goaltender status) in the following offseason.

This is the way. NHL24 has decreed it.
What was the return on Markstrom? Asking so I can post it as a serious proposal in the trade rumours & speculation thread.
Lewis_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 08:31 PM   #157
Tuco
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Woflie gives me Marty Turco vibes..
Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 12:01 AM   #158
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis_D View Post
What was the return on Markstrom? Asking so I can post it as a serious proposal in the trade rumours & speculation thread.
I just edited the rosters and dumped him to free agency. I can't trade or manage lineups at all in Be a Pro mode, and I wanted to make sure Wolf was with the big club right at the start.

I just finished my second season (I'm playing a C/RW) and Wolf is now an 88 after winning the Vezina and Jennings!

(lol, but also awesome)
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2024, 12:10 AM   #159
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think its really fair to Vladar to look at his numbers when he gets one start every 3 weeks
Old 03-26-2024, 06:37 AM   #160
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
I don't think its really fair to Vladar to look at his numbers when he gets one start every 3 weeks
It's not fair to judge him based on the results of his play? What?

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
Hockey-and_stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockey-and_stuff For This Useful Post: