Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 04:06 PM   #6861
Oilers93
Lifetime Suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Cam Talbot got you to the second round.
It definitely wasn't all Talbot. A healthy Kelfbom, the addition of Larsson, and the chemistry between Russell and Sekera was huge. They made it easy for Talbot most nights.

If it was JUST Talbot then we would've finished higher than 2nd last in 2015-2016.
Old 06-24-2017, 04:08 PM   #6862
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure what playoffs you watched but without Talbot the sharks take the oil out in the first round.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Dan02 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2017, 04:10 PM   #6863
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers93 View Post
It definitely wasn't all Talbot. A healthy Kelfbom, the addition of Larsson, and the chemistry between Russell and Sekera was huge. They made it easy for Talbot most nights.

If it was JUST Talbot then we would've finished higher than 2nd last in 2015-2016.
LMAO, ok. I didn't say anything about 2015-16. Talbot played like he was possessed last season and had he not the Oilers very well could have missed the playoffs again.
The Following User Says Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2017, 04:11 PM   #6864
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Cam Talbot got you to the second round.
Until Kesler sat on him.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 06-24-2017, 04:15 PM   #6865
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robaur View Post
Can someone explain to me the cap problems that the Oilers have. I went on Cap-friendly and they have $20m cap space for this year and practically only Draisaitl to sign.

Next year, they have 9 players signed with $38.675m cap space...but their top 4 D is set for the long term.

Let's give Draisaitl $8m and that leaves $30.675m...and give McDavid $12m, that leaves $18.675m...to fill out a team that features:

Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl
Lucic-RNH-XXX (Puljujarvi?)
Pouliot-Letestu-XXX
XXX-XXX-XXX

Klefbom-Sekera
Russell-Larsson
XXX-XXX

Talbot
XXX

$18.675m for 10 players....$1.8675m per player average. The Oilers had 7 players not named McDavid who made less than $1m on the roster this year.

This is with Pouliot and his $4m coming off the books after this upcoming year. I just dont see the 'cap hell' or 'cap crunch' .......but I'm no expert in this...

Anyone care to elaborate?
Lets say 58 million this year right now, so they have to sign Draisaitl and Kassian. Draisaitl at 8 and Kassian at 2.5 so that's 10.5 million in total so we're at 68.5 which leaves 6.5 million. Which is fine, except with Sekeras out that leaves them with 5 defenseman since I don't think that Fayne is NHL quality anymore. IF JP comes up and he wasn't the epiphany that they thought he'd be, he would take about 3.45 in cap space, so now your down to 3 million. so right now they're really out of the free agent game unless they deal a guy like Nuge.

Next year they have McDavid, Strome, Slepyshev, Caggiula, Pakarrien, Nurse, Nurse, Benning and Broissent as their RFA's. Maroon is a UFA, as well loose Fayne as well. subtract those contracts and you sit at about 48.5 with the additions of Kassian and Draisaitl's contract.

So then McDavid gets 12, Strome if he's moderately successful gets lets say 3.5, Slepyshe, Caggiula, Pakarrien all lets say tread water get a million and a half each, Nurse jumps up to 3, Benning does well and gets three and Broissoit doesn't play much or another back up comes away at 1.5.

So add 27.5 so now you're at about 75 million, and Maroon needs to be replaced, and a guy like Letestu who's a UFA right now.

In otherwords for the Oilers to stay under the cap, they have to hope that nobody that's coming up for a contract has a good or breakout season, they can't sign free agents as well. They also have to pray that JP isn't good because he becomes a RFA the year after that.

I would expect that the Oilers are still going to have to dump RNH to have any kind of cap flexibility which makes them a really thin team. They could also have to move Poulliot or buy him out or try to move Lucic.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2017, 04:19 PM   #6866
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

So you're attributing the difference to Larsson and Russell instead of mcdavid missing half the season?
The Following User Says Thank You to iloveicedhockey For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2017, 04:19 PM   #6867
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

Cam Talbot saw more rubber then a singapore prostitute on fleet night.

Were the Oilers blueliners better then the year before? Sure, but that's not saying much, but the Oilers basically relied on Talbot and his 924 svpct and his ability to make the hard saves when they were out chasing butterflys.

He was the primary reason for your improvement, Larsson helped.

Without Talbot in the first round last year, the Oilers are done, he played superman. In the second round, The Ducks pretty much played the Oilers defense like they were 12 year olds.

Talbot saw more shots against then any goalie in the league. Basically the Oilers blueliners leaned against the boards and talked about what they saw on netflix last night while Talbot bailed them out.

Also the season before last it took 12.04 shots to get a goal on Talbot, last year it was almost 12.4.

90% of the credit for the Oilers ga improvements are on your goalie.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 06-24-2017 at 04:25 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2017, 04:31 PM   #6868
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That D corps got us to the 2nd round of the playoffs.. lol

That D corps has nothing to do with the minor success you had. McDavid + Talbot are the reason. Give me one example where the D stole you guys a win. I reiterate, the Oilers will have no major success with that top 4.
Old 06-24-2017, 04:32 PM   #6869
Realistic
Backup Goalie

Exp:

The Oilers weren't even trying last year in the regular season according to their delusional fans and the only reason they lost the cup was because of the referees and the unfair treatment they constantly receive! Doesn't that ring a bell, is Gretzky giving the team and fans "whining" lessons or advising or whatever is doing up there?

He better be working really hard this summer coming up with excuses when they don't "sweep" the Flames and don't don't win the cup and begin yet another rebuild! How long will the fans be amused by the shiny new building that is already falling apart.
Old 06-24-2017, 05:27 PM   #6870
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hey CC no way Dry Saddle gets 8 E=NG but 8,common that's not happening.
Old 06-24-2017, 05:33 PM   #6871
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Talbot saw more shots against then any goalie in the league. Basically the Oilers blueliners leaned against the boards and talked about what they saw on netflix last night while Talbot bailed them out.
Oilers were 9th in the league in shots against.
Old 06-24-2017, 05:51 PM   #6872
Realistic
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
Do you think he's getting more? And if so how much more?
Old 06-24-2017, 06:00 PM   #6873
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
8 isn't really out of the realm of possibility.

His stats over his ELC were very similar to Tarasenko's. On his ELC, Tarasenko had 135 points in 179 games plus 11 points in 13 playoff games. On his ELC, Draisaitl had 137 points in 191 games plus 16 points in 13 playoff games.

Two years ago, Tarasenko signed his second contract with a cap hit of 7.5 million for 8 years. When you factor in the growth of the cap, an equivalent contract this year is about $7.88 million.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:00 PM   #6874
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
Oilers were 9th in the league in shots against.
He faced the most shots though at 2117. Andersen was next with 2052.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/leag...7_goalies.html
Old 06-24-2017, 06:12 PM   #6875
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He faced the most shots though at 2117. Andersen was next with 2052.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/leag...7_goalies.html
Yeah, because he played the most games.

I've seen a couple posters equate Talbot facing the most shots, with the Oilers giving up a lot of shots, and it's just plain wrong.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:15 PM   #6876
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
8 isn't really out of the realm of possibility.
I guess time will tell but I'm guessing 6.8 X 6 but if The Oil want to pay him 8 who am I to question Oiler management wisdom.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:40 PM   #6877
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I've seen a couple posters equate Talbot facing the most shots, with the Oilers giving up a lot of shots, and it's just plain wrong.
Yeah.
'We' sound like a bunch of idiots when 'we' keep spouting nonsense like that.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:52 PM   #6878
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The shot totals are low because the Oilers block a lot of shots, which means they don't have the puck more than they do have it. Their Corsi against and CA/60 is in the bottom half of the league. The team results were propped up by Talbot's outstanding play. Better hope he doesn't regress because you haven't improved your defense. At all.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:55 PM   #6879
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Talbot is still carrying this team in two years one has to wonder if his agent is going to demand he's at least the 2nd highest paid player on the team?
Old 06-24-2017, 07:00 PM   #6880
Lanny'sDaMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
If Talbot is still carrying this team in two years one has to wonder if his agent is going to demand he's at least the 2nd highest paid player on the team?
If Talbot continues to play like the love child of Price and Kipper, he'll have earned that right.
Closed Thread