Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2015, 12:36 PM   #121
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Want to make a genuine reduction in the number of kids struck by cars? Prohibit parents from driving their kids to school if they live within 5 blocks. By far the biggest ####-show around schools is the morning and afternoon traffic-jam.
This, so much this. I had to drive my kid to elementary twice because he had some big ass project thing to bring in, and I swear I was ready to kill every minivan driving soccer mom. We're lucky that our kids are walking distance to every school through grade 12, but what the hell do I do if one of this bozos runs my kid over because their precious crotch fruit can't bear to walk 3 blocks?

I'm basically relieved of ever going near the school in a car because my wife figures I'll just snap.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2015, 12:54 PM   #122
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwd View Post
Why do people keep saying this? People, how do you drive like this?

You take your foot off the gas before the sign, briefly glance at the spedometer to make sure you're going 30, hold your speed until the pass the sign, speed up and take a brief glance when you reach 50.
You ever watch Canada's Worst Driver? Apparently getting to and maintaining a speed is actually difficult for people. There are folks on that program who, when faced with a task that requires a certain speed and something else...have to have their passenger watch their speed for them, because they can't and perform the 'other' part of the task at the same time.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 12:57 PM   #123
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

QED. Everyone on that show should not be driving.

If you can't maintain a speed without staring at the spedometer, ditch your car and rely on public transit.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 01:27 PM   #124
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
but I do know that it said there hasn't been a speed related pedestrian collision in a school or playground zone in Calgary in 20+ years.
I must not be understanding this, because this fall there was this one: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...sion-1.2802775
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedHot25 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2015, 01:57 PM   #125
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Someone dug up the stats on Beyond when this discussion first came up last year. I'll try to find it, but I do know that it said there hasn't been a speed related pedestrian collision in a school or playground zone in Calgary in 20+ years.
So the laws seem to be keeping people safe, and people want to get rid of them or get mad when they are standardized for ease of understanding?
Old 08-29-2015, 03:25 PM   #126
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHot25 View Post
I must not be understanding this, because this fall there was this one: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...sion-1.2802775
My bad, meant to say fatalities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
So the laws seem to be keeping people safe, and people want to get rid of them or get mad when they are standardized for ease of understanding?
Standardized? This system is about the furthest from standard as you can get. I guess I view it more as 'if it isn't broken, don't waste money to try and fix it'

Last edited by btimbit; 08-29-2015 at 03:31 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 03:57 PM   #127
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Standardized? This system is about the furthest from standard as you can get. I guess I view it more as 'if it isn't broken, don't waste money to try and fix it'
Sorry, I guess I was unclear.

Standardizing the times and days that these speed limits are in effect, making for easier understanding.

I am also confused why you don't think the system is broken, yet you claim that we should be following examples of other cities that don't even have these laws.

Last edited by Rathji; 08-29-2015 at 03:59 PM.
Rathji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 05:11 PM   #128
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

The comparison I'd like to see is the per capita number of car accidents involving children in Calgary versus Edmonton (or any other city where playground/school zones aren't as widespread).

I imagine there's no material difference, but I'm unsure where one would find these statistics.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 08:04 PM   #129
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Want to make a genuine reduction in the number of kids struck by cars? Prohibit parents from driving their kids to school if they live within 5 blocks. By far the biggest ####-show around schools is the morning and afternoon traffic-jam.
Even if they made that against the law, I would do it anyway. I live approximately 5 blocks away and I'm not walking my kid to school, walking home and then driving to work, that's way too rushed for me and I'm not dropping my kid off at school early so I can get to work on time either. My shift typically starts at the exact time school starts (9am) so I'm going to do it all in one trip because it's convenient, I don't really care how congested the parking lot/road gets for half an hour.

I suspect other parents have similar issues and don't all drive because they're lazy.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 09:10 PM   #130
chubeyr1
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Love this thread!

Great humor!

Lets install permanent photo radar stands in all these playground and school zones. New Arena will be paid for in a year, in my area alone.

Personally for me school zones and playground zones are a waste of time. I am a alert driver. If there are tons of kids around I slow down regardless of the speed limit. Doesn't have to be kids, adults do some pretty stupid stuff too.

What we need is the police handing out dangerous driving tickets all thru out the city instead of cash grabs like photo radar. I mean I can be driving at 3 million kph, get a massive photo radar ticket and still have a license tomorrow, sure maybe a court appearance and have a judge talk down to me, but he cant do nothing cause he cant prove I was driving! City streets are safer lol! Actually the more money you have the more you can break the law. You just have to pay for the right! Its how the legal system works!

Speed kills? No, it does not! Speed merging into traffic under the limit by 40k causes probably more accidents than merging into traffic 40k over the limit ( which causes accidents too ). What kills is bad drivers.
chubeyr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chubeyr1 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2015, 10:29 PM   #131
tremorchrist
Backup Goalie

Exp:

As soon as I exit the zone, I just speed up to 70 for 30 seconds to recapture the lost time.
tremorchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tremorchrist For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2015, 10:32 PM   #132
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ lol
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 10:34 PM   #133
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

The amount of them is asinine to me but I do appreciate them simplifying it and merging them together.
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:26 AM   #134
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire of the Phoenix View Post
I suspect other parents have similar issues and don't all drive because they're lazy.
Time is no doubt an issue. But how many of those cars are dropping off kids who are able to walk on their own? By the age of 8 or 9, kids are capable of walking to school by themselves.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 12:31 PM   #135
Dagger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Is there data on the amount of accidents that occur(ed) prior to, and after adding these zones?
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 01:20 PM   #136
Methanolic
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

at the risk of getting piled on, I think the plan is over the top and unnecessary. the system in place works fine and I don't get the whole "confusion" thing.
Methanolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:46 PM   #137
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methanolic View Post
The system in place works fine and I don't get the whole "confusion" thing.
Let's setup a poll and ask "What is the speed limit in school zones on September 25th?". I bet the majority of people are wrong. (hint: it's a PD day, so no school).
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:49 PM   #138
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
Let's setup a poll and ask "What is the speed limit in school zones on September 25th?". I bet the majority of people are wrong. (hint: it's a PD day, so no school).
For what school system?
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RedHot25 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2015, 01:40 PM   #139
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

I sometimes have problems telling what day of the week today is. Wish all traffic signs including school and playground zones are enforced 24/7/365 so I don't have to think and to avoid confusion.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 02:20 PM   #140
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

The City should make some money by selling 'Playground Zone Exemption Passes.'

It could be a really shiny pass that you hang on your mirror so everyone can see it and then you could blow through Playground Zones with impunity!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote