Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2015, 09:41 AM   #101
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good to see the city finding solutions to problems that don't exist.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:48 AM   #102
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

This is idiotic.

Calgary is the only city I've driven in where playground and school zones are as common as they are. They are utilized as a traffic calming measure by community associations rather than as genuine safety measures. There needs to be a serious rationalization of the number of these zones in the city.

These are the government of Alberta guidelines for the establishment of playground and school zones:
Quote:
School Zones (reduced speed limits near schools) are generally discouraged along “walk‐to‐school routes” away from the school vicinity, and on roadways where any of the following conditions exist:
-School is located on an arterial road or expressway / freeway;
-School grounds are fully fenced;
-School is located an appreciable distance from the roadway;
-The roadway does not have a school entrance; and
-The length of the school frontage is minimal (e.g. less than 50 metres).

Playground Zones (reduced speed limits near playgrounds) are generally discouraged along roadways where any of the following conditions exist:
-Playground is located on an arterial roadway or expressway / freeway
-Playground or field is fully fenced##
-Playground is located an appreciable distance from the roadway
-The Playground entrance is not located along the subject roadway

Playground Zones should be avoided on higher roadway classifications. They can appear to motorists as contradicting the roadway function, and hence may be unexpected and disrespected. They can sometimes provide children and parents a false sense of security on a potentially hazardous roadway.
I would say that a significant percentage of zones within Calgary do not meet these guidelines.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Zarley For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2015, 01:55 PM   #103
Philly06Cup
Closet Jedi

Exp:

Tyranny of the minority. Small community associations ask for school/playground zones in their neighborhood. They are organized and dedicated to their cause, and get what they want. The majority are spread out, disorganized, and complain on the internet.
Old 08-22-2015, 03:36 PM   #104
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there a compromise where the police move the green light cameras/red light cameras into these school/playground zones and remove them from random intersections and roads?

- Police get their cash
- Police can patrol more reasonable areas rather than sit in school/playground zones for no reason. People don't need to scan for cops in these zones and can focus on looking at other things like maybe the random one kid once every 400 days.
- People actually seem to slow down for these darn cameras, so perhaps speeding occurs less in these zones.
- People don't stop and freeze up because they are scared to roll the red light (and get a ticket) on a right turn in an intersection where there is a red light camera

We don't need these stupid cameras down town especially.

I by far hate the Dalhousie drive one by Dalhousie station. Always some cop there too. The damn sign is always covered by trees, no idea where the playground is, so it's easy to miss. Trim the tree by the sign at least!

Last edited by DoubleF; 08-22-2015 at 03:39 PM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:44 AM   #105
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I by far hate the Dalhousie drive one by Dalhousie station. Always some cop there too. The damn sign is always covered by trees, no idea where the playground is, so it's easy to miss. Trim the tree by the sign at least!
There used to be a playground there, but it has been removed. I actually opened up this thread to ask if there is any precedent to getting a playground zone removed. That playground is gone, seems like the playground zone could be too.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2015, 08:46 AM   #106
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

With videogames and the internet, we shouldn't even have playgrounds anymore.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2015, 09:26 AM   #107
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
This is idiotic.

Calgary is the only city I've driven in where playground and school zones are as common as they are. They are utilized as a traffic calming measure by community associations rather than as genuine safety measures. There needs to be a serious rationalization of the number of these zones in the city.

These are the government of Alberta guidelines for the establishment of playground and school zones:

I would say that a significant percentage of zones within Calgary do not meet these guidelines.
What is the difference between traffic calming and genuine safety measures? One type of slow zone, enforced the same make sense. If there are current playground zones where you can't even find the playground, fine make a move to remove those. The Elbow drive playground was mentioned and it is a bit of a gear grinder (along with the 40 zone, where basically any other residential street is defaulted at 50), but my understanding is that there was in fact a fatality there. Perhaps a knee-jerk reaction to institute a playground zone, but the motivation was not about taking cash out of citizens' pockets.

Kids hang out at schools. Kids are dumb. Schools are generally in residential neighbourhoods. Slow down for dumb kids in residential neighbourhoods. No biggie.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:29 AM   #108
HartAttack
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Nothing worse than driving 30 km/h past a dark and deserted playground zone at 6pm in the winter. NOTHING WORSE!!!!!
HartAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:35 AM   #109
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HartAttack View Post
Nothing worse than driving 30 km/h past a dark and deserted playground zone at 6pm in the winter. NOTHING WORSE!!!!!
Except for hitting the kid that you didn't expect to be there in the playground zone...

that would probably be worse.

Last edited by para transit fellow; 08-28-2015 at 09:38 AM.
para transit fellow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to para transit fellow For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2015, 09:37 AM   #110
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HartAttack View Post
Yes, nothing, I can't think of anything that is worse......
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:47 AM   #111
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HartAttack
How about going through a dark, deserted playground (4 of them actually) at 6:45-7am during your morning commute and having to go 30 through all of it because the dude in front of you thinks they're in effect 24/7 apparently.

I deal with that basically every day (I live in an area with a very large retiree population. They're all up at the crack of dawn and on the roads with nowhere to go and no hurry to get there). Drives me nuts.

Posted from Calgarypuck.com App for Android
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:08 AM   #112
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Want to make a genuine reduction in the number of kids struck by cars? Prohibit parents from driving their kids to school if they live within 5 blocks. By far the biggest ####-show around schools is the morning and afternoon traffic-jam.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2015, 10:08 AM   #113
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
There used to be a playground there, but it has been removed. I actually opened up this thread to ask if there is any precedent to getting a playground zone removed. That playground is gone, seems like the playground zone could be too.

I sent in a 311 request online asking they consider removing this playground zone (Dalhousie Dr near the LRT station) as there is no playground or school.

https://311online.calgary.ca/pdcsrwe...t.mvc/SRIntake

Maybe if enough people do that they'll listen.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:10 AM   #114
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Want to make a genuine reduction in the number of kids struck by cars? Prohibit parents from driving their kids to school if they live within 5 blocks. By far the biggest ####-show around schools is the morning and afternoon traffic-jam.

wait why are kids fat?
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:20 AM   #115
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
wait why are kids fat?
Cause they get driven to school.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 04:08 PM   #116
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
Good way to simplify the system. Only one type of 30 km/h zone, effective 365 days a year, from 7:30 to 21:00.
I find it incredibly stupid to set the same hard cutoff time all year round. It's way too late for the dead of winter when it has been dark for hours with no kids to be seen and way too early for July when it is still going to be light for hours with kids still playing.
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 04:20 PM   #117
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, maybe they should have 2 zone times that coincide with DST changes, so you don't have to worry about remembering specific date.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 09:37 AM   #118
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
So the speed limit should just be 50km/hr and we should have no school or playground zones?
What are the accident rates for school / playground zones? Do they actually prevent accidents? Are drivers actually even more distracted by craning their heads around for cops, looking at speedometers and huge flashing distractions?

This was one of the only pieces that I could actually find that listed something (no stats for Calgary either), which said roughly 5 people between 97-99 in Edmonton were hit in potential school zones and their ages weren't listed, nor time of day.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 10:14 AM   #119
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Someone dug up the stats on Beyond when this discussion first came up last year. I'll try to find it, but I do know that it said there hasn't been a speed related pedestrian collision in a school or playground zone in Calgary in 20+ years.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2015, 10:49 AM   #120
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
What are the accident rates for school / playground zones? Do they actually prevent accidents? Are drivers actually even more distracted by craning their heads around for cops, looking at speedometers and huge flashing distractions?
Why do people keep saying this? People, how do you drive like this?

You take your foot off the gas before the sign, briefly glance at the spedometer to make sure you're going 30, hold your speed until the pass the sign, speed up and take a brief glance when you reach 50.

If you're really super paranoid about a cop being everywhere or flashing lights are a huge distraction to you, you really shouldn't own a car.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to craigwd For This Useful Post: