Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 05:43 PM   #261
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanda View Post
does this teams management really feel like 1 off-season is a good rebuild?

The team seems to have been in win-now mode the entire time, dating back to drafting Monohan (We need a player who can play in the NHL next season)... why?

Cant we suck for 2-5 years and then go into win-now mode?

Very frustrating that they would make a short-sighted move to bandage the Giordano injury when we could have promoted from within.
Short sighted?
Ladislav Smid is signed for three more seasons after this one and is only 27 years old. Completely blowing up your team is not the only way to rebuild a franchise. If anything your post is short sighted.

We traded two depth prospects for a legitimate top four defender who will be here for the foreseeable future. He could very well be apart of the solution in turning things around, and if not can be traded for assets down the road.

We took advantage of a team looking to free up cap space. Not many teams are positioned to do so. Great job here by Flames management.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to HighLifeMan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2013, 05:44 PM   #262
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The team seems to have been in win-now mode the entire time, dating back to drafting Monohan (We need a player who can play in the NHL next season)... why?

Very frustrating that they would make a short-sighted move to bandage the Giordano injury when we could have promoted from within.
When you're given something decent for practically free, you do it. When you're trading your 4th best goalie prospect and 12th best forward prospect for a good #4 defenseman that's on the right side of 30, it's a good trade.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
The Following User Says Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2013, 05:44 PM   #263
BBQorMILDEW
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I hate Edmonton
Old 11-08-2013, 05:44 PM   #264
EYE_Overstand
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Without a doubt ... Flames got a whole lot better... Smid - Gio - wideman - Brodie is a great top 4 (in a rebuilding transition)... Obrien has been good... Butler and smith are whatever ... And russle has been fine....
Old 11-08-2013, 05:44 PM   #265
cowtown75
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Smid hits a lot- I like that. Hitting good.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:45 PM   #266
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

Seriously the guy is 27 its not like he's a 32 year old goalie. He's a top 4 guy at a relatively young age and we got him for Horak who had dropped way down on the depth chart and for Broissent who was in an overflow position.

This is not the aborting of the rebuild for a win now trade. Its a trade that addresses a position where we have a depth problem and lost one of of best defensemen to long term injury.

Just because your doing a rebuild doesn't mean when an opportunity comes along to get a relatively young guy for pieces.

Some people are getting way way too enamored with prospects because of their age.

This is a solid move, and we can always flip Smid later on if need be his decent contract and age and teams want for defensive defensemen makes him a good asset.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:45 PM   #267
dieHARDflameZ
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really don't mind this trade at all.

Smid is a heart and soul guy along the same lines of Giordano, blocks a ton of shots, and lays it all on the line. He is a legitimate NHL'er and addresses a need, plain and simple.

It's sad to see Brossoit go, but goalies are a complete crap-shoot. I truly believe Gillies is the goalie of the future, and until then, I have no issues running with Ramo, Berra and Ortio.

Horak wasn't looking like he'd amount to much more than a third or fourth liner, and he has been given the opportunities to show otherwise.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:46 PM   #268
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

The funny thing is why on earth would the oil want another small forward? Wonder if they asked for a guy like Hanowski?
The Following User Says Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2013, 05:47 PM   #269
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames definitely win this trade for the now.

The Flames management probably watched Billins last night and knew they desperately needed to get a lot bigger on D. Smid definitely fits that. Not only is he big but he plays big. He does take a lot of dumb penalties at times.

I never had high hopes that Brossoit would be a good NHL goalie. Gillies and Ortio were ahead of him in the depth chart in any case. I think Roy was just throw in to even out the contracts. I wouldn't be surprised if the Flames didn't re-sign him next season.

Horak will probably be a future bottom 6 guy in the NHL, but doesn't have the offensive skills to be more than that.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:47 PM   #270
Jakester
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Defense pairings going forward?

Without Giordano:
Smid-Brodie
Wideman-Russell
O'Brien-Butler

With Giordano
Giordano-Brodie
Smid-Wideman
Russell-O'Brien/Butler

Last edited by Jakester; 11-08-2013 at 05:50 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jakester For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2013, 05:47 PM   #271
Reign of Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

So who got the better goalie prospect. I see Oilver was drafted in the fifth, while Brossoit in the sixth...but I don't think that matters
Old 11-08-2013, 05:47 PM   #272
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great trade for the Flames! Holy smokes, this is all win. The move is essentially Horak for Smid as the two goaltenders are a wash. That's a massive win for Calgary. A top four defenseman for a depth player who was trapped in theAHL. The Flames might also get the edge on the goaltending side from a skill level, but the Oilers score a fan favorite from the Oil Barons, so that will but them more good will with the yokels. Win for the good guys! Another loss for the Oilers!
Old 11-08-2013, 05:47 PM   #273
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Seriously the guy is 27 its not like he's a 32 year old goalie. He's a top 4 guy at a relatively young age and we got him for Horak who had dropped way down on the depth chart and for Broissent who was in an overflow position.

This is not the aborting of the rebuild for a win now trade. Its a trade that addresses a position where we have a depth problem and lost one of of best defensemen to long term injury.

Just because your doing a rebuild doesn't mean when an opportunity comes along to get a relatively young guy for pieces.

Some people are getting way way too enamored with prospects because of their age.

This is a solid move, and we can always flip Smid later on if need be his decent contract and age and teams want for defensive defensemen makes him a good asset.
Hell, if the Flames wanted they could probably flip Smid towards the deadline for more then Horak and Brossoit.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2013, 05:48 PM   #274
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I absolutely love this trade. We got a solid D-man for next to nothing. Even better, the Oilers shoot themselves in the foot.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2013, 05:50 PM   #275
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

Another Flames and Oiler trade, jeebus.

Another Giordano, and a mentor for Brodie.

Well done, Feaster.

Last edited by ricosuave; 11-08-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:51 PM   #276
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm pretty happy with this Deal.

I think this feels a need for the Flames.
Smid is a really nice upgrade for the 3rd pair once Gio comes back.

Horak was quickly being passed by in the depth chart, and I don't put allot of stock in weather a goalie prospect is rated higher or lower, so I think Brossoit for Roy is a push.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:51 PM   #277
Gondi Stylez
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Love the deal! Keep it coming!
Old 11-08-2013, 05:53 PM   #278
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Smid isn't a legit top 4 on a good, or play-off, team but is an upgrade over Butler and SOB so I guess he improves the team there. He is way overpaid but who cares about the cap now since we shouldn't be near the top anyways.

Horak is similar in that he really isn't good enough to play top 9 for a good team but can fill in on poor teams.

I say fairly even deal in that nobody really gets anything great and kind of a meh forward for meh defenseman but since it sounds like the Oilers did this to clear space for signing Bryz and you a. should never sign Bryz and b. definitely not clear space to sign him it is a clear loss for the Oilers.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:54 PM   #279
Ring of Fire
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign of Fire View Post
So who got the better goalie prospect. I see Oilver was drafted in the fifth, while Brossoit in the sixth...but I don't think that matters
Broissoit definitely has more upside and is younger, but goalies are a crapshoot.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:54 PM   #280
LickTheEnvelope
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm not really impressed with Feaster but I am impressed with the personnel in Calgary. I think they can improve Smid's game even a bit more than he is at currently. I think he'll be a great fit for you gentlemen.
Closed Thread