Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2011, 03:31 PM   #1
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:
Default Thinking about buying Drums

This is related to the guitar thread. I am thinking of buying an electronic drum set. It pretty much has to be electronic as I plan on living in apartments for the next 5 years. I have taken about 2 months of lessons, and practiced on and off on a couple drum pads I bought. I feel that I would really like to hear what I am playing, even if it’s with ear phones on an electronic drum set.

Does anyone have any tips on style, price limitations, brands, stores, etc?

Thank you!

Kavy
Kavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:03 PM   #2
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Buy a regular drum kit. Just make sure you only use them between 8-11 and you're fine.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:12 PM   #3
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sound proof the room where you will be playing.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:24 PM   #4
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
Buy a regular drum kit. Just make sure you only use them between 8-11 and you're fine.
lol, this is totally incorrect.

Calgary Noise Bylaws - http://content.calgary.ca/CCA/City+H...rest/Noise.htm

Quote:
  • Noise can include, but is not limited to, yelling, shouting, loud music, horns, power tools and air conditioners.
  • You have the right not to be disturbed by noise.
  • You have the responsibility to not make noise that disturbs others.
If any other tenants can hear the drums, he can be fined for playing them. You have the right to enjoy your property, and if someone is making excessive noise from playing drums, you can file complaints.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Esoteric For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2011, 04:26 PM   #5
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Buy a real drum kit and then buy the silencer pads. They go over the drum head and cancel out most of the sound.

An electric kit will still make quite a bit of noise.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 3 Justin 3 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2011, 04:42 PM   #6
THE SCUD
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavy View Post
This is related to the guitar thread. I am thinking of buying an electronic drum set. It pretty much has to be electronic as I plan on living in apartments for the next 5 years. I have taken about 2 months of lessons, and practiced on and off on a couple drum pads I bought. I feel that I would really like to hear what I am playing, even if it’s with ear phones on an electronic drum set.

Does anyone have any tips on style, price limitations, brands, stores, etc?

Thank you!

Kavy
THE SCUD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to THE SCUD For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2011, 05:05 PM   #7
Jawbone Hill
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Drums in an apartment isn't just a noise concern... it's probably also a space concern. I've got a Roland HD-1 for my apartment and while it isn't perfect, it works great for me in terms of having a small footprint and allowing me silent practice.

Things to think about when looking for an electronic set in an apartment:
- The biggest source of noise with an electronic drum set is the 'clacking' of hitting rubber pads with drumsticks. If you can afford getting a drum kit with all mesh heads (as opposed to rubber pads), do it.
- The next biggest source of noise (and vibration) would be hitting the kick drum trigger with your pedal. The Roland HD-1 has a different mechanism which eliminates this vibration, but the mechanics aren't quite the same as an actual kick drum (pretty close, but might feel weird if you're just starting out). I've seen people build drum risers out of plywood and tennis balls... it sounds a bit weird, but apparently it will pretty much eliminate any vibrations travelling through the floor into someone else's unit!
- Almost all of Roland's kits (with the exception of the HD-1) are upgradeable. This means you could buy a cheap, used kit with rubber pads and then upgrade them over the years through individual pad purchases. Roland equipment is surprisingly robust, so you're usually in good hands buying used.
- Make sure you try it out in-store before bringing it home (especially the HD-1)! An electronic kit, while great for practice, is still different than having a full-on acoustic kit. It will feel a bit weird at first, so make sure you know what you're getting into before you spend a lot of money!

Finally, a good forum I've used for electronic drum info is www.vdrums.com. They have a Roland slant, but for the most part the posters on there are very knowledgable and willing to help out!

Good luck!
Jawbone Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jawbone Hill For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2011, 05:11 PM   #8
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawbone Hill View Post
Drums in an apartment isn't just a noise concern... it's probably also a space concern. I've got a Roland HD-1 for my apartment and while it isn't perfect, it works great for me in terms of having a small footprint and allowing me silent practice.

Things to think about when looking for an electronic set in an apartment:
- The biggest source of noise with an electronic drum set is the 'clacking' of hitting rubber pads with drumsticks. If you can afford getting a drum kit with all mesh heads (as opposed to rubber pads), do it.
- The next biggest source of noise (and vibration) would be hitting the kick drum trigger with your pedal. The Roland HD-1 has a different mechanism which eliminates this vibration, but the mechanics aren't quite the same as an actual kick drum (pretty close, but might feel weird if you're just starting out). I've seen people build drum risers out of plywood and tennis balls... it sounds a bit weird, but apparently it will pretty much eliminate any vibrations travelling through the floor into someone else's unit!
- Almost all of Roland's kits (with the exception of the HD-1) are upgradeable. This means you could buy a cheap, used kit with rubber pads and then upgrade them over the years through individual pad purchases. Roland equipment is surprisingly robust, so you're usually in good hands buying used.
- Make sure you try it out in-store before bringing it home (especially the HD-1)! An electronic kit, while great for practice, is still different than having a full-on acoustic kit. It will feel a bit weird at first, so make sure you know what you're getting into before you spend a lot of money!

Finally, a good forum I've used for electronic drum info is www.vdrums.com. They have a Roland slant, but for the most part the posters on there are very knowledgable and willing to help out!

Good luck!
Thanks for all the useful info! Didn't realize the mesh would have such a big difference.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:45 PM   #9
C-Life
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have a Yamaha DTXplorer. Very good for learners and the price is fairly decent. Ran me about $1,100 a few years ago. You can find it at Long & McQuade for cheaper now, or an even better one for about the same price. You can hook computer speakers or headphones up to it. It sounds great and the triggers are pretty sensitive. It is a solid set.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/music...pl/?mode=model

Most drummers are against electronic sets, but they are a blast and you can rock the #$%^ out at any time of the night. So worth it.
C-Life is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to C-Life For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2011, 05:52 PM   #10
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Life View Post
I have a Yamaha DTXplorer. Very good for learners and the price is fairly decent. Ran me about $1,100 a few years ago. You can find it at Long & McQuade for cheaper now, or an even better one for about the same price. You can hook computer speakers or headphones up to it. It sounds great and the triggers are pretty sensitive. It is a solid set.
Thank you!

I will have to try out a mesh one and see if it is any difference in noise compared to this one.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:07 PM   #11
C-Life
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The mesh ones are far superior for sound quality, but far more expensive also. Just depends on what you're looking for and what your price range is. I would hit Long & McQuade. You can test them out and they are very helpful. They also offer payment plans and you're approved pretty much instantly. Also with the rubber ones you can bang the hell out of them drunk and not worry about breaking it.
C-Life is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to C-Life For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2011, 08:54 PM   #12
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Life View Post
The mesh ones are far superior for sound quality, but far more expensive also. Just depends on what you're looking for and what your price range is. I would hit Long & McQuade. You can test them out and they are very helpful. They also offer payment plans and you're approved pretty much instantly. Also with the rubber ones you can bang the hell out of them drunk and not worry about breaking it.
Never factored that in, even more so when people come over, and they see drums, what will they want to do.....

But if the noise is the limiting factor, I may have no choice, other then acoustic with covers.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:00 PM   #13
Shnabdabber
Account Disabled at User's Request

Exp:

Jawbone Hill's advice on the electronic drums is excellent. If this is your first kit, you may also want to check out kijiji or whatever for used acoustic kits... and use the drum pads to mute them. If you use earplugs and a set of headphones I guarantee that you will "feel and hear" every stroke you play. Plus you will always have an acoustic set.

Depends what your price range is, but if you are after an electronic kit, for sure check out Roland.
Shnabdabber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shnabdabber For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2011, 08:08 AM   #14
johnnyrocket03
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I hear there's a really good deal on a drum set that comes with the sound dampeners in the buy/sell section....
johnnyrocket03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:12 AM   #15
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocket03 View Post
I hear there's a really good deal on a drum set that comes with the sound dampeners in the buy/sell section....
For the pro acoustic drum people, I understand I can use dampers, but in an apartment, is there ever any chance I will be able to play with without the dampers? I mean even 2pm on a Saturday, they would be way to loud for my neighbors, wouldn’t they?

Where as a electronic set would have vibration issues and things, but theoretically, I should e able to pull off practicing, shouldn’t I?

Thank you Johnny, looks like a great set and deal, and would love to look at it, but it seems, for the moment, my hands are tied!
Old 07-19-2011, 11:20 AM   #16
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
lol, this is totally incorrect.

Calgary Noise Bylaws - http://content.calgary.ca/CCA/City+H...rest/Noise.htm

If any other tenants can hear the drums, he can be fined for playing them. You have the right to enjoy your property, and if someone is making excessive noise from playing drums, you can file complaints.
http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=107278

Why anyone would consider buying any sort of drums for an apartment is beyond me...
Old 07-19-2011, 11:53 AM   #17
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=107278

Why anyone would consider buying any sort of drums for an apartment is beyond me...
enjoy the instrument, have no choice but to live in an apartment.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:14 PM   #18
Jawbone Hill
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shnabdabber View Post
Jawbone Hill's advice on the electronic drums is excellent. If this is your first kit, you may also want to check out kijiji or whatever for used acoustic kits... and use the drum pads to mute them. If you use earplugs and a set of headphones I guarantee that you will "feel and hear" every stroke you play. Plus you will always have an acoustic set.

Depends what your price range is, but if you are after an electronic kit, for sure check out Roland.
I'm with Shnabdabber that you should definitely check out Kijiji for decent drum deals... I'm constantly checking it out, but I just don't have the space to upgrade my electronic kit right now! If you're looking new (and the HD-1 doesn't appeal to you... it definitely isn't the right fit for everyone), I'd suggest either the TD4 or TD9 sets. Both come with a mesh snare and either rubber or mesh toms (depending on the package you buy). I think these sets start over $1k new, though. I believe the HD-1 goes for $800. If you go used (and budget is an issue), the best kit you could probably find is either the TD3 or the entry level Yamaha. I've seen both of these sell for $500 or under on Kijiji, depending on how much the original owner has put into upgrading the various pads and cymbals. I'd avoid any 'no-name' electronic drums, as I've heard nothing but negative things about them. I'd stick with either Roland, Yamaha, or Alesis if I were you.

One thing I would suggest is trying the new sets out at either Axe Music or Long & McQuade. See if you can get used to playing on an electronic kit before you take the plunge. It might be a good idea to rent one for a couple of months. I know that Long & McQuade used to credit a portion of your rental cost towards purchase if you decide to buy the kit you're renting (I think it was 60% of the rental cost when I bought my first acoustic kit, but that was over 10 years ago so it may have changed).

As for noise, my personal opinion would be that an electronic kit would be quieter than an acoustic with mufflers every time, but I'll admit that I've never tried to muffle my acoustic kit. I'd just be too concerned with buying the acoustic kit only to find out that I can't dampen the sound enough to satisfy my neighbours / noise bylaws.

Once again, good luck with your decision!
Jawbone Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jawbone Hill For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2011, 12:26 PM   #19
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawbone Hill View Post
I'm with Shnabdabber that you should definitely check out Kijiji for decent drum deals... I'm constantly checking it out, but I just don't have the space to upgrade my electronic kit right now! If you're looking new (and the HD-1 doesn't appeal to you... it definitely isn't the right fit for everyone), I'd suggest either the TD4 or TD9 sets. Both come with a mesh snare and either rubber or mesh toms (depending on the package you buy). I think these sets start over $1k new, though. I believe the HD-1 goes for $800. If you go used (and budget is an issue), the best kit you could probably find is either the TD3 or the entry level Yamaha. I've seen both of these sell for $500 or under on Kijiji, depending on how much the original owner has put into upgrading the various pads and cymbals. I'd avoid any 'no-name' electronic drums, as I've heard nothing but negative things about them. I'd stick with either Roland, Yamaha, or Alesis if I were you.

One thing I would suggest is trying the new sets out at either Axe Music or Long & McQuade. See if you can get used to playing on an electronic kit before you take the plunge. It might be a good idea to rent one for a couple of months. I know that Long & McQuade used to credit a portion of your rental cost towards purchase if you decide to buy the kit you're renting (I think it was 60% of the rental cost when I bought my first acoustic kit, but that was over 10 years ago so it may have changed).

As for noise, my personal opinion would be that an electronic kit would be quieter than an acoustic with mufflers every time, but I'll admit that I've never tried to muffle my acoustic kit. I'd just be too concerned with buying the acoustic kit only to find out that I can't dampen the sound enough to satisfy my neighbours / noise bylaws.

Once again, good luck with your decision!

Thank you (and everyone) for all the information.

I am currently taking lessons at AXE music in Edmonton and practice there on a electronic drum set. On a side note- it makes me feel like the biggest creeper out there. Sitting in the waiting room with parents to pick up there kids and then I go in for lessons. I think I am 8-10 years older then any other student, but gotta learn somehow!
Old 11-17-2011, 02:37 PM   #20
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Hey all,

Thanks for all your previous advice on this topic. I haven't moved into my condo yet (couple months) or bought a drum set, but I had my first serious trip to the store today and the guy got me on the Roland HD-1 V-Drum Lite.

He said it is the only kit he would use in a apartment, as the kick pad doesn't exist, its just a pedal (exuse the probable improaper use of terms by me). According to him, some on this forum, and my research online, its the vibration from the kick pad which causes most apartment issues, not the actual hitting of the electronic drum.

It is also Rolands cheapest and has 10 kits in it, and he says is the most durable by far of the <$1000 kits.

Does anyone have any comments on this set-up, for or against?

Thanks!
Kavy

Tags
drums , electronics , instrument , music , roland