Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2016, 02:36 PM   #201
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Barker is looking shady in this. Sewell told teams when he entered the draft he would only play for Toronto or Hamilton as he's apparently a huge mommas boy. He even turned a down NFL practice roster spot as it was too far from home. And Barker has been trying to trade for awhile as the Argos didn't feel like he was developing like they hoped.
Sewell is an incredibly smart individual who has completed an accelerated MBA program at McMaster University. That's the reason he would not play outside of Hamilton and Toronto, not because he is a "Mommy's Boy" or whatever BS reasons the yokels over at riderfans are slinging around.

Contrary to popular belief in Saskatchewan, it's probably the lowest desired destination for players in the league. Sure people will go there to play football when that's essentially their only real means to put bread on the table or they want to continue playing the game (and they may even come to love it there), but when there are other options, people aren't just going to uproot and go there all the time. Sewell only has a couple years left, and if he's got some connections and something brewing in the GTA it would make no sense to leave for a couple of years at a lousy CFL salary that he could probably make close to with his MBA. He needs to consider his post-CFL career which will be for the majority of his adult life.

I'm sure the Riders were well aware that Sewell did not want to leave the Golden Horseshoe but thought he would choose football and move anyways. They thought wrong. Rider fans can call Barker shady all they want, but to take personal shots at Sewell is ridiculous....and well the typical Rider fan thing to do. I don't know how they can call out Barker though when their organization just stole and entire coaching staff led by one of the most disloyal coaches to ever grace a CFL sideline.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 07-07-2016 at 02:54 PM.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2016, 02:49 PM   #202
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

When you make a trade for someone in the CFL, there's always a risk they will not report. The majority of these guys are not making big money (unless they are QB's) and it doesn't take much for them to say they are done given the physical risk they take for a very short career. This isn't the first time this will happen, and it's not the last. We just have to listen to it because it's the Riders.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 07-07-2016 at 02:55 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2016, 05:56 PM   #203
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
When you make a trade for someone in the CFL, there's always a risk they will not report. The majority of these guys are not making big money (unless they are QB's) and it doesn't take much for them to say they are done given the physical risk they take for a very short career. This isn't the first time this will happen, and it's not the last. We just have to listen to it because it's the Riders.

Whatever you say, moon.

My god the flags make it so unwatchable...

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:21 PM   #204
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Masoli#is garbage. If I was Austin I would go to Matthews.

Old 07-07-2016, 07:13 PM   #205
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Sewell is an incredibly smart individual who has completed an accelerated MBA program at McMaster University. That's the reason he would not play outside of Hamilton and Toronto, not because he is a "Mommy's Boy" or whatever BS reasons the yokels over at riderfans are slinging around.

Contrary to popular belief in Saskatchewan, it's probably the lowest desired destination for players in the league. Sure people will go there to play football when that's essentially their only real means to put bread on the table or they want to continue playing the game (and they may even come to love it there), but when there are other options, people aren't just going to uproot and go there all the time. Sewell only has a couple years left, and if he's got some connections and something brewing in the GTA it would make no sense to leave for a couple of years at a lousy CFL salary that he could probably make close to with his MBA. He needs to consider his post-CFL career which will be for the majority of his adult life.

I'm sure the Riders were well aware that Sewell did not want to leave the Golden Horseshoe but thought he would choose football and move anyways. They thought wrong. Rider fans can call Barker shady all they want, but to take personal shots at Sewell is ridiculous....and well the typical Rider fan thing to do. I don't know how they can call out Barker though when their organization just stole and entire coaching staff led by one of the most disloyal coaches to ever grace a CFL sideline.

One thing is clear, you know nothing about Sewell's motivations or what information was known about the situation by the Riders or what information was provided by the Argos.

So really your guess at what happened is no better or worse than any other guess. In fact given the anti everyone bias, often including the stamps, I'm not sure I'd attribute any validity in your guesses.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:06 PM   #206
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Masoli with another turnover. Game over. Guy has no business being a starter.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:08 PM   #207
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Icon38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
One thing is clear, you know nothing about Sewell's motivations or what information was known about the situation by the Riders or what information was provided by the Argos.

So really your guess at what happened is no better or worse than any other guess. In fact given the anti everyone bias, often including the stamps, I'm not sure I'd attribute any validity in your guesses.
Sewell's intelligence and participation in Mac's accelerated MBA program is pretty well documented. I think it's far less of a leap to suggest retiring at 30 rather reporting to Saskatchewan is likely due to his education and large post-CFL earnings potential while being at the twilight of his CFL careers than it being do to him being " A Mommy's Boy".

Only you would argue it's the same leap.

I really could care less if Toronto blatantly ripped Saskatchewan off either. After what the Riders pulled this summer, they have no room to talk.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:09 PM   #208
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow Masolli just lost the game to one of the worst team in the CFL. I am betting Kent Austin just can't wait to get Zach Collaros back as Masolli couldn't get the job done. I don't know who is the other Hamilton's backup but is there any other option for Hamilton's QB position right now? This guy is awful.
OzSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:09 PM   #209
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Masoli with another turnover. Game over. Guy has no business being a starter.
Yeah, he's bad. I only watched the first half but that pick 6 he threw to Legette was brutal. Playoff Burris'esque.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:22 PM   #210
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzSome View Post
Wow Masolli just lost the game to one of the worst team in the CFL. I am betting Kent Austin just can't wait to get Zach Collaros back as Masolli couldn't get the job done. I don't know who is the other Hamilton's backup but is there any other option for Hamilton's QB position right now? This guy is awful.

Jeff Matthews, Jake Waters (Tigercats brass are very high on him ), Jacoby Harris, and Everett Golson are all the arms Hamilton has In some capacity on their roster.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:13 PM   #211
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Never understood why people were so in love with Jennings. Sure looked ordinary before Lulay got put into the game.

The Following User Says Thank You to Drake For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2016, 10:39 PM   #212
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who's Anthony Arceneaux? Lol

Old 07-08-2016, 08:07 AM   #213
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Barker is looking shady in this. Sewell told teams when he entered the draft he would only play for Toronto or Hamilton as he's apparently a huge mommas boy. He even turned a down NFL practice roster spot as it was too far from home. And Barker has been trying to trade for awhile as the Argos didn't feel like he was developing like they hoped.
It looks bad on Jones more then anything else. If it's a known fact that he'll only play in Ontario, don't you think Jones should've asked for permission to talk to Sewel before the trade was completed?

Especially since Jones was in Toronto when he was drafted.

Due diligence was on Jones to make sure the player would report.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 10:26 AM   #214
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
It looks bad on Jones more then anything else. If it's a known fact that he'll only play in Ontario, don't you think Jones should've asked for permission to talk to Sewel before the trade was completed?

Especially since Jones was in Toronto when he was drafted.

Due diligence was on Jones to make sure the player would report.
Found out this morning a conditional draft pick in 2018 was involved in this trade that Toronto received. Would assume it had to do with whether or not Sewell would report to Regina.

Old 07-08-2016, 11:55 AM   #215
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stamps starting DT is also named Micah Johnson.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:29 PM   #216
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can't stop paying somebody, it's called breach of contract. Watch the league fine him again. What an assclown!

Quote:
According to this source, only eight days after Chris Jones had accepted the dual role in Saskatchewan, his assistant coaching staff, many of whom had not made final decisions to stay or go, found out they were not being paid on Dec. 15, discovering they would not be compensated for the two weeks subsequent to winning the Grey Cup, even though they were still employed by the club.
Quote:
When the assistant coaches inquired, they were told that the instruction of non payment came directly from Eskimos GM Ed Hervey. Incensed, any doubt about how many would follow Jones to Saskatchewan was eliminated immediately. Not only did Stephen McAdoo, Craig Dickenson, Jarious Jackson, Mike Scheper, Ed Philion, Phillip Lolley and Jason Shivers accept offers to join Jones in Regina, but the Riders organization “made them whole,” by agreeing to pay them for the entire month of December.
http://m.edmontonsun.com/2016/07/07/...ff-mass-exodus

The Following User Says Thank You to Drake For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2016, 12:52 PM   #217
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hervey is a clown.

I was working the 2000 Grey up in the concessions back in the day at McMahon and Hervey pops up and I go "eh, you're ed hervey" his response "so?" I didn't bother even saying another word to that arrogant prick.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:53 PM   #218
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You can't stop paying somebody, it's called breach of contract. Watch the league fine him again. What an assclown!

http://m.edmontonsun.com/2016/07/07/...ff-mass-exodus
It's "The Eskimo Way"...
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:14 PM   #219
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Carry over from stamps thread, TSN get your ####ing #### together with your programming alert. Jesus, tell us ahead of time what goddamn channel will cut away to show the next game if the current one runs long.

This has been an issue at least twice already this season. ####ing figure it out already.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:29 PM   #220
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why are they wasting DD's snaps to run a gimmick? Ugh
M*A*S*H 4077 is online now   Reply With Quote