Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2017, 04:31 PM   #21
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
I've only spent a week in England, mostly in London and Somerset but here are a few recommendations:

London:
-Tower of London: so much history and a cool museum
-Churchill war rooms: also a lot of history and cool museum
-Borough markets: yummy food.

Somerset:
-Bath obviously: one of the most beautiful cities in the world. The Roman baths are a must see.
-Glastonbury: a pretty and quirky town with Arthurian mythology.
-Cheddar gorge: a gorgeous part of England that is heaven for any cheese lover.

Do not recommend: Stonehenge. Up there with the leaning tower of Pisa as one of the most overrated tourist attractions in the world. Save yourself time and money by snapping a picture from your car while driving past on the highway.
Wow....you must have had the same trip I did.

Hit up the Tower of London and my hostel was across the street from the Borough Market. I ate well...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 04:33 PM   #22
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

In ancient times,
Hundreds of years before the dawn of history
Lived a strange race of people, the Druids

No one knows who they were . . . or . . . what they were doing
But their legacy remains
Hewn into the living rock, of Stonehenge

Towers of London
When they had built you
Did you watch over the men who fell
Towers of London
When they had built you
Victoria's gem found in somebody's hell
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2017, 04:34 PM   #23
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
Yes, Bath is incredible. Definitely recommend. Stonehenge is very underwhelming and you can't get close like you could in the olden days- but can basically hit it quickly on the way to Bath if you did decide to go.
You still can, but access is limited to special tours. When I went last year, I did this tour:

https://www.premiumtours.co.uk/tours...tour-at-sunset

One day trip that included about three hours in Bath, Laycock for the medieval pub meal (separate charge, alright, but not outstanding), and Stonehenge at sunset, inside the circle. We arrived right before the gift shop closed though, so don't expect a lot of time, or even any, to get any souvenirs. From a distance, Stonehenge really is underwhelming, but it is pretty neat inside the circle:

If you can't get a tour inside the circle, don't even bother.

Last edited by Resolute 14; 03-13-2017 at 04:41 PM.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 04:37 PM   #24
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

A couple other things, GoinAllTheWay:

I found the London Pass rather useful when I was there. I really enjoyed Windsor Castle, and the train from Paddington to Windsor is free with this. The London Eye was neat for about five minutes. Then I just wanted off. Get to a soccer game if you can and you haven't already. Way different experience compared to NA sports fans.

Also, the Heathrow Express train from Heathrow to Paddington station is far cheaper if you buy well in advance (90 or 120 days, iirc) than if you buy closer to your date. So if that (or the Gatwick Express, I presume) is one of your expected modes of travel, buy sooner.

Last edited by Resolute 14; 03-13-2017 at 04:40 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2017, 05:35 PM   #25
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

As far as London goes, walking around St. James Park is a great time. Just seeing everything in Westminster is cool too. City of London is mostly financial institutions and a few churches, but it is the historical heart of London so it was worth going down there. Piccadilly Circus is pretty sweet, then you can just walk up Regent Street and there is tons of shopping and places to eat. Best fish and chips place I went to was easily the Golden Chippy, though it's a bit out of the way from Central London. Also don't be tall, most of the tube cars are not made for someone taller than 6'5 unless you can snag a seat. Did not take the Heathrow Express, and it's about an hour from Heathrow to downtown London on the Piccadilly Line (also, if you're in terminal 4 you might go on an adventure to get on the right tube)

And if Wimbledon is going on, you should definitely check that out. Truly incredible experience.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:04 PM   #26
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Got anything to declare? Ya, don't go to England.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2017, 06:35 PM   #27
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
You still can, but access is limited to special tours. When I went last year, I did this tour.
Just had dinner with mama and I brought up Stonehenge after thinking of this thread and she stared recalling her barefoot hippy days of the 60s when you could go right up to the stones or whatever. She seems to recall a lot of graffiti, which is maybe why they started the restrictions.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 06:59 PM   #28
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Historic Dockyard in Portsmouth is fascinating if you're into naval history - HMS Victory, HMS Warrior and the Mary Rose all within spitting distance of each other.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:20 PM   #29
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Just had dinner with mama and I brought up Stonehenge after thinking of this thread and she stared recalling her barefoot hippy days of the 60s when you could go right up to the stones or whatever. She seems to recall a lot of graffiti, which is maybe why they started the restrictions.
That, and they were holding festival concerts that were damaging the stones. So they seriously clamped down. The nice thing about that tour is there was only about 25 of us total - we were there after the park closed to the public. 12/13 people got to go in at a time while the others wandered around the grounds about 10-15 feet away like everyone who comes during the day does. Then switch. Even so, we were told not to touch the stones.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:08 PM   #30
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Guy View Post
The Historic Dockyard in Portsmouth is fascinating if you're into naval history - HMS Victory, HMS Warrior and the Mary Rose all within spitting distance of each other.

I'm going back to Dieppe for the 75th anniversary this August and we have a few days in the UK first, this is one of the places we are stopping. I'm looking forward to it.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bigtmac19 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2017, 06:32 AM   #31
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

google says there is a sbarro in grafton center in Cambridge if you are jonesing for a great slice of pie
Old 03-14-2017, 09:29 AM   #32
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
That's a very cool suggestion, thanks! May be a bit far north but that's really up my alley. Neat idea for sure.
Shame! I suggest it all the time but it never works out for anyone

Norfolk is underrated - it's like the Saskatchewan of England. LOL

Norwich is worth the trip alone imo.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 09:31 AM   #33
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

We had a really good day going to Camden and checking out all the flea markets, thrift shops etc. Really cool area - there was a lot of good food in the flea markets too.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:55 AM   #34
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

- You'll spend a pound there like you spend a dollar here
- I'm still not completely clear on this, but tipping isn't necessary at pubs, but other places you are supposed to tip if there is no "service charge"?
- The food there... Paris was paradise in comparison when it came to food. It wasn't horrible, but I wasn't exactly inspired by the quality nor by my food options.
- Wear super comfy shoes. Buy and bring gel heel slips if necessary. You will walk, a lot. If not for transport, for the historical locations you will visit.
- WB studios (Making of Harry Potter) is pretty much a museum. Don't fall for the scalper prices of 100 pounds plus bus per person. I nearly paid that because it was booked solid for the week according to their site. then I found cancellations at something like 4AM London time for the regular 30(?) pounds for all time slots for the next day.
- The Oyster card is so damn convenient.

-If you want to bring souvenirs for someone there, Sweet Sippin maple whiskey was a huge hit. There was also some maple nougat soft chew I brought that was a huge hit as well. (Forget name, was a random package by the tills at T&T supermarket)

I spent about 9 days in London and about 6 in Paris on a previous trip. I regret that. By the 5th day my wife and I ran out of things to do in London proper. (This included going out with friends). If I had to do it all over again, I'd do 9 Paris, 6 London. But from what I hear, UK outside of London is nice as well.

Last edited by DoubleF; 03-14-2017 at 10:11 AM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:43 AM   #35
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
But from what I hear, UK outside of London is nice as well.
IMO - that's the UK you want to see.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:56 AM   #36
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
- The food there... Paris was paradise in comparison when it came to food. It wasn't horrible, but I wasn't exactly inspired by the quality nor by my food options.
WB studios (Making of Harry Potter) is pretty much a museum. Don't fall for the scalper prices of 100 pounds plus bus per person. I nearly paid that because it was booked solid for the week according to their site. then I found cancellations at something like 4AM London time for the regular 30(?) pounds for all time slots for the next day.
Don't quite understand why some people feel this way. England has some awesome food- and of course some of the best international restaurants in the world.

Ya, they have some strange traditional dishes and all the things they seem to like to do with pigs faces and tails, but most British food is downright awesome. Endless number of options; none of them healthy. Fish & Chips, some type of dish that involves pastry and beef like Steak & Ale pie, Sunday roasts at a pub, full English breakfast, bangers and mash. And an English bitter.

Oh, and I got dragged out to the WB studio tour in Watford... Im sure it is great for Harry Pottle and Dumbledole fans, but for me

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 03-14-2017 at 11:00 AM.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 11:09 AM   #37
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

You don't tip in pubs if you're just having a beer, nor do they have waitresses usually.

If the pub visit involves food and a waitress that's different, I would assume the service charge is built into the bill (the only pub food in my day consisted of prawn cocktail flavoured chips or pork scratchings).
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 11:34 AM   #38
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Don't quite understand why some people feel this way. England has some awesome food- and of course some of the best international restaurants in the world.

Ya, they have some strange traditional dishes and all the things they seem to like to do with pigs faces and tails, but most British food is downright awesome. Endless number of options; none of them healthy.

Oh, and I got dragged out to the WB studio tour in Watford... Im sure it is great for Harry Pottle and Dumbledole fans, but for me
$$$$ or access was the problem. Then the lower end food was average at best yet seemingly more expensive than here. I asked locals best I could as to what food to try and I didn't get any decent answers. I literally got this as a reply. I was mainly given 3 suggestions by most people I asked. Bangers and Mash, Fish and Chips and Shepherds pie. Most of the locals had no idea what other decent food options I could pursue.

I asked the immigration guy, he had no idea what he ate other than shepherds pie and fish and chips. I asked the hotel concierge, same thing but added pub food was an "option". Ticket person at London Eye, Tower of London, Hampton Court all had no idea. etc. etc. etc. Friends who lived in the city would either give suggestions for places too dang far (almost hour away), or would say, "Oh, you can't go there without resos XYZ time in advance." or "Oh, this place is good, but it's not UK food."

High tea was gooooooooooood. but no person ever suggested it once. A friend brought us only because my wife knew about it and asked for a suggestion of a place to have it.

I would have loved to try those "strange traditional" dishes, but no one I asked seemed to have an idea they existed, and I couldn't find much when searching online on limited internet (bad planning on my behalf). Plus I am quite certain I did not see any of interesting items on menu in the pubs and restaurants I tried, because I know for sure I would have immediately attempted to try it.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 12:45 PM   #39
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.ffionas.com/

Several people have recommended this restaurant, the traditional roast beef dinner is supposed to be fantastic.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:28 PM   #40
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Go to a Premiere Dart League match. Dress up in a silly costume, get stupid drunk, and cheer whenever the dude screams 180!
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post: