Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2017, 10:36 AM   #421
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

The instant you open a computer part and then try and sell it second hand it loses significant value. Can't say I'm surprised by the response from the prospective buyer. Don't be delusional with your expectations and you won't get crass responses.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:40 AM   #422
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Seriously, someone valuing their item too highly justifies being a jackass? WTF?
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:42 AM   #423
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm not condoning the insult what so ever.

In fact, I often filter who I respond to based on their response. If I have multiple replies, the guy who simply writes "550" isn't getting a reply. People with more thought out responses will likely be more legitimate buyers.

I was just commenting on the offer itself. Thought it was reasonable.

I don't think anyone really gets offended by Kijiji replies anyways. If I ever got told to "eat a dick" via kijiji reply, I'd chuckle.
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dubc80 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2017, 10:42 AM   #424
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who gives a crap if some stranger insults you? I'd laugh if nothing else.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:47 AM   #425
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Who gives a crap if some stranger insults you? I'd laugh if nothing else.
Shut yer yap, you dunderhead. Nobody cares what you think.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:51 AM   #426
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm crushed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2017, 10:52 AM   #427
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

But are you laughing?
Old 03-22-2017, 11:33 AM   #428
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Jeez...the whole point of my post was not to get a critique of my price but to show how people act. How is this any different than going into a store, seeing a product for $50, taking it to the register and saying $25, being told no, and to respond with "eat a d*ck".

And I appreciate the feedback from those that automatically assumed the Kijiji posted was right about his claim of cost of buying this card new. Especially from someone looking for a deal. As some may know, there are many variants of video card available. The one that I have listed has a price range from $709.00 to $898.00. To me discounting a product by 26% of the cost of a new card (including GST plus the cost of the two year warranty depreciated by four months) is fair. Using the price point of $550 for a $680 card would be a discount of 25% (again a $680 card would be $714 after tax). So what is the difference between my offer using real prices and the made-up claim by a Kijiji poster?

Here is verification of the current prices:
http://www.shopbot.ca/pp-evga-geforc...ce-533076.html

All I wanted was to share my experience with the users on this board without being attacked regarding my pricing techniques.

Last edited by Meelapo; 03-22-2017 at 11:38 AM.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:45 AM   #429
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Nm
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:49 PM   #430
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:39 PM   #431
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

OK, not Kijiji, but I found this funny. An item I'm watching went from $150 to $10.65.
Curious, I check the sellers page...

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aag/main?ie...FLX8&sshmPath=
Old 03-29-2017, 09:27 PM   #432
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
OK, not Kijiji, but I found this funny. An item I'm watching went from $150 to $10.65.
Curious, I check the sellers page...

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aag/main?ie...FLX8&sshmPath=
It's a $10.65 sale?! Good deal for a Brestfriend. Not so much for the bottle brush.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:02 AM   #433
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Love Kijiji. Just cracked the 200k total value mark for listing my personal beater cars/motorcycles over the last decade. All in, I've spent s total of $340 on top ads over close to 10 years. To move 23 different vehicles. Most were unique enough they didn't require anything more than a free ad. That doesn't include all the other crap I've sold over the years, which is probably close to 30k. I've found the only way to be successful is to be totally transparent, and list every single flaw on your vehicle/item, almost undersell it. When you finally get a bite you have a very pleased buyer. But I don't take any crap on Kijiji. If I list something for 10 grand. I'll tell the person. "It's 10 grand. Don't even show up if you're planning to make an offer. Period. No flexibility." If they have an issue with that. No problem. But I price my stuff right. I laugh so hard when I'm looking at my dealer ads on Kijiji, and people are trying to sell a car that sold for 22k new, for 35k, because they buried a pile of negative trade value. They think because they paid 35k, it MUST be worth that.

In the car business, we expect to spend 550 +/- on average in digital/print/radio to sell ONE car. So for me to sell 20 some odd vehicles for just over 300 is amazing value. And it's never taken more than 3 days.

Edit: I'll add. When you've been in sales your whole life professionally, Kijiji is a cake walk. It's like fishing with dynamite if you know how to control a transaction. I can understand many people's frustration who have never had to haggle for a living. Many people panic, and are worried the first buyer and offer, is the only buyer and offer. If you are selling a Ferrari, that might be the case. But a 15 year old $5000 beater Jeep.... there's a line around the corner. Hold your ground.

The bottom line when selling anything. They need you as the seller, more than you need them as the buyer. If there's dialogue, you have what they want. Don't let someone run your program.

Last edited by pylon; 03-30-2017 at 12:40 AM.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2017, 01:08 AM   #434
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

"What is the latest price on the item? Please contact me if still available."

"Thank you. I am pleased with the condition and price of the item. I would like to buy but due to the nature of my job I can not pick up in person. I will send a mover agent however to collect the item. I can pay by money order that will be made available to you 48 hours after being placed into your account."

"I have accidentally wrote ____ amount to you on this cheque because [insert excuse]. Pease accept extra amount as a courtesy for doing business with me. Please provide your address and contact information."

-JaneDoe9000@gmail.com

Haha, these pesky little ####ers. Thankfully there's less of them recently.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 01:13 AM   #435
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I also had a woman actually try to return an item she bought from me with cash a week prior, who I insisted a couple times before taking her money that she did not have to buy if she wasn't satisfied. But did anyways. Suddenly decided it wasn't to her liking and said I had better have all the cash still. Really?

Sorry, no can do. Told her to re-list it if she doesn't want to keep it. I'm not Wal-Mart.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:50 AM   #436
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I also had a woman actually try to return an item she bought from me with cash a week prior, who I insisted a couple times before taking her money that she did not have to buy if she wasn't satisfied. But did anyways. Suddenly decided it wasn't to her liking and said I had better have all the cash still. Really?

Sorry, no can do. Told her to re-list it if she doesn't want to keep it. I'm not Wal-Mart.
LOL. Actually had this happen.

Dude buys a motorcycle from me for $4500 I was asking $5000 for right at the end of the season. It was a really good deal. He takes it home and all is well. Turns out he bought the thing while his wife was away and she gets home 3 weeks later and LOSES her mind. He calls me and asks if I'll buy the bike back. "No problem, for $3000 though. I'll probably have to sit on it all winter." And I really expected I would have to. He accepts it. Drops the bike back. So I go flipping through the email inquiries and I call another guy that just missed it and seemed really upset he didn't get it. "Great news man, the bike is available again." The second guy paid $5000 for it.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2017, 10:52 AM   #437
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean... damn, I don't really blame you overmuch for wheeling him like that I guess, it's up to him if he wants to take a $1500 loss like that. But you could have just told him "no dice, but I actually know a guy who'd take it off your hands for what you paid for it". Everyone's happy. Don't mean to call you out, just what I would have done.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 11:08 AM   #438
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I mean... damn, I don't really blame you overmuch for wheeling him like that I guess, it's up to him if he wants to take a $1500 loss like that. But you could have just told him "no dice, but I actually know a guy who'd take it off your hands for what you paid for it". Everyone's happy. Don't mean to call you out, just what I would have done.
I had no guarantees when I bought it back. This guy wanted out of it that day. Like there was a divorce pending on this, and it's mid-October. Basically no-mans land for motorcycle sales. I was flipping through the emails a couple days later before I put it in storage, and didn't hear from the second guy for a couple days.

So I don't feel bad for a second.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2017, 11:40 AM   #439
Matt Reeeeead
Scoring Winger

Exp:

At the end of the day the buyer was an idiot. If it wasn't Pylon, someone is making hand over fist on this guy. May as well be pylon if he was smart enough to take the risk of taking the bike back.
Matt Reeeeead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 11:57 AM   #440
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Yeah, sounds like he probably would have raced out and sold it to the first guy with a couple grand or more.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote