Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-19-2015, 08:38 PM   #21
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Work is what you make of it. I changed industries from financial services to a sales role and I am really liking it. Sure there are days where people constantly turn you down but then there are days where I find someone their dream job and I change their life. I go into the office with the belief that I am going to meet new and exciting people and hopefully I can make a positive change in someone's life.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fundmark19 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2015, 08:45 PM   #22
TurdFerguson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
I'm a lawyer and don't really like it anymore. I used to, but now I'm a bit jaded by the fact that there's so many #######s in it and so much B.S. I've certainly lost any passion I had for it.

I'm actually jealous of my pal who works as a heavy duty equipment mechanic. Gets to be outside, B.S around with the boys, not always having to worrying about stupid complaints. I'm seriously considering going into the field (I'm in my early 30s with no kids, no debts and some money saved up)

How about everyone else?
Story line sounds really familiar...

Seemed to work out for Peter.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:48 PM   #23
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
I'm a lawyer and don't really like it anymore. I used to, but now I'm a bit jaded by the fact that there's so many #######s in it and so much B.S. I've certainly lost any passion I had for it.

I'm actually jealous of my pal who works as a heavy duty equipment mechanic. Gets to be outside, B.S around with the boys, not always having to worrying about stupid complaints. I'm seriously considering going into the field (I'm in my early 30s with no kids, no debts and some money saved up)

How about everyone else?
I think the grass might just seem greener on the heavy duty mechanic side of the fence. There are going to be dim wits everywhere you go. You're going to get tired of bosses, co-workers, the guy who never stops talking about his stupid car.

If you've got some money saved up maybe try using it to make money. Replace your pay check with dividends and capital gains and eventually straight income. Start your own practice. F' employment.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:56 PM   #24
Yasa
First Line Centre

Exp:

I love my job most days. It can be exciting and challenging some days, laid back on others, and rarely an absolute nightmare. It can also depends on who I'm paired with that day. Some partners are completely void of positivity and it becomes a challenge to slog through a shift. Others have fun the entire time. I don't see myself doing this forever, but at this point I'm quite content.
Yasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:00 PM   #25
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another dissatisfied, miserable lawyer here. Just tired of the constant stress (my practice is mostly litigation) and lack of reward (either financial [I know way too many car salesman who make more money than I do] or otherwise). It's just exhausting being responsible for other people's problems every single day.

I've been fantasizing about an escape for over a year now but I keep telling myself to stick it out a little longer (because I loved law school so much). Anyway, just started a new position that I think may be promising, so I at least have some hope at the moment.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:09 PM   #26
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

I love my job (joint venture accountant) and I love the company that I work for. I would continue doing this job with this company for the rest of my life if I could. However with the oil and gas industry the way it is right now, sometimes I wish I had chosen something else. Things are pretty scary.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:11 PM   #27
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
I think the grass might just seem greener on the heavy duty mechanic side of the fence. There are going to be dim wits everywhere you go. You're going to get tired of bosses, co-workers, the guy who never stops talking about his stupid car.

If you've got some money saved up maybe try using it to make money. Replace your pay check with dividends and capital gains and eventually straight income. Start your own practice. F' employment.
I'm tired of the stress and the constant fear of complaints and unwarranted blame (by any number of parties, ie clients to law society, to management etc etc depending on your position) those things don't exist with other type of professions in the same way. The law profession is all about blame all the time.

Last edited by Johnny199r; 08-19-2015 at 09:13 PM.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:12 PM   #28
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
Another dissatisfied, miserable lawyer here. Just tired of the constant stress (my practice is mostly litigation) and lack of reward (either financial [I know way too many car salesman who make more money than I do] or otherwise). It's just exhausting being responsible for other people's problems every single day.

I've been fantasizing about an escape for over a year now but I keep telling myself to stick it out a little longer (because I loved law school so much). Anyway, just started a new position that I think may be promising, so I at least have some hope at the moment.
I couldn't do civil litigation, I'd hate it. I did defence then went with the crown for a few years thinking it would be better, it was worse.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:17 PM   #29
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
I just made a massive shift in industries, albeit in the same company, and I'm happy with my job again. I was pretty unhappy before. Kind of like JohnnyB, I had built something from scratch, which was great, but once it was running and in maintenance mode I completely lost interest. Some people are great at building something, and they're terrible at keeping them going. Others are great the other way around.
That is exactly what I feel. I love the building process, but when it comes to just the maintenance and refinement stage, I can feel my passion slipping away and I fear no longer giving my best to what has been built.

Over the last few years I've also worked on entrepreneurial projects in trade/investment between Canada and China as well as a new private school project and found I really like the challenge and the breadth of what needs dealt with in them. I'm planning to come back to Canada next year to do my MBA as a bridge back to Canada after ten years abroad and also as a way of getting my head out of private education for a while to look at other directions I may go.

It's a big change and a bit scary.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:18 PM   #30
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Principal/teacher here and I have been looking at a career change for some time. I am tired of the paper pushing and unrealistic expectations from the superintendent/parents. The admin work has become quite tedious and boring.
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:22 PM   #31
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

I'm a residential appraiser. I went to school for something scientific or medical and really stumbled into this... But I love it.

I generally work 12-4 and do well for myself now. I have the sporadic early or late inspection, but am super flexible.

The job itself isn't super amazing, but the lifestyle is. So happy with it, especially since it was a chance offer from a hockey team captain a few years back.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:23 PM   #32
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

I love my job, construction project management. Always solving problems, and seeing tangibly things being done.

Of course, sometimes you have to deal with tradespeople who would rather urinate on the floor (or worse) , than walk to the bathroom.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:23 PM   #33
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwkayaker View Post
Principal/teacher here and I have been looking at a career change for some time. I am tired of the paper pushing and unrealistic expectations from the superintendent/parents. The admin work has become quite tedious and boring.
What's the Superintendent upset about? The low test scores? Class after class of ugly, ugly children?
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:56 PM   #34
jdso
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I'm a former accountant, but still designated. Left a pretty lucrative career since I wasn't enjoying the work, wasn't enjoying any work/life balance, and didn't really get any satisfaction from the career in general. Tried a few different paths as an accountant.

Now I work for a municipality (yay unions, thanks NDP!) in a non-accounting role that still lets me use my experience and soft skills and challenges me enough to stay interested, but I have normal hours and work 9 days every two weeks. The pay sucks but it'll get better. Really enjoying what I do right now and the people I work with.
jdso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:57 PM   #35
Robotic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Earlier this year I made a complete career/lifestyle change. Previously I was a Business Analyst, making great money Mon-Fri. But the thought of sitting in front of a computer, going to meetings, and working for someone else just wasn't what I wanted to do for the next 30 years.

I've wanted to reconnect with where our food comes from, and live the ranch life. So I up and quit my job, packed up my things, and started interning with an Albertan family that has an established ranch. I've been here now for 4 months, and loving it! Yeah the days can be long, but its rewarding every minute. I get to be outside, work with animals, exercise, and eat food that you helped raise/grow.

I've wanted to do this for almost 3 years now, and always kept pushing it off because I had a comfy job, good friends/family. I just wish I didn't wait as long as I did. Sometimes you just need to listen to your heart, and take a leap of faith.
Robotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 10:08 PM   #36
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really love my current job. It sure has it's ups and downs, and some days are really a lot harder than others. But there is always that one "this is why you do this" call waiting around the corner that really helps out. I stumbled into the career, and I'm so glad that I did. I can't see myself anywhere else now.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 10:10 PM   #37
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have written and erased this post several times, but it basically comes down to one thing-

I want to have a career/job that I love and enjoy waking up to. That is all. All in all, there are a lot of good things about my job and really don't have it too bad, but it just isn't what I want or ever intended.

The issues here are: feel I am pigeon holed and not qualified for much else. Fear a drastic change would probably mean less money (at first anyway), putting my responsibilites at risk.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flabbibulin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2015, 10:13 PM   #38
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Hate my job but I am trapped by family/responsibility/mortgage. I used to like it a lot, been doing it for over a decade but now I am burnt out and I want a change unfortunately I'm not in a position to go back to school (see family/responsibility/mortgage). The same position with another company would net me 75% of what I make now, just not enough as I'm leveraged to the tits. The company I am with is basically falling apart at the seams before my eyes due to totally inept upper management and I'm on the front lines getting raked over the coals, answering for #### I have no control over.

Every day for the last two years has been worse than the last. I feel like the guy off office space, only more stressed and with much more to lose. It's driving me to alcohol in a bad way too, especially over the last two years. Used to drink maybe once a month, now I'm soused 2-4 times a week. I've also put on about 40 lbs in 2 years and lost most of my hair. My wedding picture I literally looked like a young Bruce Wayne, I am not kidding... now i'm like a fatter, balder Mr. Incredible

So, no, I am not happy with my career. At all. Life and career do tend to blend, so maybe it's both, it's getting increasingly hard to tell.

That felt great to type out and yes, I am drunk right now.

Last edited by Fire of the Phoenix; 08-19-2015 at 10:20 PM.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 10:27 PM   #39
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire of the Phoenix View Post
Hate my job but I am trapped by family/responsibility/mortgage. I used to like it a lot, been doing it for over a decade but now I am burnt out and I want a change unfortunately I'm not in a position to go back to school (see family/responsibility/mortgage). The same position with another company would net me 75% of what I make now, just not enough as I'm leveraged to the tits. The company I am with is basically falling apart at the seams before my eyes due to totally inept upper management and I'm on the front lines getting raked over the coals, answering for #### I have no control over.

Every day for the last two years has been worse than the last. I feel like the guy off office space, only more stressed and with much more to lose. It's driving me to alcohol in a bad way too, especially over the last two years. Used to drink maybe once a month, now I'm soused 2-4 times a week. I've also put on about 40 lbs in 2 years and lost most of my hair. My wedding picture I literally looked like a young Bruce Wayne, I am not kidding... now i'm like a fatter, balder Mr. Incredible

So, no, I am not happy with my career. At all. Life and career do tend to blend, so maybe it's both, it's getting increasingly hard to tell.

That felt great to type out and yes, I am drunk right now.
Sorry to hear it. I hope things improve. You're not the only one. Hang in there!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2015, 10:33 PM   #40
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

At the moment I'm not working so I'm at a zero satisfaction level for my career. I wish I could go work somewhere other than O&G but without a lot of options close to the same pay grade while living in Calgary makes it harder to switch. I'm probably going to have to change careers again if I am able to complete the EI Search for the End of the Internet program.