Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-31-2014, 08:46 AM   #21
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_c View Post
I've had a Bowflex for a few years now which has been great but it seems anything else I buy turns out to be garbage.

I bought a $1000 elliptical a few years ago (don't remember the brand) which was fixed twice in a year. The first time the computer broke, the second time the motor went.

A few months ago I bought a Schwinn Journey 4.5 eliptical. It was $1000 and in less than 3 months the bearings went in one of the rollers and a weld on the frame broke. Apparently Sears is likely going to write it off and give my money back.

So now I'm undecided if I should get another Schwinn or other type of cardio equipment. Treadmills I look at in that range seem to get very mixed reviews. Maybe I should get a stationary bike, or one of those bike trainers to hook my bike to. Are they any good?

Is it possible to get a reliable piece of cardio equipment for $1000 or less?
If you already have a bike, then don't bother buying a stationary bike.
You can get a REALLY good trainer for ~$300-400 and then you get to use your own bike on it. Win Win.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:47 AM   #22
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
If you already have a bike, then don't bother buying a stationary bike.
You can get a REALLY good trainer for ~$300-400 and then you get to use your own bike on it. Win Win.
Lemond has an awesome trainer
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:00 AM   #23
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeGeeWhy View Post
Get a used concept2 rowing machine, or an airdyne.
Best advice. These things don't break, and they are far more intense of a workout (both cardio AND strength) than elliptical/treadmill.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:24 AM   #24
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Keep your eyes on Kijiji. I got a Star Trac 5100 stairmaster for $300. One of the best buys I've ever made. Awesome machine. Incidentally, here's one in Edmonton for $1500 - still a good price. http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-...AdIdZ465074807

I'm gonna hijack this a bit. My machine works perfectly, except that the battery is wonky - if you haven't used it recently, it'll shut itself off when the fan comes on (which it does automatically after 1 minute of use) and you have to start over. Basically, if it's sat unused for a week, you have to re-charge it by doing one minute "quick start" sessions 3 or 4 times, and then it'll go for however long you want. It's a pretty minor inconvenience that ends up costing me about 40 seconds per workout, but if I could get it fixed easily I'd do it. If anyone knows how I can fix this - maybe where I'd get a new power source? Or who I'd talk to to fix it, let me know.
19Yzerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:12 AM   #25
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Have you ever considered saving all that money and just going outside for a run? I have never understood why somebody needs a machine for cardio, just get an mp3 player, make a setlist of some tunes, and go run for free.
It's just to have a little extra cardio. I take the dogs for a brisk 40 minute walk every morning and go walking on my lunch most days. Not too big on running though. Spring, Summer and Fall I get quite a bit of biking in. It's in the winter or those times where there are several days of rain in a row where I'm not always able to get out for a lunch walk so I wanted to ensure I don't get lazy.

Last edited by shane_c; 01-31-2014 at 10:15 AM.
shane_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:33 AM   #26
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'd recommend Precor or Octane fitness, they don't break. I have had my Octane elliptical since they came out about 12 years ago. I went from about 280 to 200 pounds so it can handle the heavier weights.

Unless you can find a good bargain in the used market, you pay for what you get with fitness equipment.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 01-31-2014 at 10:35 AM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:40 AM   #27
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thanks for the replies. I'm intrigued by the Concept 2 rowing machine and all the reviews say they are a great cardio workout and indestructible. I see two used ones on Kijiji in my area for around $200. I might look into something like that.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:18 PM   #28
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
Best advice. These things don't break, and they are far more intense of a workout (both cardio AND strength) than elliptical/treadmill.
And they don't force you to do unnatural movements. The elliptical is a horrible workout machine.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:19 PM   #29
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

If you can get a used concept 2 rower in good condition for $200 I would jump at it.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:08 PM   #30
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

The absolute cheapest way to work out, full body, is with a kettle bell. And they will never break.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:19 PM   #31
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

Another vote for a rowing machine here. Plus the workouts from those things are brutal (In a good way). Way better than an elliptical.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:31 PM   #32
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Looks like I'm getting another one. I'm 2 months past the return date so they'll only do an exchange and not a refund. Hopefully the next one is better. It gets really good reviews online so maybe I just got a dud. I did enjoy it quite a bit when it was working and it helped me lose a few pounds so fingers crossed that this one is better.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:31 PM   #33
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just wanted to give you folks an update. The second elliptical lasted 3 weeks before the left roller started making horrible noises and started to wear unevenly to the point it felt like it was square and the whole unit would shake when I would use it. I brought it back to Sears before the 30 days were up and was refunded.

I'll likely be going to Fitness Depot in the next few weeks to pick up a Concept 2 (model D) rower. Hopefully I have better luck with the rower.

Old 03-30-2014, 06:40 PM   #34
Bean
Scoring Winger

Exp:

What make of elliptical was it?
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:12 PM   #35
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Schwinn Journey 4.5 (470)
http://m.sears.ca/product/schwinn-jo...0877522-100383

Last edited by shane_c; 03-31-2014 at 02:29 AM.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:36 PM   #36
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

I have a cheap spin bike I bought at Sears, and it is used at least 4 times a week for around 40 minutes a session. And it has had no issues, besides having to replace the felt friction pads twice, which is expected. Spin bikes tend to last long, simply because they are so simple.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:49 AM   #37
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I went and got a Concept 2 over the weekend at Fitness Depot. Amazing workout. I'm very sore today.

The Following User Says Thank You to shane_c For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2014, 08:36 AM   #38
Bean
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm looking to buy an elliptical and my research finds that in my budget ~$1,500 an AFG machine or a Sole E35 is the way to go for our needs. Does any CPer have personal experience with these makes?

Unfortunately the Sole brand is not sold through any brick and mortar store in calgary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:40 AM   #39
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Consumer level ellipticals probably start to fall apart because of all the torque from your body swinging around on each motion.

Maybe look into a spinner as they are more durable due to simplicity of design.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 04:09 AM   #40
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Sold my rower last night after having it almost 3 years. It was an amazing piece of equipment but the last 2 months I haven't been using it very much. They really hold their value so after three 3 years I was still able to get a lot of my money back.

I'm wanting to try something different now. Maybe one of those bike trainers or a spin bike.

Last edited by shane_c; 03-21-2017 at 04:11 AM.