Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2017, 07:25 PM   #21
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
it would be interesting to know more about he complainers.....did they just move in? have they historically complained a lot? has there been any changes at the airport that meant more noise over their homes?

otherwise, I am assuming that this has gotten tot eh point of them just calling the number and say "noise complaint" and then hang up.
my guess would be some very lonely pensioners and these calls are the only human contact they get, at this stage I'm guessing the guy at the other end just asks them how their cats doing and if they need him to bring some soup over
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2017, 07:47 PM   #22
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I bet these two are not old timers. More likely 45 and under with kids, possibly a stay at home mom with a manager cut.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:07 PM   #23
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
There is no point in these complaints. It's like yelling at the highway 300 metres from your house. Neither the highway now the airport are going anywhere.
i think the intent was to make a point, not alter behavior....just a suspicion
Aleks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:45 PM   #24
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Maybe the airport authority can send "someone" to go "talk" to them to smooth out the situation?
lazypucker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:47 PM   #25
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

They should give each of these guys the other's number.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:50 PM   #26
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
They should give each of these guys the other's number.
(raspy old lady voice)
Hello! There's a plane flying over my house right now, and it pisses me off!
(sound of dentures getting flung into mouth)
I hear it too! Damn kids these days with their aeroplanes!
Sayyy...
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:10 PM   #27
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post
I bet these two are not old timers. More likely 45 and under with kids, possibly a stay at home mom with a manager cut.
I vote unemployed overweight loners. Possibly impotent. If we're making baseless and slightly insulting speculations, which it seems we are.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:39 PM   #28
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
Maybe the airport authority can send "someone" to go "talk" to them to smooth out the situation?
Steve McCroskey: Jacobs, I want to know absolutely everything that's happened up till now.

Jacobs: Well, let's see. First the earth cooled. And then the dinosaurs came, but they got too big and fat, so they all died and they turned into oil. And then the Arabs came and they bought Mercedes Benzes. And Prince Charles started wearing all of Lady Di's clothes. I couldn't believe it.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:39 PM   #29
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

What exactly is their end game? To have all incoming/outgoing flights cancelled forever, thus destroying the city's economy and throwing away billions of dollars worth of business and tourist revenue? That's literally the only end game they have.

Or, they could move away. I'm glad this story is being made public and they deserve to be shamed/embarrassed over this.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:21 PM   #30
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Too funny. I live close enough to an airport that you can see faces inside the planes. About three times a week for an hour or so the flight paths go past and it can get pretty noisy with the windows open. It really doesn't bother me however and is much better than living next to a busy road or train line where the noise is more constant.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:18 AM   #31
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

The consensus in this thread seems to be that the only alternative to the current noise situation is to close the airport. Yeah the airport is not going anywhere, but relative to noise abatement procedures at major airports elsewhere in the world, Calgary does very little. These 2 people filing thousands of complaints won't be the deal breaker, but enough people with enough money can complain and can make a huge difference on flight operations. See John Wayne Airport in Santa Ana, California:

In Calgary, the downwind in south flow could be moved further west, eliminating noise for the far NW as planes prepare to turn in over Airdrie to land southbound. Specialized departure procedures like at John Wayne get planes higher sooner so they can throttle back and cut noise nearly in half. Elsewhere in the US, planes follow GPS tracks after takeoff to avoid the most noise sensitive areas; that could be done in Calgary and also for arrivals so they wouldn't have to overfly Airdrie. Banning reverse thrust and APU usage on the ground would make a big difference. The loudest offenders, 737-200's, etc., could be banned. Until their hand is forced, none of these more aggressive noise abatement tactics will be undertaken by YYC, but again... it's not "all or nothing".
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2017, 06:08 AM   #32
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The key words are at the bottom there..."violation of court ordered noise restrictions". Unless the airport has a threat against them that will cause a loss, they probably aren't going to do much more.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 06:59 AM   #33
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
I vote unemployed overweight loners. Possibly impotent. If we're making baseless and slightly insulting speculations, which it seems we are.
LOL. Post after post speculating its old men. One post speculates about a female and the objections start.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:33 PM   #34
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

We're in the direct flight path where we are in Airdrie. It's kind of fun to watch. It's like they use our street to line up for the airport (obviously not for real, it's just that the flights line up exactly over the middle of our street), LOL. When the new runway opened up, it got pretty bad over our place - it seemed almost non-stop. You get used to it fairly quick. They made some changes, from what I am given to understand, so the number of flights is definitely less than before. There is the occasional plane, I have no idea which one, that when it comes over, it sounds like the wheels are about to graze our roof, and our house shakes and we've actually peeked our heads out a couple of times to see what sort of plane it is. Whatever it is, it's good sized and flying lower than most of the others. I don't remember which airline it is, but we have noticed there seems to be a difference in the amount of engine noise from airline to airline, which obviously is a difference in aircraft used.

We've never filed a complaint though. It is what it is and with whatever changes they seem to have made, it's much better than when the new runway first opened, so we just don't care.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:36 PM   #35
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Just when I thought Airdrie couldn't get anymore desirable.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2017, 01:03 PM   #36
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the airport should do a throwback day. Have nothing but 737-200s, 707s, DC-8s, 727s, MD-80s and see if people still complain about the noise of modern aircraft.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2017, 02:52 PM   #37
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

My Dad accounts for 99% of the motorcycle noise complaints on Hwy 22.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 03:00 PM   #38
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I found the culprits!!!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:05 PM   #39
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
I think the airport should do a throwback day. Have nothing but 737-200s, 707s, DC-8s, 727s, MD-80s and see if people still complain about the noise of modern aircraft.
I lived under heathrows flight path in the 70's, the whole house would rattle every time Concorde took off, I thought it was great but it drove my mum nuts
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:21 PM   #40
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I was complainer #2 and I saw these stats, I would probably want to up my game.