Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2016, 02:42 PM   #481
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post
Choice of sizing depends on the space you are trying to fill. Proportionality is important so a "huge and wide" tree is appropriate in some circumstances.
He wants something that doesn't have crazy roots. The two I recommended against are the ones that have the crazy roots.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:49 PM   #482
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
On another note, we just planted hops on some privacy screens, looking forward to seeing how that grows through the summer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I've got some growing. Just planted last year, so only about 1 foot tall right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketoPuck View Post
Interesting.

A co-worker of mine planted some in her back yard to cover her fence and was just telling me the other day that they are growing a foot/day.

Different type of hops maybe?
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueski View Post
Thanks for all that on hops ^^^. I'm looking for something that could do a quick one season snow fence. Too bad they need a structure to go vertical. I might plant corn, it would be perfect I think.
Can confirm that it took a little while for them to settle, but they are now growing like mad fools and seems like they're going to give pretty good coverage.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 03:01 PM   #483
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup, in the past 2 weeks mine have really taken off.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:16 AM   #484
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Anyone have experience setting fence posts with this new foam stuff instead of something more traditional like post haste?

Seems like a lot easier to use, but does it work man?
IMO concrete or foam or any of the alternatives are simply not required for a fence post. Dig your hole, place your post, back fill and tamp a foot or so at a time and you're good to go. Easier, faster and just as stable. As a bonus you won't have concrete lumps to work around with your lawn etc. or dig out in the future if you remove the fence.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:19 AM   #485
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
IMO concrete or foam or any of the alternatives are simply not required for a fence post. Dig your hole, place your post, back fill and tamp a foot or so at a time and you're good to go. Easier, faster and just as stable. As a bonus you won't have concrete lumps to work around with your lawn etc. or dig out in the future if you remove the fence.
I echo this statement. Went with the tamping method with my Dad for my new posts and they're solid. the other post that was redone 2 years ago with conrcete is garbage and loose.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2016, 11:25 AM   #486
rain_e
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm really surprised that people don't use concrete for fence posts. The last house I purchased the fence was already there. Right away I noticed that the fence was leaning and after a couple of wind storms it looked even worse until finally one of the posts came right out.

When I went to repair the fence I see that it was placed directly into the dirt. If you are digging the holes 4 ft deep anyways put in 2-3 bags of concrete and leave the top 3-6 inches free of concrete. Back fill with dirt and you don't have to worry about working around concrete on your lawn.

It's not worth the costs savings of $10 a hole IMO.
rain_e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rain_e For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2016, 12:57 PM   #487
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

After calling Sodmasters a total of 6 times with no answer I left a message, asked him to give me a price on 1700 sq. feet and let me know where the sod comes from. I explain I'm curious about where it's grown, the quality, etc.

He calls back, leaves a message without answering either question. F'ing annoying. I call back, no answer, leave another message asking again for price and to let me know where the sod is grown. Radio silence.

I wouldn't bother with this guy. Eagle Lake and especially Chinook were very friendly, gave me the info nice and quick.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 01:16 PM   #488
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

How do I properly grade soil from the sides of my house? I don't have window wells so I have to keep it lower than windows obviously. The area I want to sod is between my house and the fence, so should I just have a natural slope of the soil away from the house? Do I have to worry much about grade or anything? This isn't a new build at all, the house was built in 1988.
Old 06-13-2016, 01:21 PM   #489
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

One alternative to concrete I have doneon fence posts is to back fill with limestone crush, tamping every 6" or so. A bit of work, but less than mucking about with concrete in my opinion and it firms up dead solid once a bit of rain gets to it.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 01:25 PM   #490
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

My understanding is that your only concern is not draining the water into your neighbours yard, work with his slope to get it all draining away from both houses and towards the street/alley/whatever your drainage plan is for that block.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:47 PM   #491
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_fan View Post
How do I properly grade soil from the sides of my house? I don't have window wells so I have to keep it lower than windows obviously. The area I want to sod is between my house and the fence, so should I just have a natural slope of the soil away from the house? Do I have to worry much about grade or anything? This isn't a new build at all, the house was built in 1988.
If you need clay to help with the grading I have lots of clay. Lots. Please. Take my clay. Its free!
Old 06-13-2016, 03:38 PM   #492
username
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
If you need clay to help with the grading I have lots of clay. Lots. Please. Take my clay. Its free!
1800 got junk will do that for you. A couple of students will show up with their truck, load it up and take it away while you do nothing.

It's a fantastic service.....though you certainly do pay a bit more for it.
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:23 PM   #493
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, see that's the thing. I'm a cheap #######. If I had money to spend I would have hired a landscaper to do the whole project. So now the game is to get it taken away for free. I'm got a few lines in the river. Just today I got $600 worth of retaining wall bricks for $30.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:25 PM   #494
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ya, see that's the thing. I'm a cheap #######. If I had money to spend I would have hired a landscaper to do the whole project. So now the game is to get it taken away for free. I'm got a few lines in the river. Just today I got $600 worth of retaining wall bricks for $30.
Use the clay to make bricks and sell them for $30??
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2016, 11:45 PM   #495
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain_e View Post
I'm really surprised that people don't use concrete for fence posts.
I didn't use concrete for my posts went down about 3.5 feet used 4x6 posts they have not moved at all in about 8 years. Sealing the posts in concrete causes them to rot out faster and makes it much more difficult to remove. Can't use it everywhere but if the soil is well packed and stable I find it better not to use concrete.

Using 4x6 posts is one of the best things I did they don't warp and bend nearly as much as a 4x4.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:25 PM   #496
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is there such as thing as cheaper rocks than burnco? They seem a little expensive. I'm just looking for simple rocks like washed or tanned rock.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 07:47 AM   #497
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
Is there such as thing as cheaper rocks than burnco? They seem a little expensive. I'm just looking for simple rocks like washed or tanned rock.
Look on Kijiji . If you just want a dump of a few yards not in a bag you should be able to get it cheaper.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2016, 08:42 AM   #498
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bought some drip irrigation components this week and I hope to get my system set up this weekend for my veggie garden. The only thing that I haven't bought yet is an automatic water timer. What are some good single zone water timers? I don't need anything fancy with wifi or bluetooth controls. I just want something that is reliable and will work for a number of years. I've looked at a bunch online (an Orbit model, a Rainbird model, etc.) and the common complaint seems to be that the valves can stop functioning properly very quickly and will either stick open or closed. If anyone has found a water timer that works for a few years let me know which model you have.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 09:49 AM   #499
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post

Please view this ad:

Gravel parking pads 75hr 403 472 9663,
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-interlock-pav...nt=app_android

This is the guy I called. Dwayne. Was probably half the price and came the same day.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2016, 11:47 AM   #500
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why do people love decorative concrete curbs so much?

My neighbors, ALL OF THEM, have gotten them done in the past 3 weeks. I feel like I don't belong in suburbia if I don't love the look of them.

Tags
flowers , garden , green thumb , landscaping , veggies