Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2013, 06:03 PM   #1
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:
Icon48 The Hockey News 2013-14 predictions

Got THN's yearbook today, and for both Calgary and Edmonton, they are trying to hedge their bets both ways.

Calgary's expected finish should be obvious. But they name Baertschi as a legitimate Calder threat and Monahan as a dark horse. In the case of Edmonton, they predict a 5th place finish - and making the playoffs as the crossover - but have clearly removed their lips from the Oilers' asses with the team's story being titled "Oil in crisis mode" and talking about how Edmonton has no more excuses.

For other Canadian teams, Ottawa, Montreal and Toronto are predicted to finish 3rd, 4th and 5th in the TransAtlantic division, all making the playoffs. Vancouver third in the Pacific, and Winnipeg gets no respect: dead last in the Central. The Pens, Bruins, Kings and Blackhawks as division winners.

And now the grain of salt: St. Louis over Pittsburgh for the Cup.

No Flames, current or former, in the top 50 players.But I found it interesting that they dropped the Sedins to 44th and 45th. You know who was number 1. That other guy was second. Stamkos third.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2013, 06:09 PM   #2
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dot agree with the Oilers making the Playoffs and I think the Senators will win their division. St. Louis, in my opinion, is a bit overrated. They haven't proved much to anyone, other than they can make the playoffs. I'm picking Chicago to repeat as cup champs, and they will beat Ottawa in the finals. Call me crazy, but I think Ottawa will be deadly this year.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:26 AM   #3
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I don't think the Oilers get anywhere near the playoffs. I'm skeptical about them even improving that much.

I just don't see how Gordon and Ferrence (god love him) are going to make that much of a bleeding difference. They're still a top heavy team with a sub par bottom 6, and a bottom 3rd of the league blue line, and average goaltending.

I think that Nurse will probably be a very good defensemen, but I think he's at least 2 years of development away.

I certainly don't see them being anywhere near the Kings, Ducks or Sharks, or even the Canucks. I also don't see them surpassing the Yotes, who play great systems hockey.

I do see the Canucks having a significant drop, they won't drop out of the playoffs because the Oilers and Flames are both horrible.

At some point, if the Oilers don't make the playoffs they're going to have to gut that front office. I know it wouldn't be fair to Mac-T as he's new to the roll, but the organization might need a fresh direction.

I also predict that one of the big 4 will be moved or demand a trade.

On a side note, I just don't see the Leafs making the playoffs this year. They had great success because of a shortened season, but an 82 game season is a big one. I also think that Montreal will struggle a lot this year as well. Winnipeg is in a relatively weak division with the exception of St Louis and the Hawks theres nothing there.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 08-22-2013 at 09:29 AM.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:40 AM   #4
1991 Canadian
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
You know who was number 1.
Chris Butler?
1991 Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1991 Canadian For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2013, 09:46 AM   #5
Soliak
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991 Canadian View Post
Chris Butler?
Soliak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soliak For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2013, 10:19 AM   #6
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm willing to bet that the Flames and Jets won't be the only Canadian teams missing the playoffs this year. The wheels are going to fall off for at least one or possibly two of Ottawa, Toronto, or Montreal. As for the Oilers well see last year and the year before...
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:21 AM   #7
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

STL is not a cup contender. Lots of good players, no elite players.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:23 AM   #8
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don't think you need elite players provided you have enough depth. Boston didn't really have elite players besides Chara. The Canucks had more elite players than Boston actually.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinordi For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2013, 10:23 AM   #9
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Most of the Oilers improvement needs to come from within. Nuge had a terrible year last year but if he takes a huge step then the Oilers light as well. I do think Perron, Ference, and Gordon are upgrades on Pajaarvi, Whitney, and Horcoff but not substaitial. I also think Eakins is an upgrade on Kruger. With their kids getting older i think this is the year they push for a playoff spot but likely don't make it unless they leap frog Vancouver in the division which I could see happening
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2013, 10:28 AM   #10
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I'm willing to bet that the Flames and Jets won't be the only Canadian teams missing the playoffs this year. The wheels are going to fall off for at least one or possibly two of Ottawa, Toronto, or Montreal. As for the Oilers well see last year and the year before...
I read on flamesnation that the Leafs had the highest shooting % and 2nd worse possession of any team in the league last year. I am not sold at all they are a playoff team. Clarkson and Bolland are not huge upgrades on Grabovski and MacArthur. Bernier might be the key for them as I feel he is a solid starter in te making.

I think the Habs could go either way. I get a feeling Price will have a big year and become Canada's goalie in The Olympics. Ottawa will be a good team and the Bobby Ryan pickup was huge. I think Winnipeg will fit in nicely in the west as they are a big team. The additions of Frolik, Setoguchi, Trouba, and Schiefele is nothing to sneeze at
Old 08-22-2013, 10:31 AM   #11
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
I don't think you need elite players provided you have enough depth. Boston didn't really have elite players besides Chara. The Canucks had more elite players than Boston actually.
Tim Thomas was certainly elite at the time and a huge reason Boston won the series. Van scored 8 goals in 7 games
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2013, 10:49 AM   #12
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Someone had tweeted the Sports Forecaster predictions earlier this week. They had the Jets, Flames, Oilers and Canucks missing the playoffs. And east teams making them.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Last edited by MissTeeks; 08-22-2013 at 10:53 AM.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #13
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Tim Thomas was certainly elite at the time and a huge reason Boston won the series. Van scored 8 goals in 7 games
A goalie on St. Louis did it 3 years ago with Montreal so I think the pedigree is there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinordi For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2013, 11:11 AM   #14
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
STL is not a cup contender. Lots of good players, no elite players.
They have great depth. And good young teams often get bounced in the playoffs a couple times before they make a run. Tarasenko could be the game-breaking sniper they've been waiting for. And I think their goalie situation will stabilize this year.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:13 AM   #15
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTeeks View Post
Someone had tweeted the Sports Forecaster predictions earlier this week. They had the Jets, Flames, Oilers and Canucks missing the playoffs. And east teams making them.

I could see that especially out west. I think Montreal is a 50/50 to make it in. Toronto and Ottawa will both make it.

I know posters don't like Toronto but i think they improved enough this year to stay in. Bolland as a #3 center is better than having Grabovski as #3. Clarkson was paid way to much but is a big upgrade on MacCarthur. I really like Bernier and think he will be a #1 goalie going forward. At worst he is an upgrade on Scrivens as a back-up.

Ottawa has great coaching. Even though fans and media are upset on the Alfie situation, they made a huge leap forward having Ryan on the team instead of Alfie. Anderson has been great for them. Even if he gets hurt again i think they have a #1 goalie in Lehner. I do think they will miss Gonchar.

As for west teams:

I think Edmonton takes another small step forward but just misses out on the playoffs.

Vancouver is a wild card either way. It could all come together or it could all fall apart. Media and fans will be ready to pounce once the first sign of a losing streak comes up. It could really snowball on them.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:36 AM   #16
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Highly doubt Vancouver falls out of it this year. Torts is excellent at squeezing water from the stone and that roster is well suited to play his defensive style. They'll be in it all the way again this season.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:40 AM   #17
Joker
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Highly doubt Vancouver falls out of it this year. Torts is excellent at squeezing water from the stone and that roster is well suited to play his defensive style. They'll be in it all the way again this season.

I think boom or bust with Torts - leaning towards boom. But it could be a complete disaster as his coaching style is a contrast to the current style the canucks are playing. That said they do have some very intellegent players, so who knows. will be interesting.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:45 AM   #18
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I would probably put there % in the make playoffs for this year. I agree that Torts can squeeze whats left out of them in the short term. There are other variables on this team that it could snowball out of control though. I really believe the local media is ready to pounce on the first sign of trouble.

The interesting part will be if Torts squeezes what he needs out of the players for this year, then what happens going forward? I could see the Sedins being re-signed to a final contract. I could really see them becoming what the Flames were for the last couple of years.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:51 AM   #19
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

The team is going to give up on torts, and they were declining in the first place. Vancouver will not make the playoffs.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:02 PM   #20
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
I could see that especially out west. I think Montreal is a 50/50 to make it in. Toronto and Ottawa will both make it.

I know posters don't like Toronto but i think they improved enough this year to stay in. Bolland as a #3 center is better than having Grabovski as #3. Clarkson was paid way to much but is a big upgrade on MacCarthur. I really like Bernier and think he will be a #1 goalie going forward. At worst he is an upgrade on Scrivens as a back-up.

Why?

Grabovski is miles better offensively and as far as defensively a bit of a wash with Bolland being a bit better and certainly stronger physically.