Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2013, 11:57 AM   #161
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyBeers View Post
For a second I thought you were talking about Mike Rogers and I was like what, he is the only guy on the FAN who ever critcizes the Flames. He is also the only guy on the FAN who is not really an employee of the station, I would imagine he is on contract work on a per game basis as you never hear Rogers outside of an hour before the game, during the game and an hour after the game. There might be a reason why he is the only one who really criticizes the organization. I wish they had more Mike Rogers, by far the best hockey analyst in the city.
I do like Mike Rogers, but he should be careful. Doug Barkley was a critic too, and I believe he was let go for being too critical of the team.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:01 PM   #162
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
"That place" existed 60 years before there was a Flames team in town. When they made the switch to all sports and the CHUM brand, it didnt have the Flames broadcast IIRC...660 still had that honour.
I wasn't suggesting the callsign would be eliminated, but The Fan would have about 12 listeners without the Flames.

60 years as a country music station is sort of irrelevant to the comment I was making.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #163
EddyBeers
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier View Post
I do like Mike Rogers, but he should be careful. Doug Barkley was a critic too, and I believe he was let go for being too critical of the team.
Barkley was great, loved him too, but maybe they did not trust that he was seeing what he was seeing....
EddyBeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:15 PM   #164
Lentulus Batiatus
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Golden View Post
Ever spoke with him 1 on 1? I have several times he is as used car salesman as they come. Edwards won't fire King because he makes him $.
A hockey man he is not.

Enlighten me with your sense of knowledge wise one
I've spoken with King many times. Sure he may sound like a used car salesman, or a good businessman of any type. That's what he is. The team is profitable, moving forward with a new building (and doing so quietly while letting the idiots up North make all the mistakes publicly) and there is even continued improvements, to the degree it's feasible, of the current building. There's a farm system, community involvement and on and on. The list of KK's accomplishments far outweighs your petty dislike because of the manner in which he, a good businessman, speaks. But keep on hating blindly and hoping for another good "used car salesman who will rub you the wrong way" to take over and hopefully do as good a job.
Lentulus Batiatus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lentulus Batiatus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2013, 12:26 PM   #165
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentulus Batiatus View Post
I've spoken with King many times. Sure he may sound like a used car salesman, or a good businessman of any type. That's what he is. The team is profitable, moving forward with a new building (and doing so quietly while letting the idiots up North make all the mistakes publicly) and there is even continued improvements, to the degree it's feasible, of the current building. There's a farm system, community involvement and on and on. The list of KK's accomplishments far outweighs your petty dislike because of the manner in which he, a good businessman, speaks. But keep on hating blindly and hoping for another good "used car salesman who will rub you the wrong way" to take over and hopefully do as good a job.

Getting thru one playoff series since 1989?
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:29 PM   #166
EddyBeers
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
In fairness to King, if they are not meddling in hockey decisions it is not his job to win on the ice. I am hoping they are meddling in the hockey decisions and telling these guys we have to win now, because if they are not and our hockey ops guys are so dumb as to think that this team is actually close to succeeding and thus they should have not be sellers over the last two deadlines the hockey side of the operation is in big trouble.
EddyBeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:34 PM   #167
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodlad View Post
What? Are the Flames the only organization in the league with an assistant GM now? I'm sure every single discussion about a trade at some point ends in "Let me talk to my team about it and we'll get back to you."
It's not so much that as it is more that he's not a hockey guy and other GM's are more likely to try pulling a fast one on him cause they know he's weak.

I can't think of any situation where he's done real well in a trade. It seems he always has to pay just a little more than what. He wants to get things done.

For example, said he didn't want to trade picks, ends up trading a second In the Cammy deal (sure he says it was for Ramo, but I'm not really buying it, I think the Habs threw RAmo in just to help Feaster save a little face), also bad mouths Sutter about nmc and ntc, hands our a few of his own to average players, the extra 2nd for Kotalik, again, Regier sensed weakness and pushed.

The classic is the Comeau one, offers the guy a two year when a one year would suffice.

It would just be nice to have him win a few trades and get the little extra rather than being the guy who always has to give more.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:34 PM   #168
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
In fairness to King, if they are not meddling in hockey decisions it is not his job to win on the ice. I am hoping they are meddling in the hockey decisions and telling these guys we have to win now, because if they are not and our hockey ops guys are so dumb as to think that this team is actually close to succeeding and thus they should have not be sellers over the last two deadlines the hockey side of the operation is in big trouble.
I see what you are saying but talk about job security when you don't have any ramifications or responsibilities for a floundering franchise.

I think only prince Harry has a better gig
Old 03-15-2013, 12:51 PM   #169
Lentulus Batiatus
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
So you are holding him accountable for everything the occurred prior to his hire and through a completely locked-out season? Good to know. Never mind the 5 straight seasons in the playoffs with years of improvement leading up to that which began around the time King was brought in. Completely discounting everything else previously mentioned and I'm sure an massive list of positive that goes beyond that. Even the recent playoff misses have been dealt with by King in changing GM's and getting rid of the only coach that's been hired under his watch who's failed to make the playoffs after the predecessors all did. Good, sound reasoning for sure!
The Following User Says Thank You to Lentulus Batiatus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2013, 01:02 PM   #170
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
There's a farm system,...
The same farm system that’s among the lowest in attendance and losing money? The same farm system that's on the verge of moving for the 6th time since he's been president? The same farm system the flames were nice enough to prove viable so their NW rivals could eventually move into(reported)? The same farm system that he dissolved completely in 2003 in favour placing Flames prospects at the mercy of the Carolina hurricanes coaching staff?
he might have made some good business decisions, but the farm system has been a disaster.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:05 PM   #171
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
So you are holding him accountable for everything the occurred prior to his hire and through a completely locked-out season? Good to know. Never mind the 5 straight seasons in the playoffs with years of improvement leading up to that which began around the time King was brought in. Completely discounting everything else previously mentioned and I'm sure an massive list of positive that goes beyond that. Even the recent playoff misses have been dealt with by King in changing GM's and getting rid of the only coach that's been hired under his watch who's failed to make the playoffs after the predecessors all did. Good, sound reasoning for sure!
I'm sorry, I have different definitions of accomplishments. I see your points as more of a " participation" medal for a team President.
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoho For This Useful Post:
Jsp
Old 03-15-2013, 01:21 PM   #172
Lentulus Batiatus
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
The same farm system that’s among the lowest in attendance and losing money? The same farm system that's on the verge of moving for the 6th time since he's been president? The same farm system the flames were nice enough to prove viable so their NW rivals could eventually move into(reported)? The same farm system that he dissolved completely in 2003 in favour placing Flames prospects at the mercy of the Carolina hurricanes coaching staff?
he might have made some good business decisions, but the farm system has been a disaster.
LOL your own facts blow up your entire argument right in your face, but good try!

Quote:
I'm sorry, I have different definitions of accomplishments. I see your points as more of a " participation" medal for a team President.
You are funny. Moronic, but funny.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:51 PM   #173
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Barkley was great, loved him too, but maybe they did not trust that he was seeing what he was seeing....
I grew up listening to Maher and Barkley on QR. Seems like such a long time ago now, probably because it is. Really liked Barkley's commentating.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:52 PM   #174
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I'm sure K. King will get around to making the Flames a good hockey club eventually, assuming he can squeeze that into his busy schedule.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2013, 09:00 PM   #175
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

No question King has shored up the business and community involvement ties in his decade here.

Whether he's overstepped his bounds and gotten his hand in hockey matters more than just the conduit between hockey ops and the owners, is another matter entirely.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote