Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2016, 09:25 AM   #81
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

I assume there is no expansion because we don't even know what the rules for expansion are yet.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 12:53 PM   #82
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
I assume there is no expansion because we don't even know what the rules for expansion are yet.
You're most likely right, but it feels like that's something they could come up with in-house for now, then tighten up the rules for next season. Although I suppose it causes some other logistical issues like playoff balance and such.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 01:56 PM   #83
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

so far the news has been quite disappointing.

i wanted way more news about be a gm, and having control of prices, etc, was NOT important at all. Confirmed that you still can't try to sign upcoming free agents mid-season, no signs of any update on scouting, and player progression is also disappointing.

the game play updates sound the same as every year, better AI, better skating controls, etc, so not sure if it means anything or not. After hearing about defensive AI improvements year after year after year, it's still amazing that my CPU dman can't manage to cover the guy in front of the net while i'm controlling the other dman pressuring the puck.

anyways, at least madden 17 looks pretty slick. the in year updating commentary video that just released today seems pretty cool.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 02:06 PM   #84
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
i wanted way more news about be a gm, and having control of prices, etc, was NOT important at all. Confirmed that you still can't try to sign upcoming free agents mid-season
Yep, still disappointing and completely baffling. Like -- it really can't be that hard to program, can it? It's just such a weird unrealistic thing that has persisted in the game forever. It's supposed to be a simulation, not an arcade-y whatever we feel like type mode. Same as when they capped the years a contract could be at like 6 or 7 years (even though at the time, the CBA allowed players to sign longer contracts) and made it so you couldn't structure contracts AT ALL. They got paid the same amount every year, period.

If anyone from EA is reading this: contracts are one of the key components of simulating being a GM. This should absolutely be the one thing that is focused on being perfect and authentic. If we are allowed to adjust ticket prices at the stadium, but somehow, bafflingly still don't have the ability to negotiate with players mid-season, your priorities are way off and I would question if you even have any idea what you're doing at all.
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2016, 02:11 PM   #85
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
Damn. That page confirms my concern... there's relocation but no expansion. I was hoping to build a team of misfit toys cast off from the other teams.
Start with the canucks and move them......

Or the Devils.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ernie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2016, 03:53 PM   #86
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm jacked on the news so far, this game seems great. As long as they track cumulative stats and display them in game, I'm a for sure buy.

Granted, I play a ton of HUT.....
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:05 PM   #87
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
I'm jacked on the news so far, this game seems great. As long as they track cumulative stats and display them in game, I'm a for sure buy.

Granted, I play a ton of HUT.....
I'm not holding my breath for a GD minute waiting for cumulative stats to show after goals. It feels like I've been waiting for a decade for that to return.
Old 06-09-2016, 08:11 PM   #88
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not holding my breath for a GD minute waiting for cumulative stats to show after goals. It feels like I've been waiting for a decade for that to return.
Such an amazingly simple thing to have, yet here we are
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:46 AM   #89
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And, since I do a lot of 'Be a GM' simulation...

On the goals scored during the sim, show who got the assists. And add the cumulative totals they have and display that. It's annoying having to dig into the stats and organize them after every game to see who picked up assists and how guys are doing overall.
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2016, 09:59 AM   #90
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Re: Cumulative Goal Totals

A perfect example of the little things that make for an immersive experience. Sometimes, regardless of some players' gripes, changes and inclusions do not have to be grand or groundbreaking. Start by getting the little things right and go from there.

Of course, getting something as crucial as player progression and functional drafting wouldn't be a bad start either...

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:43 AM   #91
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Re: Cumulative Goal Totals

A perfect example of the little things that make for an immersive experience. Sometimes, regardless of some players' gripes, changes and inclusions do not have to be grand or groundbreaking. Start by getting the little things right and go from there.

Of course, getting something as crucial as player progression and functional drafting wouldn't be a bad start either...
I'd just like players to age a single year at a time every season.

You know, after 22 comes 23, not 34.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2016, 11:34 AM   #92
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
I'd just like players to age a single year at a time every season.

You know, after 22 comes 23, not 34.
I've never made it that far for the glitch to show itself. I got 7 seasons in and the game began crashing every time I went to edit lines.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 02:53 PM   #93
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Looks like the amazon E3 sale has the game at $63 (ish). I'm a big fan of the series, but it was on sale for $40 by Christmas last year, so I think I'll just wait it out again.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:52 PM   #94
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Looks like the amazon E3 sale has the game at $63 (ish). I'm a big fan of the series, but it was on sale for $40 by Christmas last year, so I think I'll just wait it out again.
I'm thinking I might do the same unless I end up getting a job at EA and only have to pay $20. I'm finding I don't really play it all that much until after Christmas anyway with all the other games I get in the fall.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:00 PM   #95
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://wegotthiscovered.com/gaming/n...eview-e3-2016/

That doesn't sound like the game improvements are that impact full.... and a nasty bug caught in the pre-release one would hope is inevitably fixed prior to the release.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:51 PM   #96
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If the first trailer is to be believed, it would appear you'll need to start saving some pennies.

Feature list revealed: https://www.easports.com/nhl/features

It's a bit unclear if you can have an expansion franchise in GM mode or if you can just move a pre-existing one. Hoping for the former.
Dear EA,

That is a photograph of Halifax, not Hamilton. Keen eye for detail.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:50 AM   #97
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, EA is doing a beta for NHL 17. Game modes include Online versus, HUT, and EASHL. https://www.easports.com/nhl/beta
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2016, 11:28 AM   #98
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Looking forward to getting a chance at the beta. My assumption is it won't feel terribly different at all, but I suppose you never know.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:55 PM   #99
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ok, the last one I bought was NHL 14. What I got was the stupidest AI I have ever seen in a video game. Multiple times in a game a player would shoot it in to make a line change before reaching the red line even though nobody was near him which resulted in icing. Your teammates in the defensive zone just rim it around the boards blindly all the time and usually the other team gets possession. You call for a pass to enter the offensive zone and half the time the AI decides to just dump it in. It was a freakin terrible game so my question is did anything improve with 16? Or was it the same crap product.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 01:20 AM   #100
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

AI is better than it was in NHL 14, but it's still not good.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote