Old 03-20-2016, 11:20 AM   #241
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I like Shaw Go Wifi, but I hate everything else:

- the aforementioned video buffering problem - especially on my Win10 laptop
- should I say, interesting download speeds
- the cost

Telus hotspots are few and far between, and nothing's as widespread as Shaw is, though, so Shaw it is.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 01:15 PM   #242
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Shaw Go WiFi and the Free Range TV apps are killer. Hard to beat that combination. Rarely does my known not connect to a Shaw wifi hotspot in the city.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2016, 01:23 PM   #243
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Another plus for Shaw Go WiFi.
Even in smaller towns it is almost everywhere.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 02:11 PM   #244
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hate Shaw more than any other company in the world.

Another reason to be pissed - I have a small flat panel tv mounted high up in my ensuite, for morning news, sports etc. Hooked up by coax straight out of the wall. Was running non HD low channels which was fine.

Now with their recent upgrades to full digital I need a cable box to receive any channels at all. And there is no room for a box anywhere. Their advice: too bad for me.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 02:26 PM   #245
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Shaw wifi is in every rink I frequent here in town.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:52 PM   #246
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post

Another reason to be pissed - I have a small flat panel tv mounted high up in my ensuite, for morning news, sports etc. Hooked up by coax straight out of the wall. Was running non HD low channels which was fine.

Now with their recent upgrades to full digital I need a cable box to receive any channels at all. And there is no room for a box anywhere. Their advice: too bad for me.
I would check Kijiji or the buy and sell here. Often you can get a used box for massive discount. If you are paying for HD then I would get a cheap used stand alone HD box. I got one for $50 last year on Kijiji.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 11:02 PM   #247
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Or connect the other end of the coax to an antenna, and get free local channels in HD over the air. CBC, CTV, Global, City should take care of the morning news. Sports, well, not so much.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 09:14 AM   #248
MrCallahan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

That's not just a SHAW thing either, that will be all Cable providers soon enough. They want to free up the analog ranges to make more room for digital services.
MrCallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrCallahan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2016, 10:03 PM   #249
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Anyone else's Shaw internet been acting weird lately? I recently got the New Hitron modem as well as a whole new internet plan and modem, so isolating it will be impossible.

Basically sometimes, things like Youtube videos, some web pages, wont start loading or will load a bit and then stop buffering all together. Even when that happens I'll run a speedtest which always nets me ~34Mbps (internet 30) with fine ping.

I've got the Hitron modem on their equivalent of bridge mode, an Archer C7 router, and the computer in question is hard-wired.
Any other ideas on this? Seems like a google thing (Youtube, maps, etc) are slow to load, as well as a few other non-google sites. Everything else remains blazingly fast.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 11:33 PM   #250
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Any other ideas on this? Seems like a google thing (Youtube, maps, etc) are slow to load, as well as a few other non-google sites. Everything else remains blazingly fast.
Are you using windows 10 and do the web pages in question have flash content on them? If some pages are fast and others slow, I wonder if this might be a computer issue, not internet issue.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:15 AM   #251
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

You guys ever try changing your DNS server? I've had spotty response time with Shaw DNS in the past and just use the Google servers instead.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psicodude For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2016, 09:48 AM   #252
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
You guys ever try changing your DNS server? I've had spotty response time with Shaw DNS in the past and just use the Google servers instead.
Please explain more? I've tinkered with DNS in the past, but never felt a need to do so in Windows 7 and later, so I haven't really thought or considered it. Was it a significant difference? My issues seem resolved for now (going from a 2 internal antenna motorola cable modem to a brand new 16 internal antenna Hitron modem usually can do that), but I wouldn't mind keeping the DNS idea in the back of my pocket for future considerations.

EDIT: Just realized I'm incorrect. I have already tweaked to used Google DNS and continued to do so in Windows 7 and later.

Last edited by DoubleF; 03-23-2016 at 09:59 AM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 05:42 PM   #253
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Have you tried a different browser or disabling your add-ons?
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 12:08 PM   #254
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Are you using windows 10 and do the web pages in question have flash content on them? If some pages are fast and others slow, I wonder if this might be a computer issue, not internet issue.
Its Win 7; and only seems to be since I got the new Hitron modem & service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Have you tried a different browser or disabling your add-ons?
Yes, so to illustrate, if I take a random Youtube video, set it to 720p, and then often it'll take 10 seconds to buffer. Same if I just forward in the video.
It's not all the time, but its also not based on area load, as happens even at quiet times. Other times its fine though.

For example, this took 12 seconds to buffer once I put it to 720p, and stuggled to keep enough buffer ahead of the video as it played.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 12:15 PM   #255
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Has to be your modem or connection. Just did it over wifi and a Windows 7 machine hardwired to the Cisco DPC3848v and worked flawlessly. Even gained on the playback. I'm on the old BB50 50/5.

Last edited by keratosis; 03-24-2016 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:20 PM   #256
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Had Shaw come out a few years back for the same problem, they replaced connectors outside at the box and coming into the house and all has been good since.
Old 03-25-2016, 12:52 PM   #257
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
Thanks for this. I configured on my router it a few days ago and a huge improvement.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 07:00 AM   #258
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

You need a hdmi over coax converter, something like this. http://muxlab.com/pro-digital/hdmi-o...x-extender-kit

The cable box will sit in the utility room, or wherever the coax originates from.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:30 AM   #259
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's a cool trick, didn't know you could do that. I guess you would also need an IR blaster though.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 10:42 AM   #260
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
That's a cool trick, didn't know you could do that. I guess you would also need an IR blaster though.
Yes you do, there are many types. This one has IR built in: http://www.hdtvsupply.com/hdmi-to-coaxial-adapter.html